PDA

View Full Version : OT: Brush Truck

Joel
03-17-2011, 01:26 AM
This is part of what I have been up to lately.
Thanks to a partial (but sizable) grant from the Texas Forest Service and by doing a ton of work in house, my department was just barely able to pull this off.
It is not quite done yet but finally getting pretty close:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/JoelinTX/34Right89.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/JoelinTX/34LeftRear04.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/JoelinTX/34RightFt95.jpg

Mark K
03-17-2011, 01:33 AM
Beautiful, great work.

Good hunting wheels, too.

Mark

wierdscience
03-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Hey Joel,I was wondering if I should send flowers!:)

Cool truck,that should be the ticket for when idiots play with matches.

One question though,that isn't one of those diesels that features a cat converter burnoff is it?

There was some news articles awhile back where the cat burnoffs where starting grass fires:eek:

Carld
03-17-2011, 08:44 AM
WOW, nice setup.

Cobbler
03-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Nicely set-up unit you guys put together. There are a lot of features neatly packed into a small space. You should be very proud of your work.

Was the apparatus body fabricated by you guys or was it one that is available for purchase? What did you do to the chassis to prep it for fire service duty?

*Shameless plug for my employer*
http://www.midwestfire.com/

dalee100
03-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Hey Joel,I was wondering if I should send flowers!:)

Cool truck,that should be the ticket for when idiots play with matches.

One question though,that isn't one of those diesels that features a cat converter burnoff is it?

There was some news articles awhile back where the cat burnoffs where starting grass fires:eek:

Hi,

You always park your rig on the black stuff, never on the brown stuff. Those who disregard that rule will very often end up buying a new grass rig.:D

Looks pretty nice. How much water and what volume pump? I see you guys have a regular pump panel for an operator. And only a single reel line. Do you have a fill for water packs? Are you suburban based?

The department I'm on has two old grass rigs. But we are very rural. And we stick to regular pickup chassis, (much lighter to pull out of the bad places we often get into). We use simple gas powered trash pumps, because we are more apt to draw water from the slough than we are to use "city" water.

Several surrounding departments have built new grass rigs lately, and we have begun to consider one too. One department spent over $130,000 to build one. Had all the toys and bells and whistles. Unfortunately, it's too heavy to work off road effectively, they invariably get it stuck. But we do more mutual aid with them now.

dalee

wierdscience
03-17-2011, 01:10 PM
Hi,

You always park your rig on the black stuff, never on the brown stuff. Those who disregard that rule will very often end up buying a new grass rig.:D

dalee

Ya,I know,just remember-volunteers come in all grades:D

dalee100
03-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Ya,I know,just remember-volunteers come in all grades:D

Hi,

I know. I'm a 17 year rookie!:D :D

dalee

Plain ol Bill
03-17-2011, 05:39 PM
I see the "Fast Attack" on it. Around your part of the country if you are on the wrong side of the fire in a wind you better be fast!

Joel
03-17-2011, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the compliments!

Hey Wierd, how's it been going?
No diesel - more cost and yet more weight. Went with the V-10 which appears to be delivering a stellar 3.4mpg at the moment.

I spec'd the bed, we did not build it. We did have to do a good bit of the final work to make it affordable enough. It took a long time to find a manufacturer that built something worth a damn. Boy is there a lot of crap out there.

dalee100:
It holds 500 gallons. The Hale pump is supposed to be capable of almost 200gpm at 100psi. I haven't hooked up my flowmeter yet, but it definetly won't do that much all plumbed up. It also has a foam injector.
It indeed does have a very nice pump panel on the walkway. In fact, everything the nozzle operators need to access during 'pump and roll' is located there. One reel with 150' of 1", 2 whip lines on the walkway, a crosslay and a 2 1/2" discharge on the back with a gated wye. There is a total of 1,085 feet of hose on the truck, 2 flappers, 3 pump cans and a gas powered mist unit (unique) so we should be able to go as deep as necessary.

john hobdeclipe
03-17-2011, 09:32 PM
The truck looks to be well thought out and ready for our next fire season.

You're just across the pond from me...I'm about 4 miles South of Farmersville.

Joel
03-18-2011, 02:19 AM
Thanks John.
Ironically, our first fire with this truck was a mutual aid with Farmersville.
We are winding down from the grass fire season that often occurs mid to late winter.

krutch
03-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Dodge Powerwagon was the standard platform for this application 'way back when'. Some of them are still being used in Iowa and elsewhere. To bad that truck isn't still being made.