• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dalee100
    • Jan 2007

Sometimes wonder I about myself

Hi,

Since I had a little free time and the weather is warming a bit, to almost 40! I decided to do a little modification to my little lathe. I have never liked using a wrench to tighten and loosen the clamp bolt on a tail stock. So I rummaged up a couple of old rusty 1/2" bolts and made a cam lock for my tail stock.

After I had it assembled, I was standing there self-satisfyingly admiring my handiwork. And I was thinking that I'm not going to ever be irritated by the simple nut and bolt that was the original set up. When the thought occurred to me. It doesn't bother me to change step pulleys for speeds, I got time for that. And not even having a QC gear box is no big deal. It's not like I'm going to need to single point 20 different thread pitches in less than an hour. But it seems this old coot can't be bothered to give a small wrench a 1/2 turn to tighten or loosen a nut. It's odd what little things we seem to not be able to put up with sometimes isn't it.

dalee
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.
  • Mcgyver
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dalee100
    It's odd what little things we seem to not be able to put up with sometimes isn't it.
    I bet it'll bother you more when it slips on heavy drilling - camlocks are not generally as solid as a bolt. I know what you mean though, there's certain fluidness when you're really cooking....and that wrench turn just never fits the flow
    located in Toronto Ontario

Comment

• jack3140
      • Mar 2010

i know what you mean i often spend hours making something that will save me minutes lol that is the nature of the beast i guess enjoy it jack

Comment

• justanengineer
        • Nov 2010

I think the projects I enjoy the most/take the most pride in are the ones where I create or modify a tool, often because there is just something about it that I think should be done better.
        "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

• rohart
          • Aug 2002

I recently I bought a cheap small bandsaw. Small, in you can lift it off the shelf. So the pull down saw needs to be anchored to the base when not in use so you can carry it as one piece.

Well, the linkage - basically 3" of 1/2"x1/8" - was rubbish, and a screw had to be removed to free it and use the machine. I redesigned it so the link had a hook section at the top that was captive in my replacement for the bolt. Now I unscrew the know a few turns, take the weight, free the link and away I go.

This made absolutely no difference to the operation of the machine, but I suppose it was me stamping my mark on a crappily put together machine. If I had waited, and thought about the use of my time a little more deeply, I'm sure I could have spent the time better, but that's not how it works. Something bugs you - you've got to change it.

It's all the little mods you end up with that make these machines your own - and reduce the selling price of them too, if you didn't keep the original bits.
          Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

• Boostinjdm
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by rohart
            and reduce the selling price of them too, if you didn't keep the original bits.
            I always found that interesting. You make it faster, smoother, more convenient, more durable, and now it's worth less because you modified it. Maybe that's why I have a hard time selling any of my stuff.

Comment

• dalee100
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Mcgyver
              I bet it'll bother you more when it slips on heavy drilling - camlocks are not generally as solid as a bolt. I know what you mean though, there's certain fluidness when you're really cooking....and that wrench turn just never fits the flow
              Hi,

Yeah, I know. I've had some pretty heavy tail stocks slip a bit on me while drilling. All a part of that "Ain't got time to do this right, gotta get it done."

Let's hope I don't have to push an 1 1/2" drill in 316 SS!

i know what you mean i often spend hours making something that will save me minutes lol that is the nature of the beast i guess enjoy it jack
              There is a whole lotta truth there. You know you're a machinist when you contemplate doing hours of work to make a tool to save 5 minutes of time.

I think the projects I enjoy the most/take the most pride in are the ones where I create or modify a tool, often because there is just something about it that I think should be done better.
              Yep, That's why I spent almost 25 years as a toolmaker. Though sadly, in the work-a-day world, there isn't very much time available to make the tools one would often like to. I hope I can now enjoy making things for myself.

dalee
              If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

• wierdscience
                • Jan 2003

Dalee,your simply becoming Metallyill like the rest of us

Nice job on the lever,but I have an easier way.Bore the existing hole out and replace the screw threaded stud and nut that came on the lathe with ones featuring Acme thread.

I did that for a friend's 9x20(oddly haven't done mine yet)used 5/8-8 Acme with a 8" long lever for a wrench.That turned that 1-1/2 turn 60* thread clamp bolt into a 1/4 turn lever lock,much nicer than the Rice paper metric stud it came with Now all I need to do is find time to do mine the same
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• dalee100
                  • Jan 2007

Hi,

That is a great idea using some acme threaded rod. Nice strong threads and a reasonably quick pitch.

But I didn't have any acme thread. Just rusty 1/2"-13 bolts. And a little piece of 3/4" round. Besides, I really like cam locks.

I did get to enjoy it's use today. I have a gas kitchen stove that one of the metal clips that hold the igniter in place broke a month ago. Can't get just the little sheet metal stamping. You need to buy the whole harness for $150. So I made a little tube with a collar that is a tight fit in the hole. Pretty much a tin foil tube, (.010" walls), with a bit thicker collar and then split on one side. It pinches the ceramic igniter to hold it in place.

So I got to run several drills up to 3/8" in the tail stock. The cam lock works great! Fast and secure. Reminded me of one of the old LeBlond's I used to have.

dalee

Comment

Working...
                  X