PDA

View Full Version : Shaper cutting A2

Mark Hockett
03-20-2011, 05:51 PM
There has been some conversation about how useful a shaper is in a commercial shop. Today I had a customer job making a part out of A2 steel. The material the customer supplied was .300" too wide. I didn't want to burn up the inserts on my indexable cutter so in to the shaper it went. I set the shaper for a .200 DOC as I wanted to flip it and take material off the other side later. It cut like warm butter and didn't cost me anything for the cutting tool; I don't even need to sharpen it. Here's the video,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNCgtszmzSM

ENTERPRISE LATHE
03-20-2011, 07:47 PM
It seems like some people like shapers and some have no use for them, I LOVE them. I have 3 of them a 7" atlas, a 7" south bend, and a 16" heavy duty cincinnati.

Michael Edwards
03-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the video Mark. Nice looking chips coming off there, and you can tell by sound in the video that she ain't even breaking a sweat.

ME

wierdscience
03-21-2011, 01:21 AM
Shapers and Planers are still the cheapest way to acurately hog off metal.

I used to have a customer that required scraper blades made from 16" long pieces of 3/4x3" 316 stainless flat.Our old 24" stroke Cinnci saved me tons of time and tooling making those blades.

Forrest Addy
03-21-2011, 04:13 AM
It's foolish to dispise a machine tool. They all have their uses some not so apparant. Some materials like A2 don't take kindly to negative rake carbide tooling but work quite nicely with slow cutting positive rake HSS.

I had a helper that was do dumb (I thought) he couldn't learn to properly coil an air hose. He was an utter duffer in my eyes and I said so to my boss.

Ineptitude in one field of endevor does not equal ineptitude in all. He had other talents but they were not in the mechanical trades. He was a born clerk and a good supervisor of record keeping. He wound up running the staff of 5 that kept the material and QA records under control, no easy task and one subject to large administrative pressures when it hit the fan. I in my conceit would have fired a man abler in his eventual job that I was at mine at the time.

We all have our uses even the humble clerks and shapers.

tmc_31
03-21-2011, 07:44 AM
Mark,

Thanks for posting that video. As a relative newbie, that is the first time I've seen a shaper at work. Seems to be a fine old machine. I am amazed at how quiet an smooth operating it is. Does the bit lift off the work on the back stroke?

Tim

Forrest Addy
03-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Does the bit lift off the work on the back stroke?

Tim

Shrewd observation Tim.

Yes the tool does "relieve" on the back stroke. Actually on this particular shaper only the weight of the tool, tool holder, and part of the weight of the clapper box (a few pounds) drags on the work. The clapper box has a hinge so the tool drags on the back stroke. It's a matter of some care to set the clapper box swivel so the tool relieves properly.

A few more elaborate shapers and most all planers have a mechanical or air operated system of operating the clapper boxes to relieve the tool clear of the work on the returen stoke.

Al Messer
03-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Good show! Thanks for posting!

Al

oil mac
03-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Nice to see your shaper working Mark, I also think they are a handy machine greatly sneered at in this "Modern Age" simple tooling and off it goes no sweat, I have two of them

I have noticed over here in the U.K., That slotting machines (vertical shapers) sell like hot cakes, even old ones, as during the decade of greed, they were scrapped in the droves, and now they are fairly hard to come by,

How else do you cut a keyway? I certainly wont scrap mine or the two shapers