PDA

View Full Version : When using DRO be careful of r and d

Black Forest
03-12-2011, 11:24 AM
I am an idiot. I was making a part for my manure spreader and without knowing it somehow managed to switch from "diameter" to "radius". So on the operation I needed to take .10mm off a bushing I was making but I somehow managed to hit the button and switched from diameter to radius. When I measured I was .10mm under where I wanted to be.

I don't think I will make that mistake again anytime soon. The r and d should be bigger and flash!!!!Sound a tone.....maybe even shock me!

How come you all didn't protect me from myself!!!!!!!!!

crancshafter
03-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Hi Black Forest.
Exactly what you say.

"Try to notice the thing that happened just before the thing you didn't want to have happen happened! " ;-)

Best Regard

CS

jugs
03-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Been there done that, now I leave it on DIA & tape over the button. On the rare ocasion of wanting an exact radial movement (internal keyway) use DRO + maths or a TDI /clock gauge.

john
:)

lynnl
03-12-2011, 02:10 PM
That's the wonder of modern technology and automation.
Permits us to make our mistakes a lot faster and repeatably.

Without that DRO you'd have had to manually make that erroneous setting for radius, when you meant dia. ...would'a taken you probably twice as long. :)
See, this way you can get the bad one outta the way and get started on the accurate version all the quicker.

john11668
03-12-2011, 03:05 PM
On my cheap nasty singapore DRO you cant do that
You choose either R or D in the boot process so you cant cock it up just by pressing a button

Alistair Hosie
03-12-2011, 05:47 PM
John thats Schwartzwalds problem he just bought very expensive stuff or it was at onetime.He should have bought chinese then this would never have happened:DAlistair

john11668
03-12-2011, 07:47 PM
The expensive stuff probably came from the same factory !
But they brought it in the back door so they could put a classy badge on it :D

darryl
03-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Germany is a long way to go to give you a quick 'upside the head', but I think you've done that to yourself already anyway. :)

One other thing to watch for now is whether the R is in imperial and the D in metric- :rolleyes:

Carld
03-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Yes, that mistake it to easy to make and may not show it's self until it's to late.

I've been making parts yesterday and today and when you get tired after about 7+ hours and make mistakes it's time to close the shop.

Word to the wise, if you making parts out of oversize stock start with the big parts and when you screw up you can use the screwed up part to make the next smaller part. I started on the large stuff not even thinking about that but it did save my butt.

PeteF
03-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Well, you just got to spread some manure a bit earlier than you intended :p