PDA

View Full Version : this weeks project new jig i designed

airsmith282
03-15-2011, 09:36 PM
new jig for working on the new model crosman 357 valves this was needed for my buddy as the old school way is so frustrating so he needed a fix so i disigned and built this one so i made one for my self as well , and one for sale so far it mounts in a vice then just drop in the valve and your all set to rock and roll...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/airsmith282/toy1.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/airsmith282/toy2.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/airsmith282/toy3.jpg

winchman
03-15-2011, 11:21 PM
Looks great, but please show us how it works.

Ken_Shea
03-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Not sure what it does but if looks have any merit, it looks real handy :)

metalmagpie
03-16-2011, 10:48 AM
looks handy for say picking wax out of your ears - what does it do?

airsmith282
03-16-2011, 11:21 AM
looks handy for say picking wax out of your ears - what does it do?

funny guy lol ok here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjczsgixs84

CCWKen
03-16-2011, 11:43 AM
I watched some of the video. (Too irritating having the light behind the subject.) I still don't understand the "jig" use. To me, it's just a tool like any other wrench. Do you call those snap ring pliers a jig too? Any hoo, nice finish on the parts. ;)

airsmith282
03-16-2011, 02:24 PM
I watched some of the video. (Too irritating having the light behind the subject.) I still don't understand the "jig" use. To me, it's just a tool like any other wrench. Do you call those snap ring pliers a jig too? Any hoo, nice finish on the parts. ;)

cant explain it any dummer .. its a jig for taking apart and putting back togeter a Crosman 357 c02 gas valve saftly , pretty much all explained perhaps you should have watched the entire video,, and no the snap ring pliers are not a jig never said they were

CCWKen
03-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Hopefully, this is dumb enough for you. All I'm saying is that it doesn't fit the definition for a "jig". It's tooling. :rolleyes:

That cabinet pull on the end of the stick looks nice though. (Since we can call things what ever we want.) :D

airsmith282
03-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Hopefully, this is dumb enough for you. All I'm saying is that it doesn't fit the definition for a "jig". It's tooling. :rolleyes:

That cabinet pull on the end of the stick looks nice though. (Since we can call things what ever we want.) :D

ok well considering you seem to know nothing about this jig then you may call it tooling but to better under stand you really need to watch the whole video who knows you might learn something ..

last time i checked this was a forum for machinest both new mid range and the well seasoned and when we make something or have a new tool to gloat or have a question we need help on we ask etc.

if you dont under stand the purpose of the jig or tool then you need to watch the whole video then youll know what it does...
PS iam in no way dumb, iam well educated perhaps sometime when you want to learn a new skill you might want to ask,,

this is what i do and teach

auto repair
auto body
welding
machining
guitar and trombone and piano
pellet gun repair and mods
computer repair and sofware debuging
house reovations IE all of it including pluming electricial ,framing,drywall and so on
small enigne repair
painting
electronics ,
hell i can even teach you how to cut down a tree the right way ...

iam not wanting to get into a debate over a brain pans with you , i have just simply posted what i have been upto this week and have more then expained it with pics and the video,sarcastic comments altho are made are not needed. if you dont want to watch the video then smiply listen to it and look at the pics and youll get the idea what it is,

there is a large difference between a jig and a tool and even a wrench and a screw driver this is a combo of a jig and tool combined if that better helps you to understand...

Peter N
03-16-2011, 07:01 PM
this is a combo of a jig and tool combined if that better helps you to understand...

Not wanting to throw any more wood on the fire, but it would perhaps be more accurate to call it a combination of a Fixture and a Tool.

Generally in mechanical terms, a 'Jig' is usually a means of applying or guiding the tool to the work -like a drilling Jig - whereas a 'Fixture' is a a means of positioning or guiding the work to the tool.

In many cases a device is often a combination of both.

Peter

JBL37
03-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Nice jig, In making the video, you are wearing short sleeve shirt. I want to know where you purchased the white grass?
Jim

Ken_Shea
03-16-2011, 08:52 PM
In many cases a device is often a combination of both.

Peter

That is exactly correct, in which case it is called a jig, just ask Wikipedia :D

Tony Ennis
03-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Nice solution, Airsmith

MotorradMike
03-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Well done.
I didn't get it until I watched your video.

I don't do anything with air guns but the video is one of your best.

CCWKen
03-16-2011, 09:45 PM
All I wanted to do is point out that your pieces are not normally referred to as a jig. No need to be fractious. If you teach as well as you learn, it's no wonder you can't hold down a steady job.

airsmith282
03-16-2011, 10:27 PM
All I wanted to do is point out that your pieces are not normally referred to as a jig. No need to be fractious. If you teach as well as you learn, it's no wonder you can't hold down a steady job.

in the airgun world this device is called a jig, i know in the machinest world it can also be refered to as a tool or a combaniton tool as some have mention ,but in proper terms given the device and its use it is for all purposes called a jig.. for thoes with respectful comments i thank you..

now i can hold down a job just fine by the way, back off on the flam junk please,

my only weakness's are spelling grammer andi cant write or print very well,

my skills in all the felids I work in are not in question and I do very well in all of them and make a decent living thanks..

David Powell
03-17-2011, 12:05 AM
Can come up with a complicated , expensive, difficult to use, jig, fixture or tool. It takes a smart fellow to make a simple,cheap, easy to use, jig ,fixture or tool. Often, when I see something like that I ask myself," Why didnt I think of that before I tried XXX." Putting it on the market is a sign of a confident inventor. Now if only it made tea or coffee and delivered it to my shop I might be in the market for one----. Lets see more of these minor inventions instead of hearing more griping about trivial things. Regards David Powell.

airsmith282
03-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Can come up with a complicated , expensive, difficult to use, jig, fixture or tool. It takes a smart fellow to make a simple,cheap, easy to use, jig ,fixture or tool. Often, when I see something like that I ask myself," Why didnt I think of that before I tried XXX." Putting it on the market is a sign of a confident inventor. Now if only it made tea or coffee and delivered it to my shop I might be in the market for one----. Lets see more of these minor inventions instead of hearing more griping about trivial things. Regards David Powell.

well said david , more inventions on the way but iam off for a few days, just ordered in a new 4 jaw chuck finelly, time to expand my skills another level :D :D

kbertoson
03-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Well Done! A solution to a difficult problem. Much safer taking the valve apart that way.

Guido
03-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Anyone getting the chance, should spend a day at Los Alamos, NM and include a visit to Dr. Oppenheimers' small, very spartan office. Several times the doctor rejected a nice, large coat tree for his overcoat and felt hat, due to the small size of his office.

After the war, it was evident the doctor had devised/installed his own jig/fixture/tools for hanging his coat/hat: A pair of six penney nails.

--G

MotorradMike
03-17-2011, 06:49 PM
well said david , more inventions on the way but iam off for a few days, just ordered in a new 4 jaw chuck finelly, time to expand my skills another level :D :D

I bought the Busybee 4 jaw when I got my lathe. You have to buy an adapter plate as well.
It's not easy to center at first but when you get used to it you can get within .001" usually under 2 minutes. If you brainfart while trying then maybe 10 minutes!
If you got the Busybee chuck the key that comes with it is absolute crap. Make yourself Two nice ones and look up Tubelcain's video on youtube about centering.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz123/madmikemarr/4JawKeys.jpg

.280 across flats for the square drive.

airsmith282
03-18-2011, 12:08 AM
I bought the Busybee 4 jaw when I got my lathe. You have to buy an adapter plate as well.
It's not easy to center at first but when you get used to it you can get within .001" usually under 2 minutes. If you brainfart while trying then maybe 10 minutes!
If you got the Busybee chuck the key that comes with it is absolute crap. Make yourself Two nice ones and look up Tubelcain's video on youtube about centering.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz123/madmikemarr/4JawKeys.jpg

.280 across flats for the square drive.

thanks for the heads up , i did order the adapter plate for it, should be interesting useing a 4 jaw independent chuck but money well spent iam sure