PDA

View Full Version : OT Thunderbird Email

rws
03-16-2011, 08:01 AM
My wife just downloaded T-bird to use in place of Outlook. It seems to work fine except for one annoying thing. When she hits "reply" to an email, the cursor drops to the bottom of the page instead of above the email she's responding to. So when there is a bit of an email string going back and forth, you have to scroll to the bottom to see the reply, instead of it being on top.

I can't find a setting to switch it, anyone resolve this before?

willmac
03-16-2011, 08:10 AM
Thunderbird is doing the 'right thing'. This behavious was standard and expected until Outlook came along and did it the other way, probably out of MS general ignorance. I appreciate that this is not what you would expect if you have been using the typical Microsoft business tools for a few years.

Barty
03-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Go to "tools", "account settings", a new widow will open. Select "Composition & Addressing". In the right side of the window check "Automatiucally quote the original mesage when replying", Then select "start my reply above the quote" in the drop down box.

Barty

rws
03-16-2011, 08:41 AM
Barty, thanks! It worked!

metalmagpie
03-16-2011, 10:45 AM
It worked!

That's a typical response for someone coming from Microsoft tools. Amazement that something actually works. Sad, really, to think that software of such abysmal quality has been foisted off on the world for so long, with no end in sight.

I long for the simpler days of BSD Unix ..

metalmagpie

rws
03-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Sorry to have offended you by asking a simple question. It sounds as though you would never have had to ask for help. Good for you.

CCWKen
03-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Thunderbird is doing the 'right thing'. This behavious was standard and expected until Outlook came along and did it the other way, probably out of MS general ignorance. I appreciate that this is not what you would expect if you have been using the typical Microsoft business tools for a few years.
The "right thing" if you're still living in the pre-80s when the scrolling info stopped at the bottom of the list. You had to keep hitting a key to stop the scrolling if you wanted to read from the beginning. Kind of the like the old DOS directory list. With the invention of a GUI, the idea was to present the most recent info first. No need to keep paging through old info to carry on a conversation. But, of course, that BSD group always needed their brain cells refreshed. :cool:

willmac
03-16-2011, 01:01 PM
CCWKen -

Lots of GUI based email clients continued (and still continue) to do it the original way round for lots of good reasons apart from tradition. I think Microsoft was the first to do it the other way around by default.

Incidentally, why didn't you put your response above the quote of my message - that would be consistent with your view of how a GUI based system should work.:p

CCWKen
03-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Simply a courtesy. So you can "refresh". :D

Jaakko Fagerlund
03-16-2011, 03:19 PM
-It is easy to read.
-Why you do so?
-Above.
-Do you answer below or above the quote?

;)

Magnum164
03-16-2011, 08:39 PM
A smart programmer would have the option for the end user to select whether they want the reply above or below the old message.. Would solve the problem of which way is better:)