PDA

View Full Version : Got me a real truck

Evan
03-16-2011, 09:32 PM
The old '88 Ranger is having drivetrain problems so I decided to look for something in better shape that can also pull a decent trailer or haul a good camper. Big pickups are standard equipment around here and probably outnumber cars. Finding one that hasn't been beat half to death is a different matter. I came across this one and it is in mint condition. It's a '99 F250 Super Duty with Super Cab, 4x4, 5.4 litre engine, auto, cruise, air, and eight rims included for summer and winter tires. I took it in for a checkup and all it needed was some sway bar bushings which is par for every F series ever made. Everything else is in fine condition. Amazingly, it seems to be getting even better mileage than the 2.9 litre Ranger. It sure is nice to be BIG. It gives a nice feeling of safety. Oh yeah, I paid 6K for it. Book is 12K.

http://ixian.ca/pics8/f250a.jpg

http://ixian.ca/pics8/f250b.jpg

bborr01
03-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Evan,

Looks like a real nice ride at a great price.

By the way, welcome back.

Any news on the telescope?

Brian

Tony Ennis
03-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Super nice, Evan.

Now, put an electric drive in it :D

mikem
03-16-2011, 09:55 PM
Is that picture from today? It was 70* here today in Nebraska!

I cut up some pine wilted trees for hauling to the dump and worked up a sweat..

Nice looking truck!

motorworks
03-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Heard there are some deals in some water logged Toyotas coming :)
All in all a good deal

JoeFin
03-16-2011, 10:03 PM
Every 10 years I go in and get a new F250

If I was a $Millionaire I would go in and get an F250 with a GT350 in the back

Your Old Dog
03-16-2011, 10:05 PM
What do you want for your old one? You keeping all the duct tape and coat hanger wire or will that go with the truck?

gary350
03-16-2011, 10:24 PM
I am looking for a pickup truck too. I am finding a lot of vehicles 1 and 2 years old with 200,000. miles already and they are asking almost a new price.

So what makes idiots think a high mileage vehicle is worth only $4000 less than a brand new vehicle. Geeeez..... are they brain dead or what!!!

Why doesn't anyone make a simple low cost vehicle with, crank windows, manual seats, rubber floor mats, no radio, manual door locks, none of the expensive high $$$ luxury stuff. I want a simple truck like they made in the 1960s that gets gas mileage like a car but there is no such thing.

Dr Stan
03-16-2011, 10:29 PM
If you're near a Fastenal store they are selling a lot of their full size delivery trucks.

Gravy
03-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Evan,

I don't know anything about the 5.4, but the company I work for has two '99 F250 Super Duty diesel 4x4's. They both have survived around 200K miles in the hands of indifferent employees in light to moderate duty. One has a 5-speed, the other has an automatic transmission. We've replaced the clutch on the 5-speed once, and done several brake jobs on both. Otherwise, they have been durable and reliable.

If it weren't for having the turning radius of a school bus, I'd consider getting one for myself.

justanengineer
03-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Value is what we believe it is. Trucks, tools, toys...theyre all the same. If you need something, its going to be expensive vs if you want something. Unfortunately, most wait til they need something to buy it, then they pay dearly. If you keep a good eye open, not half open like most do, and can wait a month or two youll find more deals than youd believe existed.

gary350
03-16-2011, 10:42 PM
If you're near a Fastenal store they are selling a lot of their full size delivery trucks.

The Fastenal store here has 4 of those large dodge trucks for sale. I ask about the trucks they get 8 mpg according to them. The price is extremely reasonable about 1/2 book value.

murph64
03-16-2011, 10:49 PM
Why doesn't anyone make a simple low cost vehicle with, crank windows, manual seats, rubber floor mats, no radio, manual door locks, none of the expensive high $$$ luxury stuff. I want a simple truck like they made in the 1960s that gets gas mileage like a car but there is no such thing.

I've always heard you need to talk to the "fleet sales" guy to get one ordered like this.

Andy
235K on my daily driven Jeep YJ

rohart
03-16-2011, 10:53 PM
Gravy: Turning radius of a school bus ? My first thought when I saw Evan's pic was what small wheels. I thought, Ah, they must do that to get a nice tight turn.

They must stuff them with really rigid suspension members, that's all I can conclude.

Dale Lusby
03-16-2011, 11:06 PM
Very nice truck and at a great price. I sold my wanna be gmc which was a 2006 1500 and bought an '86 F350 crew cab diesel 4x4 long bed this year. One of the best moves I've made. Not bashing gmc as I like those but the difference between a full one ton and half is tremendous. Not to mention everything except radio is mechanical. So much easier to fix things and 1/10th as much to boot. I went to quarry to get some gravel and he drove around with his huge loader and dumped almost 2 yards in my bed. You should have seen my eyes. OMG. Well it loaded it up but was fine on the 2 miles home. My old truck would have never made it out. Also nice when you find that nice machine that weighs 2000 lbs and putting it in the bed doesn't make it sweat a bit. Easier than pulling a trailer.

HWooldridge
03-16-2011, 11:16 PM
Darn good truck. I bought my '97 F250 Super Duty new and it now has 210K miles on it; the only unscheduled service I've done has been to install a new water pump. Regular oil and filter changes have kept it going strong - only downside is that it has a 460 and gas mileage stinks.

Paul Alciatore
03-16-2011, 11:29 PM
Good deal. Congrats on it.

But what's with the short bed. Plywood would hang out the back.

Dr Stan
03-16-2011, 11:53 PM
The Fastenal store here has 4 of those large dodge trucks for sale. I ask about the trucks they get 8 mpg according to them. The price is extremely reasonable about 1/2 book value.

I'd be willing to bet that fuel mileage is based on a lot of stop and go city driving with little to no highway miles. Even so, that's very low mpg.

Evan
03-17-2011, 12:19 AM
Yes, it has the turning radius of a school bus. That's because the front wheels have outboard plain old U-joints instead of constant speed joints, same as the Ranger. That limits the turning angle to about 25 degrees. Cheap and fairly easy to replace though. This one has manual window winders, key operated locks, manual operated seats and that is just the way I like it. The box is seven foot because if it was much longer it would look like school bus too. There is full leg room in the back seat for three adults and storage space behind the seat for a few items like a tool kit. It even drives a lot like the Ranger, just bigger.

I have no problem getting used to it as over the years I have had three Suburbans and an assortment of vans as company vehicles. I like Ford better though mainly because the GM dealer here is crap. The Ford dealer isn't much better but I lean toward Ford anyway. I buy North American made vehicles and most of these type of vehicles are made in Canada.

The tires aren't that small, it's the truck that is big. Those running boards are not just decoration.

wierdscience
03-17-2011, 12:25 AM

Ya,because they're prices are so high they don't have anything to deliver:D

wierdscience
03-17-2011, 12:28 AM
Yes, it has the turning radius of a school bus. That's because the front wheels have outboard plain old U-joints instead of constant speed joints, same as the Ranger. That limits the turning angle to about 25 degrees. Cheap and fairly easy to replace though. This one has manual window winders, key operated locks, manual operated seats and that is just the way I like it. The box is seven foot because if it was much longer it would look like school bus too. There is full leg room in the back seat for three adults and storage space behind the seat for a few items like a tool kit. It even drives a lot like the Ranger, just bigger.

I have no problem getting used to it as over the years I have had three Suburbans and an assortment of vans as company vehicles. I like Ford better though mainly because the GM dealer here is crap. The Ford dealer isn't much better but I lean toward Ford anyway. I buy North American made vehicles and most of these type of vehicles are made in Canada.

Nice ride Evan,lots of those around here they have an excellent track record.

Be glad it doesn't have the modern CV joints in the front end,some of the Dodges do and they ain't cheap at all to fix.

saltmine
03-17-2011, 01:09 AM
At risk of having somebody jump down my throat and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, I'll add my two cents (gathered from fifteen years in a fleet shop working on all of the "big three")

Ford makes a good truck. I'm not too impressed with their "twin-I-beam" front suspension, except for the fact that they are pretty tough. We were constantly taking them in for alignments. Though most Ford trucks were tire eaters. Radius arm bushings were the weak spots in both 2 & 4wheel drives.

The 5.4 is a pretty good engine. The power is a touch on the whimpy side, and sparkplugs are a bitch to change (BTW, if you decide to change the plugs yourself, don't pull the fuel rail, the plugs will fit past them, easily). Also, it would be wise to invest in an inch pound torque wrench. (Yeah, I know there's a lot of guys out there that will say, "I don't need no damned torque wrench, I do it by feel." I'll bet not one of them is willing to put up the $1200 replacement cost of a remanufactured cylinder head) BTW, DO NOT use heavier oil than recommended in the engine. Ford "Modular" engines have very tiny oil passages and bearings fit extremely tight. The first casualty of thicker oil will be the timing chain tensioners & guides ($$$)

Fords have small brakes, and '99 models were prone to warp rotors under heavy braking...(I know...it's not warpage, it's the mailable cast iron in the rotors being heated and cooled suddenly which turns spots on the rotors into cementite) We replaced a LOT of brake rotors.

Transfer cases need to be flushed and refilled once in a while...(we had to flush & refill Expedition transfer cases twice a year to keep them alive.)

Transmissions are fairly decent, as long as they are serviced regularly, and the operator doesn't try towing the state of Maine to California...

On the subject of gas mileage.....When I worked at the Ford Proving Ground, in Yucca, Arizona, I asked a Ford factory engineer why Ford trucks didn't really get good gas mileage. He answered,"The people Ford sells their trucks and SUV's to aren't interested in gas mileage."

S_J_H
03-17-2011, 03:54 AM
Nice Truck! I have a 04 F150 4x4 that has been a great truck with 0 troubles.

kendall
03-17-2011, 04:00 AM
I am looking for a pickup truck too. I am finding a lot of vehicles 1 and 2 years old with 200,000. miles already and they are asking almost a new price.

So what makes idiots think a high mileage vehicle is worth only $4000 less than a brand new vehicle. Geeeez..... are they brain dead or what!!!

That's been my complaint for a very long time, It's extremely hard to find a plain truck unless you want to order a fleet up here. Options are not options.

BigMike782
03-17-2011, 07:47 AM
Nice truck Evan......but part of the bed is missing:)

jr45acp
03-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Nice truck Evan. I've got a 2000 7.3 diesel crew cab dually. The comments about turning radius are spot on, not to mention pre-planning when parking as it seems parking lots are smaller than they used to be. I back in when I park, makes leaving a lot easier. As for fuel comsumption, I'm getting between 17.5 to 19 mpg depending on how hard I push it. I'll soon be 63 and this is only my fourth vehicle in my life. Unless I have a catastrophic event, I'll drive it until I'm gone.

vpt
03-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Great truck! You will be happy with it. How many miles are on it now? Only common problems I keep hearing about these years is the front 4x4 hubs (mainly the vacuum ones) having problems. Second is the front wheel bearings.

I have an excursion 2wd with a 7.3 powerstroke that I use for pulling my car trailer, hauling kids, and going on camping trips. I absolutely love it! Empty it has gotten as high as 24mpg, loaded down and pulling everything in the pic it gets a solid 14.5mpg.

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/8741/camping051.jpg

Evan
03-17-2011, 09:05 AM
It only has 144K miles on it and was driven almost exclusively on the hiway pulling a snow machine trailer. It has had an easy life and it shows. It doesn't even have rock chips in the paint. The hubs are completely manual so no vacuum problems there.

APEowner
03-17-2011, 01:54 PM
That's because the front wheels have outboard plain old U-joints instead of constant speed joints, same as the Ranger. That limits the turning angle to about 25 degrees. Cheap and fairly easy to replace though.

Not only that but if you remember to lock the hubs in (and run it for about 10 to 20 miles) once in a while during the summer months so they don't freeze up they'll last pretty much for ever. I've got 200k miles on my '01 and it's still got the originals. We used to run Super Duty based tow trucks and roll backs where I worked in a previous life and we never unlocked the hubs and we never replaced a set due to wear. We'd run the trucks to 150k and trade them in. We did replace a couple of sets after some aggressive abuse by boneheaded operators.

garagemark
03-17-2011, 02:14 PM
Bahhh. Should'a found a real truck... Chevy. ;)

No one else would do it, so I just thought I should. :D

MasterMaker
03-17-2011, 03:27 PM
On the other hand.....

In Norway, 1 gallon of diesel cost's over 9$ and gasoline costs even more.

I bought a brand new Mitsubishi L200(Triton???) last summer and it uses a smidge under a liter per 10km, which works out to 23 MPG. :p

and oh, did I mention that new car tax here is over 50% :eek:

The Artful Bodger
03-17-2011, 04:35 PM
I guess I will just keep driving my Ford XH XR6 ute, circa 1999!:rolleyes:

Gravy
03-17-2011, 06:58 PM
Bahhh. Should'a found a real truck... Chevy. ;)

No one else would do it, so I just thought I should. :D

Nobody else said it, so I will: Real Trucks have names like Pete and Ken.

But we're talking about pickups.:D

Evan
03-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Just in case anybody wonders why I need it, I have already made two trips to town for 4x8 foot sheet goods. Plywood fits in there just fine with the tailgate down. The box is seven feet long so the sheet isn't hanging over the end of the tailgate.

sasquatch
03-17-2011, 08:29 PM
Like,,, what is going on with the truck manufacturers???

Why a 7ft box????

In my area it,s almost impossible to find new trucks anymore with a full 8ft box,, probably a special order now.:mad:

PixMan
03-17-2011, 08:57 PM
In May of 2009, my dad needed a replacement for his Chevy Astro van that blew its engine. He was thinking of getting another, but I rationalized with him that he:

Grew up on a farm
Learned to drive in a pick-up truck
Always had to buy cars, vans, SUV's (he had one International TravelAll) to cart 5 kids and mom around
Always wanted a pickup truck

I found this for him:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/kenm10759/IMG_0146-r.jpg

It's a 2WD 2006 F150 XL, meaning "work truck". Its got the 4.6L V8, and that works fine, though only about 16mpg average. It has rubber floor mats, crank-up windows, plain steel wheels (though I later added Ford factory aluminum wheels from an STX), do-it-yourself door locks, and and AM/FM radio. It was a turned-in lease from a machine shop, and smells like it. Works for us! It has just a little space behind the bench seat, but a full 8 foot bed. A 4x8 sheet of anything fits with the tailgate closed. ;)

It had only 38,000 miles on it when I picked it up for $8600, but we did have to fork over $200 for new front brakes. That is the ONLY money he's had to put in it. Great truck, stone reliable. In fact, on Monday I'm driving it 3-1/2 hours down to NJ to pickup his new OE -make coolant system/dust collector for his surface grinder. My only wish for that is that it have cruise control, but nothing I can do about it.

The OP got a fantastic bargain, beating mine I think.

lakeside53
03-17-2011, 09:18 PM
I guess I will just keep driving my Ford XH XR6 ute, circa 1999!:rolleyes:

I'll stay with my 1990 mazda B2600i:)

Beaten, looks rough, 140,000 miles, runs "almost" like new... 2 sets of brakes, 2 sets of tires, 9 replacement mufflers (Mazda paid or all but the first replacement, so that's 8 at over $400 plus fitting for free! Maybe the'y'll buy it from me someday.:D

vpt
03-17-2011, 10:12 PM
Like,,, what is going on with the truck manufacturers???

Why a 7ft box????

In my area it,s almost impossible to find new trucks anymore with a full 8ft box,, probably a special order now.:mad:

The excursion fits a 4x8 sheet with the back doors closed. :D

PixMan
03-18-2011, 07:10 AM
I'll stay with my 1990 mazda B2600i:)

Beaten, looks rough, 140,000 miles, runs "almost" like new... 2 sets of brakes, 2 sets of tires, 9 replacement mufflers (Mazda paid or all but the first replacement, so that's 8 at over $400 plus fitting for free! Maybe the'y'll buy it from me someday.:D

My son has a '02 Mazda B3000 (Ford Ranger) and he loves it. When he wanted a truck, I insisted he get and learn to drive a manual transmission. He had blown the perfectly good automatic on the old BMW I gave him.

We had trouble finding a decent, affordable full size truck with manual, they are getting so rare. We found this truck that had 65,000 miles on it, and he's taken good care of it. By that I mean he added a great stereo. ;) OK, he's also put new rear springs, an alternator, battery, and shock absorbers. Up to almost 90K in two years now, he's personalized it with the stereo, a Back Rack and toolbox.

Not exactly Toyota reliability (meaning he hasn't had to replace the frame), but he says he can't imagine ever owning a truck with an automatic transmission. I broke the news that he'd better get used to the idea.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/kenm10759/IMG_0498-r.jpg

For the difference in size between these and a full size truck, there's really no difference in fuel economy. We knew this going in. About all he gets is the ability to find smaller parking spots, shift himself, and his girl is closer to him.

RenoF250
03-18-2011, 08:08 AM
At risk of having somebody jump down my throat and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, I'll add my two cents (gathered from fifteen years in a fleet shop working on all of the "big three")

Ford makes a good truck. I'm not too impressed with their "twin-I-beam" front suspension, except for the fact that they are pretty tough. We were constantly taking them in for alignments. Though most Ford trucks were tire eaters. Radius arm bushings were the weak spots in both 2 & 4wheel drives.

The 5.4 is a pretty good engine. The power is a touch on the whimpy side, and sparkplugs are a bitch to change (BTW, if you decide to change the plugs yourself, don't pull the fuel rail, the plugs will fit past them, easily). Also, it would be wise to invest in an inch pound torque wrench. (Yeah, I know there's a lot of guys out there that will say, "I don't need no damned torque wrench, I do it by feel." I'll bet not one of them is willing to put up the $1200 replacement cost of a remanufactured cylinder head) BTW, DO NOT use heavier oil than recommended in the engine. Ford "Modular" engines have very tiny oil passages and bearings fit extremely tight. The first casualty of thicker oil will be the timing chain tensioners & guides ($$$)

Fords have small brakes, and '99 models were prone to warp rotors under heavy braking...(I know...it's not warpage, it's the mailable cast iron in the rotors being heated and cooled suddenly which turns spots on the rotors into cementite) We replaced a LOT of brake rotors.

Transfer cases need to be flushed and refilled once in a while...(we had to flush & refill Expedition transfer cases twice a year to keep them alive.)

Transmissions are fairly decent, as long as they are serviced regularly, and the operator doesn't try towing the state of Maine to California...

On the subject of gas mileage.....When I worked at the Ford Proving Ground, in Yucca, Arizona, I asked a Ford factory engineer why Ford trucks didn't really get good gas mileage. He answered,"The people Ford sells their trucks and SUV's to aren't interested in gas mileage."

No problems with the 5.4 spitting plugs?

The rotors sure like to warp, I got good mileage out of my first set but the replacements went fast until I got $250/side performance friction 2-piece rotors.

Front hub assemblies are not cheap either but so far I have only had to replace those once in 191k.

Black Forest
03-18-2011, 11:06 AM
That Evan is just a weekend go to the grocery store truck. Now if you have a UNIMOG that is a real pick-up truck.

This is a real truck. You all are just a bunch of wanabee's!!!!!!!!
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/unimog.jpg

MasterMaker
03-18-2011, 03:43 PM
My dream truck(if I won the lottery).

http://www.omniauto.it/awpImages/photogallery/2005/4229/photos/mercedes_benz_unimog_u_500_black_edition_by_brabus _27967.jpg

Evan
03-18-2011, 07:01 PM
This is a real truck. You all are just a bunch of wanabee's!!!!!!!!

Come visit Williams Lake some day. We drive real vehicles here. :D

http://ixian.ca/pics8/scraper.jpg