PDA

View Full Version : Semi OT: New Camera Gloat

macona
03-20-2011, 12:57 AM
Went and bought myself a new camera today. I wanted something a little higher res than my Pentax K10D and also something that would do decent video. Pentax has seemed to lag behind the others lately in the feature set and there is a pretty good chance I will be able to get a Canon 5D Mark II when we wrap production next year. So based on that I figured I would go Canon.

I was looking at the new 600D/T3i that just came out. Pretty cheap for the specs, 18MP, 1080P video, but its pretty toyish. Mostly plastic. But pretty darned nice and seems to have been getting good reviews. Also looked at the 60D which is the better built brother that came out last fall. Similar features, but with 9 point cross AF sensors and a few other goodies at a couple hundred bucks more.

Went to the camera shop and saw the 600D. Then looked up and saw the 60D on sale for only $50 more. Sold! Picked that up and the 50mm f/1.4 UDM lens to go with it. Total was about $1250. Went and got a 32gig flash card for about $55 too.

So far it seems to be a real nice setup. It has a flip out LCD for video and out of position shots. Though the auto focus is pretty sluggish in that mode.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_60d

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_50mm_f_1_4_usm

Here is a link to some quick pics I took with it outside:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67292116@N00/sets/72157626304091916/

ammcoman2
03-20-2011, 08:37 AM
I am just about to choose between a 60D and a T2i/550D. While the former is physically larger, it feels more comfortable in my paws. Need to do one more round at the store before I commit.

Excellent choice on the lens. My son has the same one as part of his T2i kit and I am very impressed with its performance.

Geoff

Evan
03-20-2011, 09:45 AM
I picked up a 1000D on a boxing day sale for around $350. I don't care about the lens since most of my picture taking will be on the telescope without the lens. It sure has some nice features and there is a simple software hack that will drive it at 23 frames per second when connected to a computer.

It has the 10.3 megapixel sensor which is the highest you want to go for astronomy. Any larger than that and the pixel size drops below 5 microns and the quantum efficiency becomes very poor in very low light. It has some very nice features designed specifically for astrophotography. In particular, if the exposure is longer than 5 seconds it turns off the chip amplifiers during the exposure so it doesn't produce a thermal glow along the edge of the sensor chip. The remote control software that comes with the 1000D is a huge improvement over the previous EOS utility. It allows total control over all camera features over USB.

I also picked up a battery grip from DX for $45 and several spare batteries for under $10 each. The grip is indistinguishable from the Branded Canon grip and gives double the battery power as it holds two batteries. It also has a second slide in battery rack that takes 6 AA batteries if you are stuck with no charging available.

This is my third Canon SLR and I am very pleased with all three. My daughter is a pro photographer and she uses only Canon as well.

macona
03-20-2011, 05:49 PM
I am just about to choose between a 60D and a T2i/550D. While the former is physically larger, it feels more comfortable in my paws. Need to do one more round at the store before I commit.

Excellent choice on the lens. My son has the same one as part of his T2i kit and I am very impressed with its performance.

Geoff

I think I would overlook the 550D/T2i and look at the 600D/T3i. There were some changes like the flip around screen which is really nice. Also the 600D has a zoom ability where it uses image crop to zoom in up to 10x without loss of resolution.

But if you can get the 60D for $50 more like I did I would go for that.

I almost bought the 50mm 1.8 lens. Really sharp for a $120 lens, though made all out of plastic. I need to get a wide lens next. The 50mm goes to about 80 figuring sensor crop.

ammcoman2
03-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the info. I have a T90 but haven't used it for about 7-8 years. Cashing in my Visa card points for a few (well, quite a few) gift cards will enable me to get started with a DSLR and some lenses.

Future Shop here in Canukland has a good deal on the 60D at the moment.

Frank Ford
03-20-2011, 09:02 PM
. . . and there is a pretty good chance I will be able to get a Canon 5D Mark II when we wrap production next year. . . .

Now that's a camera you'll really like - it makes great movies, too!

I got the extended warranty with mine (covers everything but loss and water) and sure enuf, the first month I kicked the tripod and sent it straight to the concrete floor, doing $250 damage to the nice L-series zoom lens I'd bought earlier without that warranty. Being a seriously robust machine, the camera was unhurt - naturally.

PixMan
03-20-2011, 11:56 PM
Nice camera, but I'm primarily a Nikon DSLR guy who uses a Canon SD880is for almost everything now that I'm no longer doing pro motorsports photos. ;)

Despite my username here, I've really stopped taking photos much because I got burned out by making money doing it. It wasn't fun anymore.

Good luck with the new toy, it's a good one. :)