PDA

View Full Version : JOBS SHOPS in Florida? CNC, Solidworks, small lot runs?

squale
03-18-2011, 12:21 PM
I have my own mechanical engineering business... I develop all my products in Solidworks and I have machine shops make my parts to my print. I am looking for shops in Florida that specialize in small lot runs, prototyping stuff, and quick turn-around times.

The shop would need to have CNC turning and CNC milling capability. Surface Grinding and EDM are also a plus.

It would be GREAT if the shop took Solidworks part files as well.

I have a good amount of work to keep a shop busy. I am moving my business down to florida this year and want to build a network of machine shops. Preferably shops on the west coast of florida would be better as I'm going to have my office around the Sarasota area.

Thanks all!

squirrel
03-18-2011, 01:04 PM
We are in Indiana (yes, I did read your post), Solidworks 2010, Solidcam 2010, Mcam X3, Haas VMC and Haas Flat bed CNC, no grinding, we do offer design services and process optimization. Small one off orders are billed by the hour and dependent upon available capacity, at the present our VMC is booked out 3 months and CNC turning on a Haas flat bed is open.

spkrman15
03-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Check this site out

http://www.practicalmachinist.com

They are more geared towards production. Good luck

Rob :)

squale
03-18-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm NOT looking for a production shop, I deal more with the small 1-4 men shops.. some of my shops actually do work out of their garages at home :-)

digger_doug
03-18-2011, 02:03 PM
I'm NOT looking for a production shop, I deal more with the small 1-4 men shops.. some of my shops actually do work out of their garages at home :-)

And you'll find them there, look under "manufacturing resource",
you don't have to put everything out for bid.

squirrel
03-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Translates as follows: Looking for someone to work for $5 an hour because they enjoy what they are doing.:D

digger_doug
03-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Translates as follows: Looking for someone to work for $5 an hour because they enjoy what they are doing.:D

And be I.S.O. 9000 compliant....and have full cert's on material's used.....

squirrel
03-18-2011, 02:50 PM
A few years ago we had one walk into the office with a stack of prints about 1/2" thick, he asked if we would allow him to supply the material for the job and I said yes. The next thing out of his mouth was this " the guy down the road will do this for $10 an hour, just keep that in mind when quoting this". At that point I bit my tongue and handed back his prints...... I am not kidding!

squale
03-18-2011, 02:54 PM
thanks for the help guys... yeah just fyi I pay out on average 100-300k per year to about 3 job shops... so I guess you aren't interested in helping, thanks

digger_doug
03-18-2011, 03:28 PM
thanks for the help guys... yeah just fyi I pay out on average 100-300k per year to about 3 job shops... so I guess you aren't interested in helping, thanks

If you've got 3 job shops signed up already, why come on here ?

John Stevenson
03-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Read the first post.

BECAUSE HE'S MOVING TO FLORIDA :confused:

squale
03-18-2011, 03:57 PM
looking for NEW local shops in florida

Toolguy
03-18-2011, 05:53 PM
I got the impression that he is looking for people he can deal with locally in the new Florida area. Once he moves the shops he is now working with will no longer be local. If he is paying out 1-300,000 a year to get work done, he probably has a pretty good idea what the current rate for quality work is. I believe it was a reasonable request. Might be a great opportunity for someone in Florida. I much prefer dealing with someone local if possible. It makes the logistics a lot easier.

Boostinjdm
03-18-2011, 06:04 PM
IF you're paying out 100-300k per year, I'd be looking at buying equipment. After several years you could be pocketing an extra 100-300k per year. That's just a gut feeling though, I could be wrong.

RB211
03-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Florida is a big enough state that Logistics can still be a problem

dalee100
03-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Hi,

It depends on how you wish to use your available time. Every time you add to what you do, you reduce the amount of available time to do any one thing.

So if you add machining capability to your business, that will take away from the time you have to design and develop new ideas. And what happens to those machines if you have say, 6 to 8 months between new projects? Sell machine time? Now you need to have time to sell and manage machine time.

This can quickly spiral out of control. Causing the loss of, or damage to your core business. You can't be good at everything. So in this case, it may make perfectly good sense to out-source the machine work to those who wish to do it. Let them take the burden of ownership and risk of selling machine time for a profit. While you develop and nurture the ideas.

dalee

George Bulliss
03-18-2011, 06:40 PM
I really can't see how anyone could interpret the OPs statements as implying that he is looking to take advantage of a shop, but perhaps I'm just slow. In my world, the price of a job is mutually agreed upon.

Half of my career was spent in small shops that specialized in quick turn arounds and short runs. I also have a friend with a three man shop in his garage that is doing just fine, and everyone is making as much as any machinist in this town could hope for. Groups of garage shops operating independently, but with loose connections, are common around here and the lower overheads mean higher wages for the machinists and more flexibility for the customers.

Unless you are able to read between the lines better than I can, I see no reason to jump on this guy's post. About all I can see coming out of these replies is a possible opportunity will be chased away. From a Village Press point of view, I won't tolerate low-time posters or newcomers being chased away. I was a machinist far longer than an editor though and chasing someone away who might just be able to help a fellow machinist out really burns me.

You can find this kind of crap all over the internet and we don't need it here.

George

mike4
03-18-2011, 07:33 PM
I really can't see how anyone could interpret the OPs statements as implying that he is looking to take advantage of a shop, but perhaps I'm just slow. In my world, the price of a job is mutually agreed upon.

Half of my career was spent in small shops that specialized in quick turn arounds and short runs. I also have a friend with a three man shop in his garage that is doing just fine, and everyone is making as much as any machinist in this town could hope for. Groups of garage shops operating independently, but with loose connections, are common around here and the lower overheads mean higher wages for the machinists and more flexibility for the customers.

Unless you are able to read between the lines better than I can, I see no reason to jump on this guy's post. About all I can see coming out of these replies is a possible opportunity will be chased away. From a Village Press point of view, I won't tolerate low-time posters or newcomers being chased away. I was a machinist far longer than an editor though and chasing someone away who might just be able to help a fellow machinist out really burns me.

You can find this kind of crap all over the internet and we don't need it here.

George
I have read this post with interest as , that is precisely why I am slowly increasing my ability to machine parts for my own jobs .
Most local shops arent interested in one off parts ,they only want to churn out a few hundred a month or greater for big customers.

I can see a place for these guys but also there are many businesses who will pay for one off parts which are not available from the original manufacturer as well as my pet hate "the public".

I have adopted the policy of if they dont seem interested because its not worth their time to even quote on a part then I dont even bother calling them again .

I built my business on one off jobs and have survived for over twenty years in the same industry.

I could see that the OP was trying to find shops who could do his work in a new area , and he wanted to contact them before moving so that he could have a reasonably seamless transition from his present shops .

Give him a chance .

Michael:

squale
03-19-2011, 12:09 PM
thanks all!

being in this business for many years and working with dozens of different shops throughout the years, I can tell you this... production is dead here in the states. Yes some shops have contracts for high production and are lucky.. most shops do not and unless they are willing to take on prototyping/small lot runs, they will probably end up going out of business in some time also... everything is going to china!

anyhow, I keep businesses fairly busy, yes I know it costs more PER part with small lot runs, but my machine shops I supply work to never complain, they make very good money :-)

sansbury
03-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Amazing... a guy shows up here offering to pay people to make parts, and he gets half a crate of tomatoes thrown at him before he even said one word about cost. And people wonder why work keeps going to China--price ain't the only factor!

brian Rupnow
03-19-2011, 03:59 PM
I've been setting here wondering why everybody is beating up on this guy. What he asks sounds like a legitimate request to me. I do basically the same thing he does---Design special purpose machinery in Solidworks, and have it built in small to medium sized shops in Ontario, Canada. Why do so many people think there is something scammy about this?---Brian

Mark Hockett
03-19-2011, 06:28 PM
I remember a post a while back very similar to this one. This person was asking for some help with a prototype he was working on. He got all kinds of grief for the post and many accusations were made about the integrity of his post. I ended up getting the job from him and made very good money doing it. Here is the post,
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=18893&highlight=schorling

I don't know why he posted here looking for someone to make his parts as they were fairly complicated and required 4 axis CNC milling capability. There are probably only a handful of people here who could have done the job.

squale,
Our shop does a lot of prototype work. We have machines that really speed up the prototype process such as a Haas TL-1 CNC tool room lathe and a Milltronics CNC tool room mill. If you don't mind shipping from Seattle WA we can help you with your projects. We work with companies all over the USA. We can also handle any production work if necessary.
Here is a sample of a prototype we made on Thursday. 4 days from the time we received material to the time the customer received the part machined and anodized,
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c10/mahockett/3c43a8c0.jpg

The customer received quotes from $2000 to $3000 for the parts. Because of our capabilities we did the job for $600.

My web site with contact info is,
www.islandtechent.com