PDA

View Full Version : Anti fatigue mats on the cheap

Mark Hockett
03-20-2011, 06:14 PM
I was at the local farm supply place this morning and noticed some horse stall mats. They seemed like they would make great anti fatigue mats so I bought one. The one I got is 5/8" thick X 4' x 6 and has small dimples on it. The cost was $38, which is much cheaper than other anti fatigue mats I have priced. It has a very good feel to stand on and is large enough that when I drop parts they should land on the mat.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c10/mahockett/52e3d6db.jpg

Bob Farr
03-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the tip Mark. I especially like the 'safety net' feature for dropped parts. I've used sections of industrial conveyor belt in the past but they're too small to save dropped parts.

Bob Farr

ammcoman2
03-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Is the material hard enough to repel chips from embedding themselves in it?

The mats (not horse stall ones) I bought last year are nice and soft but I'm forever digging out curly chips with my favourite scriber!

Geoff

Dawai
03-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Also great to lie under a car on.. Keeps the rocks from dimpling your back.

tlfamm
03-20-2011, 08:26 PM

The mats (not horse stall ones) I bought last year are nice and soft but I'm forever digging out curly chips with my favourite scriber!

Geoff

My mats are covered by 1/4" Luan plywood. It does reduce the "spring" of the mat a bit - but swarf is not a problem ...

TClarke
03-21-2011, 12:02 PM
I could use some of those. Are they slip resistant? Any difficulty cleaning out oil?

polepenhollow
03-21-2011, 11:26 PM
Anti Fatigue Mats. I make catwalks out of used 1x4's and other scrap. 2' x 5' platform w/ 4 or 5 slats on top and 3 or 4 cross pieces below at right angles. Screw together w/ 1 5/8 drywall screws.
Catwalks are bouncy and springy and easy to move to sweep under.
In use, stand with heels up, or move catwalk and stand heels down. Move L or R and stand higher or lower on either foot. The stances may be varied at your whim and will. It will make standing easier.
When the catwalk gets too oily and ugly to use any more, cut it up and throw it in the shop stove.
They are free and give you heat too.
Save the $38.

K Liv

Mark Hockett
03-22-2011, 12:08 AM
I could use some of those. Are they slip resistant? Any difficulty cleaning out oil?
They are very slip resistant and so far the oil wipes off, but its only been in the shop for a day.

Silverback
03-22-2011, 05:57 PM

Geoff

Oh... I started using an air hose that I've had for years and generally liked better then the others in the shop and am regretting it for just that reason. I can't even coil it up anymore without ripping up my hands on the swarf embedded in the rubber...

chriskat
03-22-2011, 06:15 PM
I have what appears to be the same mat and chips don't imbed in it. I think you would be ok with that one.

ammcoman2
03-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the inputs. I think a nearby Tractor Supply (TSC) outlet has them so I'll check them out.

Geoff