PDA

View Full Version : Boring head instructions needed

form_change
03-17-2011, 04:11 PM
I accidentally bought a Wohlhaupter UPA5s6 boring and facing head set(the box at auction was marked Hahn & Kolb - I am of course very disappointed that the item description was not correct...).
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n574/form_change/BoringSmall.jpg

I'm now looking for instructions and a parts diagram so that I can clean it up and then use it. It hasn't got the buttons and things the ones in Wohlhaupter brochures are featured with so I'm guessing it's 40+ years old.
Has anyone got a copy they can send me?

Michael

HarryG
03-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Since you already included the required photo, please consider adding "Gloat" to your title!

John Stevenson
03-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Is that a facing head ?
Don't see any controls

Black_Moons
03-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Wow nice unit. Really like all those 90 degree adapator dealies. Sure is a huge slide on that boring head.

Rosco-P
03-17-2011, 06:50 PM
The UPA 5-6 is listed on their website. Are you saying the manufacturer was of no help with documentation on what appears to be a current product?

loose nut
03-17-2011, 06:51 PM
right. I should have such an acident.

form_change
03-17-2011, 07:15 PM
It will work as a facing head John. The boring side I can work out but I'm not sure how the facing side is controlled. The latest versions enable feed rate to be set and a fast return, but I can't see whether this one shares these features or not. There are some buttons on the top face but I don't know what they do.
The slide is probably a bit too big for me, but it does have 112mm of travel apparently. With all the extension pieces the literature says it can face over a 600mm radius. I don't think I'll ever be able to manage that.
Rosco, the manufacturer's site lists current models but not this one. I have an email into their support area but Australia is far enough for European companies to ignore if they want to.

Michael

japcas
03-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Can you get us a better picture of the head itself? A closeup would be even better. We have a couple of newer models at work that see usage at least once a week.

John Stevenson
03-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Here's one manual, don't know if it will help though.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/Wohlhaupter%20UPA3.pdf

Rosco-P
03-17-2011, 08:05 PM
This isn't it? http://www.wohlhaupterus.com/products/pdf/Wohl_6003_UPA_Heads.pdf Page 12 in the pdf?

form_change
03-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Rosco,
I have that brochure, but the unit is older than those shown so it doesn't have the same knobs and other bits on it. The most apparent difference is the knurled ring which on mine is wide but in the brochure is much narrower. I can't see a rapid return knob on the top surface either.

John,
That's the sort of thing I want but those instructions are for UPA1, 2 and 3. There are some similarlities but again the units look slightly different.

The UPA5s6 is followed by the number 3204, which I assume is a model or variant number. I've sent that information off to Wohlhaupter so we'll see whether they can come to the party.
I'll post some close ups of the head in a few hours time so that you can see what I'm meaning.

Michael

form_change
03-18-2011, 02:37 AM
Photo from the top, looking down
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n574/form_change/P1010081Small.jpg
One of the most interesting things to note are the pairs of holes. There is a button in each one. Push one down and the button in the adjacent hole comes up. There is nothing there that looks like a fast return button, and the facing stop thing (curved block on the right of the spindle) sweeps over the entire surface so it's not something that's broken off
A side view
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n574/form_change/P1010082Small.jpg
Nothing too exciting here. The side gib locking screw needs replacing - the original has gone and been replaced with a bodged version. The little dial above the screw shows the facing feed

Michael

MikeHenry
03-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Email me if you want a copy of the manual for the UPA4-7 heads. It may take me a week or more to see a PM, but that would work also.

Mike

japcas
03-18-2011, 07:44 PM
How about a couple of pics of the ends of the feedscrew in the head? On the bigger models we have at work, when you click the crank handle in to the end of the screw it disengages the feed so you can manually crank it back to where you started. You can run it in reverse but it feeds back at the same rate as going forward.

form_change
03-18-2011, 09:12 PM
This is a picture of the end of the slide (anyone would think this a tool gloat with the number of pictures I'm posting. Good thing I don't believe in them)

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n574/form_change/P1010084Small.jpg

It doesn't look like there is any trick to disengaging. From examining the head the facing 'clutch' is the rod mounting bracket. To engage you push the button down. When feed gets too difficult (against a stop or something) the button disengages, decoupling the rod. After decoupling there is no relative motion between the cutting part and the knurled ring so outward feed stops.

However, I still don't know whether facing feeds are selectable and whether feed is always outwards (it seems likely there is no rapid reverse on this model head)

Michael

form_change
04-04-2011, 07:16 PM
I've heard back from Wohlhaupter.
Initially they sent be a copy of the manual that MikeHenry emailed me and so I sent some pictures of the unit to them, explaining that it did not match the manual pictures.
The answer has come back that it is a very old unit (50+ years) and so they don't have information (or parts) for it. There was mention of it being a special - I'm not sure whether that is my mis-understanding of a loose German translation or whether it was literally a special run for Hahn & Kolb who's name appears on the box.

Michael

MaxxLagg
04-04-2011, 07:22 PM
I wouldn't be too disappointed. Wohlhaupter makes great boring heads IMO.

MikeHenry
04-11-2011, 09:10 PM
The smaller head I have (UPA-3?) also seems to be a bit of a special. It has an MT2 solid arbor and doesn't get any use for fear of dropping the head during an operation. Apparently some heads in this size were fitted with replaaceable arbors similar to the more common Criterion boring heads.

Mike