PDA

View Full Version : Free light in your shop.

gary350
03-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zMAWztZ6TI

aboard_epsilon
03-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Good idea..
but not keen on putting holes in my roof

how about a load of bottles somewhere else ..and linked to bottles inside via hose pipe ..would this work.

all the best.markj

Arthur.Marks
03-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Believe it or not, my Grandma has that in her house (basically): http://www.solatube.com/

aboard_epsilon
03-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Believe it or not, my Grandma has that in her house (basically): http://www.solatube.com/

yeah but , no but ..costs a fortune.

would light captured by one of these things ..travel along a hose pipe like a fibre optic ..then light up another one inside a room ..thats the question .

you could even place around it, a load of old cd's to direct light at it.

all the best.mark

Boucher
03-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Holes in roof = Leakes in roof

BadDog
03-10-2011, 06:46 PM
My new house and shop has a number of those "light pipes" in place. From what I've read, they are no more likely to leak than a common roof vent, and the provide so much light that during the day we almost never turn on lights in much of the house. There are also 6 (I think) in my shop, and during the day it's so bright, the first time I was out there with the agent, we all spent a minute or so looking for a light switch to turn off when we were leaving the building. :o It's still new to me, but I think I'm going to like it very well.

Dr Stan
03-10-2011, 07:07 PM
When I built my shop I installed three sky lights. It just so happened I was in the process of sheeting the roof and was at Lowes and saw three manual opening sky lights on clearance. They were initially just over $300 each and were on sale for $100 each. They sure supply a lot of light and ventilation. I did have a leak on one of the lights, but was able to seal it with roofing tar. IMO they were well worth the effort and of course the price was very good.

Most of the time in the summer I do not even use my central AC as the ventilation from the sky lights helps to keep the temp down.

SteveF
03-10-2011, 07:38 PM
I have things that let free light into my shop.

I call them "windows". :D

Steve

Tinkerer
03-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Would not work here... first freeze would crack the bottle. I've had it with water leaking thru the shop with all this blasted rain. Not gonna invite it in thur the roof :rolleyes: no way.

darryl
03-10-2011, 08:36 PM
So they 'turn off' automatically do they- what about at night, do they suck light out of the room? Yes they do. It's great piping sunlight into the house, I'm not arguing that. It needs to go a few steps further- all the light that enters those things should be caused to go into a totally internally reflective 'containment vessel'. It would just keep building in intensity until you tapped some off to light what you wanted to. 8 hrs of bright sunlight should equate to 16 hrs of half-bright light- more than bright enough to use AT NIGHT, WHEN YOU NEED IT! :)

Of course no such thing exists yet, not outside of a black hole anyway.

Dr Stan
03-10-2011, 08:42 PM
I have things that let free light into my shop.

I call them "windows". :D

Steve

I chose not to install windows for two reasons. 1) increased wall space and 2) increased security. While its not Ft Knox, it would be extremely difficult to break into my shop without being caught in the act.

aboard_epsilon
03-10-2011, 08:59 PM
So they 'turn off' automatically do they- what about at night, do they suck light out of the room? Yes they do. It's great piping sunlight into the house, I'm not arguing that. It needs to go a few steps further- all the light that enters those things should be caused to go into a totally internally reflective 'containment vessel'. It would just keep building in intensity until you tapped some off to light what you wanted to. 8 hrs of bright sunlight should equate to 16 hrs of half-bright light- more than bright enough to use AT NIGHT, WHEN YOU NEED IT! :)

Of course no such thing exists yet, not outside of a black hole anyway.

you may be onto something there .

some bacterial substance that absorbs light ..and gives it out again..on demand...like the heat pad warmers...example are some plankton in the sea fluoresces at night

bet something exists like that ..but hasn't been exploited .

could make someone very rich .

all the best.markj

J Tiers
03-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Ages ago, we put skylights in the garage roof, at the time it was re-roofed. Plastic-framed ones from Builder's Square. Everyone said the roof would leak and we would be replacing them or re-roofing again.

I have no idea how long it has been, probably 20 years, considering that Builder's Square has been gone for a long time.... and nary a leak yet. Even trees have fallen on the roof. If they leak tomorrow, they will still have been worth the money.

Every time I go into the in-law's shed, and need a flashlight at noon, I am happy that we put the skylights in. It's bright in our garage in the daytime.

Ausserdog
03-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Old wood sailing ships used to put special glass prisms in the decks of the ship for the same purpose. I think they were selling copies of them not too long ago. Last place I saw the ad was in Smithsonian magazine.

Alistair Hosie
03-11-2011, 01:17 PM
A couple of decent bottles of whiskey in the house and you won't need the light :DAlistair

Toolguy
03-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Thanks Alistair! I'm beginning to see the light!

jugs
03-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Old wood sailing ships used to put special glass prisms in the decks of the ship for the same purpose. I think they were selling copies of them not too long ago. Last place I saw the ad was in Smithsonian magazine.

Like this -

http://www.boatdeckprism.com/

john
:)

Forrest Addy
03-11-2011, 03:38 PM
So-o-o-o when it freezes...

BlindViper
03-11-2011, 04:40 PM
I have those solar light tubs in my kitchen. Not sure on the price as they were here when we bought the house. But during the day you don't need the lights on. People have even tried to use the light switch to turn them off.

jkilroy
03-11-2011, 08:56 PM
That would work great if there wasn't a house on top of my shop. And considering that my roof is mostly FLAT there is no way in hell I'm cutting a hole in it.

darryl
03-11-2011, 09:41 PM
I wouldn't cut holes in my roof like that, but what I would do is design a light collection system and pipe light into the structure possibly though an end gable or directly into a growing room. If you're going to do it, might as well do a decent system.

I haven't checked, but it might be possible to line a pvc duct of some type with reflective material- something that would not absorb light grazing by at shallow angles. This way you could send light some distance, then have it illuminate a ceiling fixture of some kind which would disperse the light into the area. You could install a whole house system in the attic, fed from a single 'collection area'. This area would in turn be fed light from a tracking collector on the roof.

jugs
03-12-2011, 03:49 AM
Like this (http://www.solaskylights.com/index.html?gclid=CPWZ5LrOyKcCFcod4Qod81ApEA)

We've fitted 2 8" in our house, they are amazing, on a dull overcast day you get 60w GLS worth of light, on a bright sunny day about 200w GLS worth.

The max distance you can usefully transmit light is approx 15m.

Fiber-optics would be a very expensive option.

john
:)