PDA

View Full Version : Brown Sharpe #7 questions, for an old M head

heck914
03-20-2011, 03:17 PM
Somewhat new guy here, and also an amatuer machinist, have an old M head bridgeport. I have a full set of collets up to 1/2" , and after some research i believe they are B+S #7, and not MT2. I would like to get a couple end mill holders (5/8 or 3/4) to use some larger tooling i picked up cheap. Does anyone carry them ?? i see a set on Ebay for 110 bucks, but i only need the big ones. I also thought i read something about people having problems with the new BS #7 stuff as it isnt exactly the same ??? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Mark

SGW
03-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Early in my pursuit of making chips I had an ancient and not very good oddball milling machine that used #7 B&S taper. I made an endmill holder for it that worked well enough. In my case I don't have a taper attachment for the lathe, so it was an interesting exercise in setting over the tailstock, etc.

I doubt you will find anything in #7 B&S over 1/2" made commercially. For that matter, I'm not sure I've ever seen a B&S taper end mill holder, of any size, just collets. If you've seen them on eBay though they presumably exist, somewhere. A query to the seller as to the possibility of buy just larger sizes might yield a positive result.

Rich Carlstedt
03-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Back then fellows, they made endmills with the taper shank on them, like a morse drill with # 2 or 3 shank

The last time I saw #7 tooling was at Wholesale Tool in Detroit/Texas and Grand Tool in New Jersey

Waterlogged
03-20-2011, 09:12 PM
http://www.tools4cheap.net/products.php?cat=17

heck914
03-21-2011, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the responses fellas, i called Grand Tool last week, and they said they had nothing. I was hoping to avoid spending the 100 bucks on the whole set, expecially if not 100% sure they will work. I'll keep poking around. Or maybe i could trade some of my larger tooling for some 1/2" stuff.