PDA

View Full Version : OT: Pictures from Japan

wierdscience
03-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Found this link to some pretty amazing pics of the Earthquake in Japan.Amazing in the fact that anybody survived that is.

Reporters were comparing this to Katrina,but there is no comparison,this is much worse by a factor of 10.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1365569/Japan-earthquake-tsunami-10-000-people-missing-Minamisanriku-aftershocks-hamper-rescue-efforts.html

Tuckerfan
03-13-2011, 11:48 PM
The New York Times has an interesting (and sad) graphical comparison of satellite photos of various points in Japan before and after the quake, where the two are exactly overlaid and you can slide the before vs. after line around. Pretty stark imagery of how badly some areas were damaged. :(

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/13/world/asia/satellite-photos-japan-before-and-after-tsunami.html

Black_Moons
03-14-2011, 12:54 AM
Wow very cool. Amazing amounts of damage and destruction...

Seems weird to me seeing some buildings still exactly where they where, where as everything around them is gone.

A.K. Boomer
03-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Boy did they take a hit, I think the entire world will be amazed though - first they will stabilize (as long as they don't have a massive meltdown)
then like a hoard of pissed off army ants they will focus all energies on rebuilding in the most efficient manner,
As amazing as it will be its important to realize good ole mah nature always wins - she can do it all day long anywhere in one form or another and it cost her nuthin, she wants to be biatch - be prepared to get biatch slapped.

could be a worldwide lesson for a species hell bent on destroying itself and everything around it, kinda like she see's it and says "here --- lemmie give you a hand with that" :(

lynnl
03-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Very sickening scenes!

No intent to make light of the tragedy in any sense, but there won't be any shortage of scrap metal in Japan for some time to come.

The economic forecast for metal processors should be quite rosy indeed for the next few years.

aboard_epsilon
03-14-2011, 01:10 PM
They want to build them selves a wood fueled power station to get rid of all that scrap wood .

all the best.markj

fixerdave
03-14-2011, 03:10 PM
The New York Times has an interesting (and sad) graphical comparison of satellite photos of various points in Japan before and after the quake, where the two are exactly overlaid and you can slide the before vs. after line around. Pretty stark imagery of how badly some areas were damaged. :(

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/13/world/asia/satellite-photos-japan-before-and-after-tsunami.html

Yeah, sat/aerial photos hit it home for me. I got annoyed with the helicopter videos jumping around, found one 15min long bit someone loaded up on Youtube (with a stupid music soundtrack - why?), and spot-located events to Google Earth.

Then, I spent an hour or so just looking at the neighbourhoods that, well, aren't there any more. Dock areas (waterfront is Japan is not typically for the rich), some obviously poor areas - old cars in the yards, home gardens, farmer's houses and shops, a fishing clubhouse (by my guess), and, yes, a few upscale neighbourhoods too. Nature doesn't care about how much money you make. By looking at Google Earth, Sendai used to be a really nice place. I've been there, spent a few hours walking around town, but never made it to those beaches. I suppose bits of peoples lives will be washing up on them for the rest of the year: plastic toys, bits of house, shoes, mementos... they'll be a very sad place.

Another shot that hit home was that 3-story building with cars perched on the roof (not a parking roof). I'm the kind of guy that would think this building would be safer than running for the hills... what wave would be higher than a 3-story building?

I had to laugh though, a news report went by saying stocks in BC lumber companies had jumped by a few percent. Some stock adviser was saying the Japanese were going to preferentially rebuild with wood because wood-frame houses withstand earthquakes better. The idiot obviously never looked at the results. The only things left standing after this big bad wolf were concrete buildings made to code. Me, I'd be wanting to live in one that was at least 4 stories tall.

David...

mike os
03-14-2011, 04:29 PM
generally Japan has far more quakes than tsunami.( several hundred a year).. ergo build for quakes... & wood is an ideal material for that application

jugs
03-14-2011, 04:44 PM
A friend of ours is a lecturer at Kitasato University, he was lucky to be in Tokyo at the time, he has lost about 60 students.

john
:)

Ohio Mike
03-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Reports indicate that Japan moved at least 8 feet (closer to the US) and the quake moved earths pole alignment 4 inches. :eek:

Elninio
03-14-2011, 06:18 PM
I'd like to see what happened to the machine shops.

mike os
03-15-2011, 10:02 AM
I'd like to see what happened to the machine shops.

guess it takes flood coolant to a whole new level:D

lazlo
03-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Here's an updated link from the DailyMail with more pictures.

On top of all their other issues, they're going to have a lot of problems with all the corpses washing on shore: two thousand bodies were washed up on the shores of north-east Japan yesterday.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1366093/Japan-faces-2nd-earthquake-tsunami-2-000-bodies-wash-ashore.html

aboard_epsilon
03-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Wow ..washing their clothes in the river ..only 4 days after this event ..that is what i call adapting ..fast.

Some how ..i couldn't see the Brits or the Americans doing such a thing so soon.

i also notice that a lot of the roads are clear ..so someones given that priority...in any other country they would still be in the staring stage ......they are very organised ..and i think they will have their country functioning again ..very soon..a lot sooner than we could do it ..me thinks.

All the best.markj

lynnl
03-15-2011, 01:02 PM
Surprising they could get much cleaned up at all, with all the CNN correspondents there to stumble over.

The one uplifting sight in its absence: You don't see any looters making off with free boom boxes, IPods, TV's, etc.

cuslog
03-15-2011, 01:30 PM
The one uplifting sight in its absence: You don't see any looters making off with free boom boxes, IPods, TV's, etc.

I don't think you'd ever see that there. I've done business in Japan for 25+ years now. The Japanese people are very disciplined and very respectful of each other. Something the rest of the world could take a lesson from.

SGW
03-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Here is some up-close video taken from Japanese TV of the tsunami coming through a town. The water just keeps getting deeper and more violent.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1605260179420&comments