PDA

View Full Version : Two new shows on Discovery that may be of interest

tmc_31
03-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Hi guys,

I have recently seen two new series on the Discovery channel that I find very interesting, I hope you will too.

The first is "Sons of Guns" about a custom weapons manufacturer in a small shop. It is in the same vein as American Chopper but without all the drama. This one has some machining content. It is not "family entertainment".

The second is "Flying Wild Alaska". This show is about a small fixed base operation, airline and bush flying operation in Alaska. I would term this one "family oriented entertainment" No machining content that I have seen yet, but some cool equipment and flying if you like that sort of stuff (I do).

Enjoy,

Tim

aboard_epsilon
03-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Flying wild showed its last episode on Friday ..

they showed someone being rescued ..

but somehow there was already a camera there when the helecopter landed :confused:

all the best.markj

tmc_31
03-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Hey Mark,

I guess I should have said "new to me". Do you know how many episodes there were? I have only seen two of them, this last one and the one before. Hope they bring it back next season

Tim

aboard_epsilon
03-20-2011, 04:25 PM
10 episodes of flying wild .

all the best.markj

Elninio
03-20-2011, 04:54 PM
good to know, if people support the show, it won't get cancelled.

tmc_31
03-20-2011, 04:58 PM
10 episodes of flying wild .

all the best.markj

Thanks Mark, I'll go back and see if I can find them on the internet:D

Tim

squirrel
03-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Flying Wild is GREAT!!! Makes me wonder if that should have been my career choice. Hope they do another season, it seems like the good shows don't make it. Since the kids can watch it with the family that is usually the kiss of death.....

justanengineer
03-20-2011, 04:59 PM
I watch Sons of Guns, but like almost all of "reality" TV, its not very realistic. They make big claims about creating new technology, but yet none of it is. I cant watch Flying Wild too often, she grew up in AK and it makes her homesick, but they seem like mostly amateurs compared to the other bush pilots I know. The only two shows on TV that I do believe are American Pickers and American Loggers (not Ax Men). The prices and people seem realistic, and there isnt too much drama.

aboard_epsilon
03-20-2011, 05:25 PM
American Pickers sounds interesting .

32 episodes to find

all the best.markj

lazlo
03-20-2011, 06:40 PM
I watch Sons of Guns, but like almost all of "reality" TV, its not very realistic. They make big claims about creating new technology, but yet none of it is.

Ugh, Sons of Guns is awful. The first couple of shows were interesting -- the shotgun with an integral suppressor, the Ak with same. But then they botched the M-2 kit build, and things just went downhill from there.

As far as being another scripted Discovery Channel faux reality show, when they rebuilt the fake Thompson submachine gun (with a quad rail??!), someone on the AR-15 forums pointed out that were at least two different Thompsons in the shoot: the long-barreled version the "customer" came in with was completely different than the short barreled Thomson the tattooed gunsmith was shown working on:

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/rtgeorge_album/beforeafter.jpg

vpt
03-20-2011, 06:57 PM
I watch all those discovery and history channel shows. I like the flying wild Alaska. I also like the Sons of Guns but find that they seem to half ass allot of stuff.

smalltime
03-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Don't waste your time on those.

The Best use of your time watching TV is BBC America's "Top Gear".

Simply put: The best show on television.

vpt
03-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Ugh, Sons of Guns is awful. The first couple of shows were interesting -- the shotgun with an integral suppressor, the Ak with same. But then they botched the M-2 kit build, and things just went downhill from there.

The shotgun suppressor was dumb. They did it with slugs and talked about how they were the first ever to suppress a shot gun and it was supposed to be impossible. The impossible part is suppressing shot not a slug.

Then they slapped together that terrorist rocket thingy and put a $5K price tag on it!

Then like you said the M-2 mess.

Now I see they hired some guy claiming he is a weldor who can't weld.

That huge clumsy "master key" they built! HAHAHA

aboard_epsilon
03-20-2011, 07:30 PM
here's some stuff you chappies may be interested in

"The secret life of the national grid" 3 episodes

From the team behind 'The Secret Life of the Motorway' and 'The Secret Life of the Airport' comes another unexpected homage to an engineering masterpiece of modern Britain: the national electricity grid. After all, imagine a world where the only form of artificial light was dirty, smelly and potentially dangerous, and absolutely nothing worked at the flick of a switch. The series reveals how the grid has both liberated and enthralled us, and in the process created our contemporary world. Along the way we meet the men who’ve built and run it; people who can remember life without it; and those who’ve pinned their hopes on controlling it. It’s a journey down the wires from the awe and opposition that greeted the first pylons in 1928 and the novelty of electric light, to the long lost glamour of the British nuclear industry and Margaret Thatcher’s determination to keep power flowing during the miners’ strike. All via an explosion of electrical gadgets and gizmos that promised, according to an early electricity marketing film, to turn ‘drudgery to delight,’ and that have inspired our electric dreams ever since.

Titanic the mission 5 episodes

This series explores how Titanic was built, as a team of engineers builds iconic sections of the world's most famous ship, using the methods of 100 years ago.

Glasgow underground 1992...or any stuff on how the london underground was built

very slow to paste stuff in here as well ..it took about 60 secs to paste that long passage

all the best.markj

lazlo
03-20-2011, 07:45 PM

That was pretty funny -- they ask the guy if he can weld, and he says "yes." So the head guy tells him to TIG weld some holes in a bracket of some sort. The next thing you know, he's got a MIG gun, and he's sparking crap all over the bracket.
The boss comes by, looks at the mess he's making, and says "hey, that's not too bad."

Uh... I think they need to coordinate with the script writers better :)

"The secret life of the national grid" 3 episodes

That does sound good -- what channel? I saw a BBC production: "How to build a nuclear submarine" that was excellent.

aboard_epsilon
03-20-2011, 08:27 PM
it was on bbc4

all the best.markj

tsmartin_98
03-20-2011, 08:37 PM
I can forgive Sons of Guns for some of the snafus because of some of the cool stuff they do but that 15 tube "rocket launcher" was the most laughable thing I have ever seen. It was nothing more than a glorified fireworks display. What group of pirates are going to be afraid of that once they figure it out? Then where will the ship it was suppose to protect be? Right back in the same boat. No pun intended.

TS

tmc_31
03-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Wow, tough audience. Come on guys it's television. When I want serious, I come here:rolleyes:

Tim

wierdscience
03-21-2011, 01:48 AM

As far as being another scripted Discovery Channel faux reality show, when they rebuilt the fake Thompson submachine gun (with a quad rail??!), someone on the AR-15 forums pointed out that were at least two different Thompsons in the shoot: the long-barreled version the "customer" came in with was completely different than the short barreled Thomson the tattooed gunsmith was shown working on:

In they're defense the Mall Cops ;) over on the AR forum missed a few things.First the finished product featured a short barrel.Second having lived next door to a class A (new class III?)machinegun dealer for 30 years I am familiar with the try,try again effort that goes into moding a full auto weapon.Reusing the wooden Thompson foregrip was/is a convient thing to do in process,it would be a PITA to keep removing the quad rail and it's grip while the trial and error is still on.

The final version was intended for the local Sheriff's dept who wanted a submachinegun that could utilize .45 ammo that can be obtained surplus for cheap.Don't blame them,I wouldn't want a POS 9mm anything either.While ou would never do anything like that to a real Thompson,especially something like a Navy overstamp moding one of the repros is a good idea,especially since anything in a full auto submachine gun is $$$$$$$.What's an MP5 sell for these days?$20k?:eek:

So far as the pirate rocket deal,well it's no more laughable a job than the one ALL the governments of the world are doing at stopping pirates:rolleyes: :D

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/sons-of-guns-tommy-gun-videos/

Evan
03-21-2011, 04:24 AM
Lots of good information in this thread. It confirms that my decision to not watch TV is still valid. What a waste of time...

Your Old Dog
03-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Not true Evan. Days of our Lives and The Young and the Restless are solid TV programming. It gives my wife all the drama she needs for the day without me having to get involved and are a hell of a lot less dramatic. When the reality shows are supposed to debut a product and the parts don't come in the tension is more then I can handle :D

garagemark
03-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Evan speaks the truth- TV is a waste of time. However, most people need a little down time, and television provides an entertainment mode that requires no effort and no thought processes. In that respect TV does serve a valid function. The issue stems from OVER using this entertainment form. Too many folks get glued to the easy chair and then wither away or become non thinking vegetables.

The trick is to balance this type of entertainment with the rest of our lives. Not an easy task for some.

RenoF250
03-21-2011, 09:52 AM
I can't handle Sons of Guns. Bunch of clowns. They had one episode where another gun shop gave them an old muzzle loader they were afraid was loaded and the own pointed it right at of of the other guys face. He pushed aside and side "can you not point that at me." Clowns

The Alaska show is okay for the secenry, I will watch it if it is on but I do not record it. I only DVR Justified, Burn Notice, and Top Gear.

squirrel
03-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Lots of good information in this thread. It confirms that my decision to not watch TV is still valid. What a waste of time...
Second that!!!!!!

mayfieldtm
03-21-2011, 10:03 AM
The Boss guy on "Sons of Guns"...
If he was my boss, I'd have to grab him by the neck until his eyes bulged out.
What a jerk!
Now his Daughter is cute, mouthy but cute and probably the smartest one there.
Thompson is an OK Cool dude.

Tom M.

lazlo
03-21-2011, 11:17 AM
In they're defense the Mall Cops ;) over on the AR forum missed a few things.First the finished product featured a short barrel.

Darin, those are clearly two different Thompsons in those screenshots. Which is pretty damning evidence that they're props and the show is highly scripted.

By the way, "Christos" the "M2 expert" who they flew down to help them assemble the M2 kit :rolleyes:, is "Gryphos" on the AR-15 and bighammer forums. He imports, assembles, and sells M2 and M3 kits.

IMHO the one episode worth watching is where they bring the WWII Congressional Medal of Honor Marine on the show, restore his flame thrower, and then let him go to town in the Bama swamps. That put a grin on my face :)

DICKEYBIRD
03-21-2011, 11:39 AM
I tolerate S-O-G's because for some odd reason SWMBO likes it and I do get to see the occasional machine tool in use (abuse?).

Now Flying Wild Alaska I like a lot because there's some awesome flying in it plus Ariel.:) What a cute & delightful little gal she is!

Cobbler
03-21-2011, 12:42 PM
SOG does a huge disservice to the gun community with incorrect information, extreme over dramatization, and down right degradation of gun/law knowledge. I wish it were off the air. I doubt there is a single viewer who has "Discovered" anything correct or useful from this show.

I like watching Flying Wild Alaska. Ariel is a bit ditzy but she sure is funny.

RB211
03-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Flying Wild is GREAT!!! Makes me wonder if that should have been my career choice. Hope they do another season, it seems like the good shows don't make it. Since the kids can watch it with the family that is usually the kiss of death.....

Aviation... Really?

RB211
03-21-2011, 01:10 PM
If any of you think that anything you watch on American TV is real, well... I'll tell you what, I will be your investment banker and I will get you a 30% return on your money...
Most reality TV shows are filmed in a weekend or two.

wierdscience
03-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Darin, those are clearly two different Thompsons in those screenshots. Which is pretty damning evidence that they're props and the show is highly scripted.

By the way, "Christos" the "M2 expert" who they flew down to help them assemble the M2 kit :rolleyes:, is "Gryphos" on the AR-15 and bighammer forums. He imports, assembles, and sells M2 and M3 kits.

IMHO the one episode worth watching is where they bring the WWII Congressional Medal of Honor Marine on the show, restore his flame thrower, and then let him go to town in the Bama swamps. That put a grin on my face :)

I dunno,maybe they have better eye sight and can read serial numbers on they're TV screens.And I have no illusions that the show isn't scripted,it would be even worse if it wasn't.

I mean hey,everyday gun work is pretty dam boring.Would you watch a show were every episode featured a dip in the Parkerizing tank or tapping a couple holes for a sight mount?Probably not,anything can get old.

The "flying in -o-the expert wasn't called for,it's an M-2,the Paki's slap them together with rocks for crying out loud.The drama in that episode were centered on the "dissortations" from said expert.I'd probably bitch a little too since I don't need a 90 minute lecture on the origins of blind rivets either:rolleyes:

So ya,it's a little campy,but as you pointed out some episodes like the flame thrower are worth it.

Flying wild is intresting just to see what flying in AK is like,but I won't be watching it next season now and it's also scripted.

Only other ones I watch are American Loggers and Axemen.Dunno what the complaints are about Axemen so much,those guys are just like the crews I worked with in the woods,the amount of fighting and cursing on the job is determined by the owner of the company.Some will run a tight ship and not allow anything so much as a curse word an others don't care how many loose teeth there are so long as the wood gets out.

My uncle did buy a Mobile Dimensional sawmill from Shelby Stanga's partner about 15 years ago,and by all accounts he is a true to life character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCri9lJW78E&feature=related

lazlo
03-21-2011, 02:24 PM
The "flying in -o-the expert wasn't called for,it's an M-2,the Paki's slap them together with rocks for crying out loud.The drama in that episode were centered on the "dissortations" from said expert.I'd probably bitch a little too since I don't need a 90 minute lecture on the origins of blind rivets either:rolleyes:

You're missing my point. The producers thought it would make a cool episode to buy an M2 kit from Gryphos and build it on set. Although the Pakistanis may be able to slap an M2 together with rocks, the Red Jacket guys were clearly unable to assemble it without his help, and after he left, they were never able to get it firing correctly.

Other than that, it was an excellent episode :rolleyes:
:p

wierdscience
03-21-2011, 02:29 PM
You're missing my point. The producers thought it would make a cool episode to buy an M2 kit from Gryphos and build it on set. Although the Pakistanis may be able to slap an M2 together with rocks, the Red Jacket guys were clearly unable to assemble it without his help, and after he left, they were never able to get it firing correctly.

Other than that, it was an excellent episode :rolleyes:
:p

We probably both misunderstood then,I thought it was thinly veiled ad bump for Christos:p

Krunch
03-21-2011, 02:37 PM
I like "Sons of Guns" ... I think it's a good show.

That said, I still wonder about the episode where they hired a new guy and the boss asked him to take a shot at "TIG welding" ... and the guy proceeded to use a MIG welder...and no one said a word about the difference.

vpt
03-21-2011, 03:06 PM
And don't forget his weld looked worse than this and the owner said not bad.

http://cr4.globalspec.com/PostImages/200903/welding3_FA818AF2-0C63-541C-24A2CAD159ABD262.jpg

lazlo
03-21-2011, 03:13 PM
And don't forget his weld looked worse than this and the owner said not bad.

http://cr4.globalspec.com/PostImages/200903/welding3_FA818AF2-0C63-541C-24A2CAD159ABD262.jpg

Wow, they should hire my 7 year old daughter! :D

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/rtgeorge_album/Welding/bellawelding2.jpg

goose
03-21-2011, 03:17 PM
I'll make it point to look for sons of guns, sounds worth a look, something different. A couple weeks ago I caught a show I've never seen before, "car czars". Pretty good, a little history, a little body work, some auction action. I think it was the National Geographic Channel, can't remember. Better than the west coast choppers fools.

Gary

vpt
03-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Wow, they should hire my 7 year old daughter! :D

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/rtgeorge_album/Welding/bellawelding2.jpg

Those welds put the new Red Jacket employee to shame!

aboard_epsilon
03-21-2011, 05:21 PM
one for Evan and the astronomers here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00yb59m

all the best.markj

RKW
03-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Yep, I caught the MIG/TIG mixup as well, and the owner was the one who said it. Like all reality programs, they are not realistic in the least and just plan suck. The cable providers are going to make it real easy for me to drop television completely at some point.

That was pretty funny -- they ask the guy if he can weld, and he says "yes." So the head guy tells him to TIG weld some holes in a bracket of some sort. The next thing you know, he's got a MIG gun, and he's sparking crap all over the bracket.
The boss comes by, looks at the mess he's making, and says "hey, that's not too bad."

Uh... I think they need to coordinate with the script writers better :)

That does sound good -- what channel? I saw a BBC production: "How to build a nuclear submarine" that was excellent.

RKW
03-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Sorry about being so tough but it generally seems to be the consensus here. Those who can, do; the rest of America watches dumbed-down TV. There used to be good content on quite a few channels other than PBS where you could catch something educational and informative. It was very disappointing to see Discover and TLC jump on the band wagon.

Since public broadcasting (TV, radio, both?) is loosing its funding, sadly there may be nothing left. Certain political persuasions oughta love this, since an uneducated society won't understand what is happening to them or what to do about it.

Sorry about the rant ... it's a real sore spot with me.

Wow, tough audience. Come on guys it's television. When I want serious, I come here:rolleyes:

Tim

wooleybooger
03-21-2011, 10:58 PM
TV. why do i even pay for it anymore?

Silverback
03-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Flying wild showed its last episode on Friday ..

they showed someone being rescued ..

but somehow there was already a camera there when the helecopter landed :confused:

all the best.markj

heh, along those lines but not as bad, I actually watched Mantracker (what a stupid name for a show), and kept wondering how they were getting those shots of the prey without giving them away... and how many times they were going to have someone jump around a tree and suddenly have 2 "experienced" trackers completely loose them.

OK, pet peeve of mine, how every show out there raves about TIG welding, how it's better for everything and if there is anyone that can do it they insist on showing them doing everything with it...

Then this BS happens where the guy brings in some mall ninja "build" to show off, talks about the killer welding and machining he did, they spend all sorts of time talking about TIG welding and then neither him or the owner seem to be able to tell MIG (really it looked like flux core, but any monkey that has used a gun before could have done better) from TIG and they talk about how it would be OK with a little practice... my wife saw that and has seen things that I've done and said something like "what the hell are they doing?"

Common, get something right, at least pretend that you care.

A friend of mine is going to a hammer-in this weekend where he's going to demonstrate making a viking style sword. TLC or Discovery is supposed to be there also, and we've already been discussing what they're going to get messed up. The part that I find entertaining is that the contact that they have that is bringing them there makes what are pretty much strictly props for movies... I'm sure that's going to help to get the details correct...

vpt
03-22-2011, 06:48 PM
All I use is a TIG. I do need to get a MIG though.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3883/lastbike008.jpg

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/876/focus006.jpg