PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with Devilbiss compressor rebuild

Westline
03-20-2011, 12:34 PM
I need some help with my Devilbiss compressor rebuild project.
My dad gave me this compressor to check out since it does not build up pressure anymore.
The thing is more than 40 years and the only thing wrong was cracked one way valve plate.
http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/KobusWestline/da0c256a.jpg
Any ideas how to make something like this OD is 22.25mm ID is 10.5mm and it is 0.5mm thick. The problem is I suspect it is spring steel. I don't know the compressor model and I doubt I can still order parts for it so I have to make it.
Can you buy spring steel or can I use other steel.....any surgestions.
I have some 4140 can I cut a piece form that. The part is the one way valve right above the piston so alot of heat and more vibration than a happy chiwowa is it's normal place of bussiness.:D
Any aah ha moments of a similiar part that comes in a different machine that I can buy/modify/use

hardtail
03-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Don't be surprised if parts are still available........

Any model # or tag on that pump?

Westline
03-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Problem solved.....I just wanted to share this with you guys since I'm pretty please with myself :D
I was just walking around in my shop thinking what I could use to make the part when my eye caught my under used putty knife. Did a file and magnet comparison and then a flex test.... Aha perfect.
Now I have a shorter than normal putty knife and hopefully a part that will last the next 40 years.
http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/KobusWestline/02a67e06.jpg
I drilled the hole to 10mm .....fit a bolt for a arbour and turned the outside then took the bolt out and bored the inside to size.
The thickness was perfect allready.

Westline
03-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Don't be surprised if parts are still available........

Any model # or tag on that pump?
Since my problem came to a quick end I would like to change the direction of this post. Can anybody give me some info on Devilbiss compressor models.
I'm trying to find out how old it is and what it used to look like.
The only markings on it is the Devilbiss logo Toledo Ohio and on the inside of the one side panels is stamped a sign that looks like a FF and the numbers 220-11 under it.
If anyone can help I'll be in your debt, I love the way it is build and the fact that it survived more than 40 years and my Dad is a testament on how tough it is.