PDA

View Full Version : Tool gloat, aircraft drill bits by the hundreds

Evan
03-17-2011, 10:03 PM
I went to a sign shop liquidation today and picked up a bunch of neat stuff. The best deal was this box of aircraft step drills. They aren't used and they aren't resharps, they are nearly all brand new. I had picked out ten or so at the advertised buck apiece when somebody mentioned that "Dad said to sell the whole box". I know the people well as I used to fix their computers and vinyl cutters so Lil' gave Dad a call and he said to sell it to me for 25 bucks. Deal sez I.

Now, there is no way in this life that I can use or will need this many aircraft bits as many are the same size. I will have to do an inventory but there are plenty to go around. I am willing to send out some small collections for a trade for whatever you might have of similar value. If you don't want to trade then a money order for the amount of shipping will do. I can't afford to send out too many but the packages will contain a nice collection.

I can send up to 500 grams (1.1 LB) for $3.50 anywhere in Canada which is around 20 bits plus/minus a couple. To the US is $7.30 for the same amount. There may be duplicates depending on the size distribution in the box.
If you want some say so and send me a PM with your address. I will entertain the first five requests posted here.

http://ixian.ca/pics8/drillbits1.jpg

http://ixian.ca/pics8/drillbits2.jpg

OwenG
03-17-2011, 10:10 PM
that sure is a NICE haul, Evan!

EddyCurr
03-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Do you suppose these were originally intended for drilling out rivets.

That's a great offer for anyone with an interest.

Evan
03-17-2011, 10:22 PM
They are used to drill precisely sized holes in aluminum for special fasteners that are a press in fit. The first portion is a pilot and removes the majority of the material and the sholder acts like a reamer to bring the hole to size. They will work in steel too as they are made from HSS.

doctor demo
03-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Count Me in Evan, I'm sure I can get another box to Canada with out upsetting the delicate balance of Customs:D . Any more of that copper plate needed, or ?
Do You still have My address, or should We PM each other?

Steve

38_Cal
03-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Some would certainly be appreciated. A PM is on it's way to you.

Thanks,
David

EddyCurr
03-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks.

Evan
03-17-2011, 10:26 PM
OK, you are on the list (Steve). Send me your address again please. Whatever you have will be fine just so it doesn't cost too much to ship. Copper is nice. I am about to use that piece for a heat sink.

Evan
03-17-2011, 10:34 PM
That is two confirmed. Do you want some Eddy?

Dale Lusby
03-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Very nice haul. Do these have the quick connect ends? Reason I ask is that I picked up some aircraft drills recently and they have a quick connect end but I'm not sure of the type of connector. I don't see any reason they can't be used without it though. Just curious.

Evan
03-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Yes, they have a round connector about an inch long on the shank end. They will fit a regular chuck just fine.

S_J_H
03-17-2011, 11:03 PM
I sent you a pm, if you have any left I would like some as well

Steve

wtrueman
03-17-2011, 11:42 PM
Hi evan; I got a bunch of these bits about 35 years ago from Princess Auto. I still have a couple left. I have done pilot holes up to 6 inches deep so I think you did well!!! BTW: About three years ago, one of the retiring mechs from the local Logging dev. gave me his 5 gallon pail of "cast-off" drill bits. At the very least I have a minimum of five complete sets 1/16 to 1/2 and have about 20 complete sets of the common pilot holes for standard imperial thread taps up to 9/16. These kind of scores are about one in a life time. Wayne.

Evan
03-18-2011, 12:38 AM
One more bunch to give away. The first 4 people have been notified.

J. Randall
03-18-2011, 01:09 AM
Evan, if some one had not got to that last set by PM, I would like it. PM me you mailing info and I will head a money order your way.
Thanks James

Evan
03-18-2011, 05:42 AM
It's a done deal. Thank you for your attention ladies and gentlemen.

RenoF250
03-18-2011, 07:50 AM
I went to a sign shop liquidation today and picked up a bunch of neat stuff. The best deal was this box of aircraft step drills. They aren't used and they aren't resharps, they are nearly all brand new. I had picked out ten or so at the advertised buck apiece when somebody mentioned that "Dad said to sell the whole box". I know the people well as I used to fix their computers and vinyl cutters so Lil' gave Dad a call and he said to sell it to me for 25 bucks. Deal sez I.

Now, there is no way in this life that I can use or will need this many aircraft bits as many are the same size. I will have to do an inventory but there are plenty to go around. I am willing to send out some small collections for a trade for whatever you might have of similar value. If you don't want to trade then a money order for the amount of shipping will do. I can't afford to send out too many but the packages will contain a nice collection.

I can send up to 500 grams (1.1 LB) for $3.50 anywhere in Canada which is around 20 bits plus/minus a couple. To the US is $7.30 for the same amount. There may be duplicates depending on the size distribution in the box.
If you want some say so and send me a PM with your address. I will entertain the first five requests posted here.

http://ixian.ca/pics8/drillbits1.jpg

http://ixian.ca/pics8/drillbits2.jpg

I worked with a guy that came from Boeing and he claimed in many applications Boeing would only use a drill once. He was known to BS a bit but it would explain the source of your drills. He claimed the surplus places in Seattle were packed with cheap drills and other cutters in great shape from Boeing.

darryl
03-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Only use a drill once- what does that mean, drill one hole and toss the bit? Wish I was near a place like that- I think I'd make a friend there.

The best drill bits I have are those that Evan has spread around to you fellows. I haven't figured out how to sharpen the two short lips on them, but so far they are still cutting well enough. A few of these have probably several hundred holes on them and not been sharpened yet.

Stuart Br
03-18-2011, 03:02 PM
I can concur with the use once approach of the aircraft industry, it was the same in the UK in the '80s when i did my apprenticeship. My drill box still has many sharp drills that I picked up off the shop floor at the end of a shift.

Stuart

Evan
03-18-2011, 06:41 PM
I am told by a board member that these are probably cobalt bits. In that case I can see them having been used a single shift and then tossed after that shift. That would be consistent with my aircraft metal working experience and would also explain the apparent lack of wear.

I will sort them out this weekend and the packages will go out next Wednesday when I go into town again. They are going by snail mail so they could take as long as three weeks to reach some places.

studentjim
03-21-2011, 09:44 AM
I purchased some of those drill bits at a trade show here Southern Ontario, they were sold by a vendor from somewhere in B.C. Bits came 20 per bag for 20.00 and varied in different sizes up to 3/8". The vendor's name was Bit Lady. I have no association with this vendor whatsoever, but a good place to buy good quality bits, taps, burrs etc. These bits are cobalt. They will drill through Nicholson files and taps, with a little oil.

projectnut
03-21-2011, 02:41 PM
I've also picked up a few dozen of these bits at various flea markets in the Tucson and Seattle areas. Most of the vendors were selling them for $.25 to $.50 ea depending on size and vloume. Mine all came from closed Boeing assembly plants. If they're the ones with a cylindrical top about an inch long with a row of detents about half way up they're Magnavon brand. They're meant to fit in a quick change chuck.

Another great thing you usually find at flea markets from the same manufacturer is countersink cages. They fit in a standard drill chuck and can be dialed in .001 increments for consistent depth. I bought a few different sizes a while ago and find them a great tool especially when you need to countersink dozens of holes on a part.