PDA

View Full Version : I sold the bandsaw

Black Forest
03-16-2011, 07:18 AM
The bandsaw was just too big for my needs and took up too much space.

So I sold the saw to a firm I buy my steel from. I got a good price for the saw but more importantly I got Dumpster privileges!!! This is a big machine shop that does a lot of fabrication and machining and their dumpster is a wonderful place to get all kinds of treasures! So although I will miss the big saw I look forward to a long and meaningful relationship with their dumpster.
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/bandsaw_leaving.jpg

mototed
03-16-2011, 08:17 AM
That is a real "pick up truck" I like it.

Davo J
03-16-2011, 08:25 AM
If it was to big it was no good to you anyway, and if you got a good price even better. I will be watching for what tooling you buy with the money.lol

Dave

wierdscience
03-16-2011, 08:36 AM
So,now that your rich beyond measure will you replace it with a Harbor Freight 4x6?:D

Rosco-P
03-16-2011, 08:44 AM
A machine anti-gloat? What's the point? How are you going to cut to size the fabulous scrap you pull from the dumpster?

Black Forest
03-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Thank God there is no Harbor Freight here! In a weak moment I might be tempted to get a cheap saw.

I will probably buy a cold saw.

MotorradMike
03-16-2011, 10:04 AM
So do you have something else for those pretty young girls to stand on?

hardtail
03-16-2011, 11:07 AM
BF are we to expect any modeling pics on it's replacement?

Great news on the dumpster........sadly our work recently received news we were all being replaced after 26 years........one of my first thoughts was I was going to miss the dumpster.........a lot of gems over the years.......LOL

Black Forest
03-16-2011, 12:47 PM
With the saw gone I can fit more girls in the shop!

Yes there will be more modeling pictures of the replacement!

Anti-gloat.....that sounds almost religious.

Peter N
03-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Thank God there is no Harbor Freight here! In a weak moment I might be tempted to get a cheap saw.

Those little 4 x 6 bandsaws are actually incredible value for money.

Mine is not Harbor Freight (as I'm in the UK it's a Warco), but they are all identical anyway.
Cheaply built - yes, without a doubt - but mine has now had some 7 years fairly hard use with just one minor repair needed. It's probably the most abused, unloved, uncared for, non-maintained, filthy, dirty, kicked shoved and battered piece of equipment that I own. But it just keeps on cutting without a problem. Even on lots of oversized material, as I use it to reduce pre-hardened 2085 stainless tooling plate to smaller sizes than the 450 x 400 x 40mm thickness it came in.

At an original cost of 150 it's standing me in for less than 25 Euro/year so far, and I bet it will run on for at least another 3 or 4 years if not more. If I had more room I'd be tempted to get something bigger so I didn't have to be creative with cutting larger pieces. I've got a slab of Aluminium at 1000 x 350 x 40mm that I just can't quite seem to fit on the damned thing.....:D

Peter

John Stevenson
03-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Ditto,
I only got rid of mine to gain a bit of space after I got the big bandsaw.
Did sterling work, probably more work than any other machine in the shop when the machines were smaller.

It's very first job was to cut a 13' length of 2.250" gear steel into 1" blanks for gears, that alone was worth the cost of the machine.

The Artful Bodger
03-16-2011, 03:02 PM
I will probably buy a cold saw.

Hmmm, I have a 2HP cold saw, very low RPM, HSS blade about 300mm diameter. I dont think I can find room for it in my new shop, freight might be a killer though.

alanganes
03-16-2011, 03:31 PM
I can't believe that you parted with the magical woman-attracting bandsaw. Though I expect if I got one of those, my wife would suggest that I sell it.

Black Forest
03-16-2011, 03:48 PM
I can't believe that you parted with the magical woman-attracting bandsaw. Though I expect if I got one of those, my wife would suggest that I sell it.

I wasn't pleased with the type of women it was attracting. I want them a little taller.

form_change
03-16-2011, 04:15 PM
If you are looking for a small bandsaw, see if you can find one of these (they are generally cataloged under 'portable bandsaw')
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n574/form_change/steelmasterue100sSmall.jpg
Mine is not from this seller, but this type was recommended to me by a friend who had this type and the more normal 4x6 saw. It's main claim to fame is that the vice stays put while the head swivels - much easier angle cutting. They are Chinese but solid and of a good quality (well mine is). On the down side the speed is not variable (it's set up for cutting steel) and blade tension is by spring so correct length blades are important, but this has not had a major impact - I've cut plastic, Al, steel, CI, bronze, brass etc - everything but stainless. Mine also flips up to vertical for those odd jobs - I cut some 3/4" steel plate on it the other day.
I've seen them on Canadian and UK internet shops, so they should be around.

Michael

alanganes
03-16-2011, 04:24 PM
I wasn't pleased with the type of women it was attracting. I want them a little taller.

You are one tough customer, my friend!

dockrat
03-16-2011, 05:41 PM
My cheap but tough little King 4x6 bandsaw just keeps plugging along in spite of all the abuse it gets. It owes me nothing. Here it is cutting a piece of 6"x6"x1" plate with the vise dismounted and the plate clamped down. Cutting the bulk off before mounting in the 4 jaw to round it off

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/IMGP1536Medium.jpg

bob308
03-16-2011, 05:49 PM
i have one of the 4x6 saws. i have had it for 30 years. replaced the motor 5 years in. been doing great work ever since.

brian Rupnow
03-16-2011, 07:10 PM
I kind of thought that saw was a bit HUGE for your needs. If you do buy a smaller bandsaw, keep this thought---A horizontal bandsaw with a pivotting blade-frame is really nice, in that you can put a part in and walk away and let gravity do the work of feeding the saw into the cut. I have an old 14" vertical "Jet" woodcutting bandsaw that I put a countershaft on to slow the blade speed down to cut metal. It works well, and takes up very little floor space, but its a pain having to stand there and feed the work into the blade.---Good Luck-----Brian

John Stevenson
03-16-2011, 07:40 PM

You should have dug a pit for the saw to sit in, that way they look taller.............

rohart
03-16-2011, 11:35 PM
I've got one of the saws in form_change's post. It's going well so far. It's light enough to lift on and off a shelf when you want to use it.

It did need a couple of modifications to work properly, though, but I'd recommend it. I got it from Axminster Tools in the UK.

I would have thought that anyone with larger than a single car garage could find space for a larger saw. If I don't get my saw back on the shelf quick, it's space gets taken by something else.

jkilroy
03-17-2011, 10:21 PM
I have a beautiful Dake Johnson, late model, still in original paint that would be great, too bad shipping would cost more than my house.

Bill736
03-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Dumpster privileges can be wonderful ! I'm trying to get dumpster diving privileges at the local Goodwill store. They throw out a lot of items that they feel won't sell quickly . I've seen the employees wait until the donor drives out of sight, and then take the donations right out to the dumpster. Bicycles get thrown out by the dozen, since they do not sell bikes at our local Goodwill.