PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Cutter: What is it?

RWO
03-16-2011, 04:49 PM
This is a single flute, tapered shank, HSS cutter marked "Oceana 5/16".

I think it might be an soft materials engraving cutter, but am not sure. What is it? I have a box full of them. I put them on ebay a year or two ago and got no bids.

RWOhttp://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy247/RWO_photo/DSC00591.jpg

John Stevenson
03-16-2011, 05:26 PM
We used to use these for making slots in wooden piano action parts where we had to have a clean cut with no burrs. Ran at 12,000 rpm all day

macona
03-16-2011, 05:40 PM
But what holds a tapered shank, especially in that direction?

John Stevenson
03-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Sorry, ours were parallel shanked, I thought it was camera angle ?

Toolguy
03-16-2011, 06:03 PM
I have some cutters like that with straight shanks. They are router bits for cutting plastic sheet material like Lexan or plexiglass. That one may be for a pin router. The taper in that direction would keep it from pulling out of the spindle.

boslab
03-16-2011, 07:11 PM
used to have an elu template router that used them, 8mm dia HSS, we used this for cutting hinge and letterbox slots in ali extrusion for doors and such.
mark

john hobdeclipe
03-16-2011, 08:49 PM
I've never seen or heard of any router type machine that uses what I would call a "reverse taper." To hold this bit in place you would need something like a collet nut, but with the taper ground into the inside of the nut. Or perhaps a hollow spindle with the taper at one end and a bolt running through from the other end. To change the bit you would remove the bolt, tap the bit loose and let it fall out through the hollow spindle, then drop a new bit in and use the bolt to hold it in place.

This from the Wisconsin Knife Works website:

"On December 28th, 1970, WISCONSIN KNIFE WORKS became a wholly owned subsidiary of Black & Decker. The acquisition of WKW included its three divisions, Sterling Cutter, Stercal-Oceana and Anderson Knife.

1971 saw Sterling Cutter and Stercal-Oceana being consolidated into the Beloit operations along with another Black & Decker acquisition, Carbide Router Company."