PDA

View Full Version : Computer Error Message Question

doctor demo
03-21-2011, 12:15 AM
My Bridgeport is killing Me. I keep getting an error message and then it shuts down to ''keep from losing data''
The motherboard is a dell 386 and the message is : EMM386 detected an error#12 in applications at memory address 12710:000OD4C .

This just started today and every time I restart it only runs a few minutes before shutting down.
Trying to look through the Dell Community Forums didn't help.

Any ideas from the computer gurus ?

Steve

airsmith282
03-21-2011, 12:30 AM
try pull ing your ram chips out and reseating them if that failes then replace the ram and try again , i you still get the same error then it could be your cpu chip but not likey,, memory address issues is usually ram and ram chips can go flaky...

squirrel
03-21-2011, 09:59 AM
do you still have the original easy trak install disks?

AiR_GuNNeR
03-21-2011, 10:49 AM
This could be dificult to track down. Memory manager errors like that can also be caused bye low level drivers. Video drivers are usually the first suspect. I did have aDell laptop once where the memory card actually did go bad. Go into the bios as it boots up. It has an option in there to perform a memory check. That's what found it or me.

ftl
03-21-2011, 11:49 AM
That is obviously an old mother board. Look for buldged electrolytic capacitors on the mobo and in the power supply. Electrolytic caps increase their ESR (resistance) over time and that causes them to heat up, which quickly destoys them. With bad caps you get bad power which can cause all sorts of intermittant problems.

Just in the last two months, I've fixed two flat panel monitors, a wireless router and a satelite receive with bad caps. All units were at least 4 years old with many hours of use.

CCWKen
03-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Re-seat the memory modules as already instructed then make sure your memtest is enabled in the bios. (you can disable it later to speed boot time) If the memory checks out then Error 12 is a stack management error caused by too many hardware interrupts. (Stack Overflow) This can be anything from a bad keyboard or mouse to a flaky driver. Are the drivers loaded from a hard drive or floppy? Could be magnetic media going bad. You might need to recreate your boot device files on new media.

But check the memory first.

Also, look in the Config.sys file and report if there's a "STACKS=x,y" line.

CCWKen
03-21-2011, 04:42 PM
LOL... Forgot to mention: That Mobo probably predates the capacitor problems. :D

doctor demo
03-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Thanks for all the responses!
I'll try the memory re seat procedure first.

''do you still have the original easy trak install disks?''
No the original discs didn't come with the machine and a copy that was given to Me by a mach. dealer are bad.

Yes the motherboard is from an old loaner that I put in after a battery went bad and took out the original board.
Since that I have put in a new power supply and a rebuilt exchange BMDC board.

Finding old slow motherboards is harder than it sounds, but the machine's other boards can't handle anything modern.

Steve

rohart
03-21-2011, 07:25 PM
EMM means Extended Memory Manager. Your motherboard could date from the late eighties !

There was EMS, then XMS then EMM if my memory serves me well (pun intended).

doctor demo
03-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Your motherboard could date from the late eighties !

You say that like it is a bad thing:D
Steve

mike4
03-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks for all the responses!
I'll try the memory re seat procedure first.

''do you still have the original easy trak install disks?''
No the original discs didn't come with the machine and a copy that was given to Me by a mach. dealer are bad.

Yes the motherboard is from an old loaner that I put in after a battery went bad and took out the original board.
Since that I have put in a new power supply and a rebuilt exchange BMDC board.

Finding old slow motherboards is harder than it sounds, but the machine's other boards can't handle anything modern.

Steve
Ditto to the replies above , as well as checking the caps , often a light rub of the contacts where the ram connects can help as sometimes small areas of corrosion /oxide can form and ,are often easily removed by gently wiping a business card edge along the socket pins ,DONT use much force just a couple of firm buy gentle wipes can often clean up the problem as many boards have been handled incorrectly long before you get them and after some time problems start.
Michael