PDA

View Full Version : Planer

Dr Stan
03-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Didn't want to hijack the shaper thread so I decided to start another one.

As I have been stripping down my Fray I have noticed much of the machine work used to made the original machine was completed either on a very large shaper or a planer. The tool marks are a dead give away.

Forrest Addy
03-11-2011, 11:17 PM
I think you will find planer finishes on most machine tools. No other machine type including grinders can produce such fine, flat, low distortion surfaces on cast iron way bearings. If the work was well done and no alignments needed to be adjusted, about all that was necessary to complete the bearing is to cross scrape the surface and scrape it for bearing. Maybe a half dozen cuts.

Rich Carlstedt
03-12-2011, 04:11 AM
My favorite machine tool
Matthew Murray invented one in 1802 but kept it secret, when he invented the short stroke "D"valve for steam engines. James Watt was giving him fits with law suites, so he wasn't too free at that time to give away manufacturing processes. Matthew was probably one of the most brilliant self taught engineers to ever live and he is lost in history. He invented the tapered bearing, and you can thank him for around the clock 24/7 manufacturing operations, which he created to make steam engines in spite of Watt's desire to stop his foundry and machine shop production (Called "The Round Foundry")
Actually about 4 fellows had built Planners, but they give credit to Roberts about 1817
Rich