PDA

View Full Version : Reid Grinder

ljchipmaker
03-20-2011, 12:35 PM
I was using my Reid 618 H surface grinder the other day and when I removed the part I was grinding from the magnetic chuck to measure and then reinstalled the part on the chuck to do a spark-off. It became obvious when the wheel hit the part that something had happened. This has happened once before, but I had just assumed I had moved the hand-wheel by accident due to its location on the Reid grinder. But this time I made sure I never touched the hand-wheel. But it appears the wheel had dropped an unexpected amount during the time period the part was off the magnet.

This is a new (for me) piece of equipment for my shop and has had limited use by me, but has sat unused for maybe 15 years before I brokered my deal for it. I put an indicator on the magnetic chuck and have checked the travel in both X & Y to see if there is a point in the ways that caused the problem and it was perfect; as is the magnetic chuck itself. Then I put the indicator on the spindle and applied pressure to the spindle by hand and it moved almost .002" and only rebounded to within .0005" from the same starting position. So I would guess there may be wear in the lead-screw causing the problem?

Any ideas whats happening?

Any adjustments I can make?

Any websites where I can download a manual for free? I've done a search but have come up empty so far. I have found a manual available for $25, plus shipping, but money is really tight right now.

Lj

dalee100
03-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Hi,

It's possible your screw is worn enough to allow a drop. Though it is more likely that the gibs and ways are gunked up. Used to run a big old Blanchard that we had to take apart and clean every three months to keep the ways and gibs from sticking.

I make it a habit to never remove a part from the chuck until I am finished Unless I need to flip it over. Because I just never seem to get all the crud cleanly off the chuck face. This can make the part higher and cause it to respark. And with full on/off magnets, they seem to bend thin sections differently every time you turn them on or off.

A few other things that can possibly affect your grinding. Are you using coolant? Do you have the proper wheel and is it dressed well with a good diamond? A general rule for wheel selection is softer materials use harder wheels. Harder materials use softer wheels.

dalee

ljchipmaker
03-21-2011, 10:54 AM
I am begining to believe your suggestion of the ways and gibs being gunked up is spot on. This machine has a "one-shot-oiler" and although I have pulled the oiler many times since trying to use the grinder; after having inspected the size of the tubing used for this lubricating system, I doubt that I have gotten enough oil up to those ways. So I am thinking a good cleaning and then making sure the oil system isn't plugged would just be a good idea. Having sat for so long I am guessing whatever way-lube was on the ways and gibs has long since gunk-a-fied, and needs to be addressed.

All the other things, dressing of the wheel, etc., had already been considered.

Thanks for the input, you were a big help. Now if I can just find a maunual.

Lj

Michael Edwards
03-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Ozark Woodworker is where I got a manual for my 618. The quality of the manual was very good, but there are only 15 pages... so it's kinda bare bones.

Reid 618 manual (http://ozarkwoodworker.com/item/reid-618v-618h-surface-grinder-instruction-manual/)

ME

lane
03-21-2011, 07:37 PM
I would not worry about the lead screw too much. The all have wear in the useful position. But sounds like the gib in the head slide might be gummed up and letting the head drop . I would take that area apart clean and inspect and re assemble . All the weight is going down so a worn screw want make a lot of difference. it should no drop unless gibs are binding.