PDA

View Full Version : OT sorta - electric garage door opener/closer problem

Dr Stan
03-17-2011, 07:44 PM
When to the big box store today and when I left my garage door would not respond to the remote. So I get out and double check and there is nothing between the sensors. Hum. Push the wall mounted button and it came down a couple of inches and when right back up flashing a trouble code. :(

So I left deciding to deal with it once I got home. Got back and SOS. I found it would close if I held in the wall switch which over road the sensors. Still flashing a trouble code which turned out to be "misaligned or blocked sensors".

Nothing blocking the sensors and double checked their alignment. All four indicator lights are on as per installation instructions which means their alignment is within limits. Hum.

Checked all the wiring. No problems found.

Goes up just fine. Closing is the issue.

So I'm at a loss. The only thing I can think of is one or more bad sensors. Is there anyway I can bench test them with my multimeter or another test? Run a jumper somewhere to bypass the sensors to test them?

Dr Stan
03-17-2011, 08:17 PM
I finally found the trouble shooting guide on line and it says it's my beams or beam wires. Got to be the beams as the wires are all good.

DougA
03-17-2011, 08:18 PM
I helped my brother install two new units on his garage. I found a similar problem on one of his openers. After some trouble shooting it turned out there was a loose component on the circuit board.

Hal
03-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Stan

Sometimes when the tracks is set to tight at the bottom it will sense that extra pressure is required to close the door and will go into safety mode.

You might check your track spacing.

Hal

Dr Stan
03-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. However the Linear trouble shooting guide says:

If door goes all the way by holding constant pressure on wall station your beams or bean wires are the problem! (Do not replace logic board!)

The wires are good, so it must be the sensors.

I can disconnect the door from the closer and you could not ask for a smoother operating door. When I installed it I made sure the tracks were square/parallel as appropriate. It was working fine up until this afternoon when all of the sudden it would not go down. So tomorrow its off to the Overhead Door store as neither Lowes nor Home Depot carry this brand. I also found the sensors available on line for $37.95.

doctor demo
03-18-2011, 12:08 AM
PM sent.

Steve