PDA

View Full Version : Material sources near Portland, OR

aero
07-13-2001, 04:52 PM
I know there are some guys from the Portland, OR area here - you've helped me out before (thanks). Do you have any suggestions on where to get small quantities of metal for a home shop? Do most machine shops sell scrap to the public or do they pretty much sell it all to recycle? Thanks for the help.

Ron LaDow
07-13-2001, 11:24 PM
Aero,
OnLine Metals is in your neigborhood. Try www.onlinemetals.com (http://www.onlinemetals.com) I buy small sections from them.
Ron LaDow

JimWolford
07-14-2001, 02:05 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by aero:
[B]I know there are some guys from the Portland, OR area here - you've helped me out before (thanks). Do you have any suggestions on where to get small quantities of metal for a home shop?

aero: do you live in town?
I buy steel from Pacific Metals and Tool Steel, they have offcuts and rems for really low prices and you know what alloy you are buying.
Aluminum offcuts and rems I get from Pacific Metals Co. on 3400 SW Bond for $2/lb or $1.50 if over 20 lbs
Copper and brass offcuts and rems I get from Alaskan Copper and Brass, 2440 SE Raymond.

If you know the city, its possible to hit all three places in one trip.
JIm

Randy
07-14-2001, 08:25 PM
You can get square tube, angles, and other structural shapes, one or a few lengths at a time at The Steel Yard on NE Columbia Blvd. at Cully. They also have a surplus & scrap yard (across Cully) for hunks of heavy stuff. U-Fab Steel in Tigard is another source tor structural rems, plus they're next door to British Steel Alloys so they get rems of alloy shaft material. Apparently the steel comes from the mill with very rough ends and they saw off the "heels", so if you need a inch thick disk 4 or 6 or 12" in diameter that's the place. I've gotten sheet metal at REM Steel Sales (www.remsteel.com, not much of a website, you'd better call.) There's an outfit at 99th & Powell called Eastside Steel, never been there. Pacific Metal is now called Metals USA. Pacific Machinery & Tool Steel (www.pmtsco.com) for cold rolled 1018 steel, hot rolled alloys, mechanical tubing, etc. Good place for rems, but if you need something cut the cut charge is kind of high. Check out Wacky Willy's Surplus from time to time. Occasionally they have bits of metal, but it's a treasure trove of weird and wonderful stuff for hobbyists. Happy Shopping!

aero
07-16-2001, 03:29 PM
Wow - thanks guys... sounds like there are quite a few options available. Figured there were, just not sure what exactly. Thanks again for the help.