PDA

View Full Version : Ride on Lawn Mower Tip

wbleeker
03-10-2011, 01:25 AM
I bought a secondhand John Deere 1445 lawn mower the other day, this morning I went to put new blades on it, it has a 6 foot cut, so three blades around 2 foot. I tried a rattle gun to undo the blade centre bolt with no luck, then I tried a 3/4 drive socket with a bit of pipe for extra leverage and couldn't stop the whole lot from turning?
My solution- I found a piece of pipe just short of half the blade length, slipped it over one blade then turned another blade until the tips lined up, then slid the pipe along the blade so that it joined the two blades together which effectively stopped the blades from turning and allowed me to change a full set in ten minutes on my own!
You can use pipe or square tube or a bit of channel with a keeper welded on top.
Will

J. Randall
03-10-2011, 02:14 AM
Good tip will, I usually grab my giant channellock pump pliers, but I will give that a try this spring.
Thanks James

garagemark
03-10-2011, 06:59 AM
That is a very good tip, though I've never seen blades tight enough that a rattle gun wouldn't easily loosen. They may have been too tight to begin with.

Ridgerunner
03-10-2011, 07:50 AM
I usually stick a block of wood in and let the blade wedge against it. The wood keeps the blade edges from getting damaged.

Carld
03-10-2011, 08:07 AM
That's a good idea to remove them since your going to sharpen them anyway. When I put them on I use a heavy glove to hold the blade as I tighten it with the impact wrench. You don't really have to make them extra tight and it's a good idea to put a little oil in the nut threads.

bruto
03-10-2011, 11:10 AM
I had a similar problem with a single bladed mower (Kut Kwick) with a 36 inch blade. Solved by taking a part of an old floor post, squashing the end to slip over the blade, and turning until it engaged a part of the deck. The only problem over the years has been to keep kids and well meaning spouses, etc. from carrying it off. I finally had to paint a label on it, saying "this is a tool, not scrap."

Alistair Hosie
03-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Any of you great, wonderful, smashing ,top notch,highly intelligent guys wanting to come with your ride on mowers and cut my grass please feel free :DAlistair p.s. I won't charge you much think what fun you'll have. Alistair

hoof
03-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Not only do I like that tip. I am certain I will be using it. Thanks alot.

Ray

justanengineer
03-10-2011, 04:15 PM
I simply use my foot on one of the other blades to keep them from spinning...AFTER I disconnect the mower's ignition of course. I learned working on the golf course as a kid not to take chances with things meant to cut from a guy who had lost a few digits because he took a chance.

Boucher
03-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Reassemble it with some anti-seze compound and next time it will come off with the impact. Blades do need to be put back together clean and tight but not strip the threads tight.

SteveF
03-10-2011, 07:44 PM
I have to sharpen my blades about every 6 weeks. They come off with an impact wrench and holding the blade with a glove without a problem. I don't use anything on the threads and tighten them lightly with the impact wrench but haven't had one come loose. So what if it comes loose, the blade will just stop spinning.

Steve

spope14
03-10-2011, 08:47 PM
I love this idea. I have a two blade riding mower that I struggle with to get the blades off. Hopefully I remember this about July 25th when the snow finally melts.....

wierdscience
03-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Ihave customers come in every summer who discover that they're mower spindles are lefthand thread:D

Neat tip though!

justanengineer
03-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Ihave customers come in every summer who discover that they're mower spindles are lefthand thread:D

Neat tip though!

Only the foreign ones. All the good old American Iron Ive had were traditional right handed...Gravely, old John Deere (not new MTD JD), IHC...all RH thread.

CCWKen
03-10-2011, 11:30 PM
I've got four ride-ons and three walk behinds and there ain't a one that will cut grass at the moment. Between flat tires, broken belts, dead batteries and one smoking engine it's hard to keep the B.I.L. stocked with equipment. :rolleyes:

Great tip by the way. The only problem I've had is getting the blades off a shredder though.