What price range does a South Bend 7" shaper complete with all its bits
present & in good operating order (including an operators manual) command
these days?

I am aware of those military surplus units that reportedly were/are available
for a few thousand dollars. This machine isn't quite that nice, but it is
respectable.

Dr Stan
03-22-2011, 12:04 AM
You probably need to go to FleaBay to check on recent auctions. You may also want to join the Yahoo shaper group and pose this question.

justanengineer
03-22-2011, 12:07 AM
Depends on where you are and how many people know about it. I responded to a Craigslist ad last summer in northern NY for one for $300 thinking it was rough. It was in reality completely restored and had every bit of tooling SB made. The only downside to that one was being an early model without lube system and no room in my shop (according to her). Thats the Northeast, elsewhere you may get $1000 for it pretty easily.

12teethperinch
03-22-2011, 12:10 AM
Location location location. Depends where you are. I am in Edmonton Alberta as are you I think (gateway to the north) There aren't many around here I think have bought the only two south bends to have come up for sale around here, paid around 700 for each of them the first one I bought was a little abused and the second in much better shape but with a repaint and some suspicious scraping marks on the ram I think they were done by the the fellow who cleaned up the machine. It cuts true so no harm I guess. My answer to you question would be 700 to 1000 in my neck of the woods, more if its a beauty and the guy knows it. There is one in an upcoming auction is that the one of which you speak. Sold one of mine to a friend and haven't used the other one much but very cool to watch. BTW if it is the one I think the tool holder is worth almost a hundred on ebay itself.
Darrell

EddyCurr
03-22-2011, 12:52 AM
Yes, I am refering to the one to be auctioned soon.

Why did you have two for a time and why don't you use the remaining
one any longer?

Thanks to everyone for the replies. There were no machines listed on
eBay when I checked and while I did turn up some threads with prices,
these threads were quite stale.

bkahler
03-22-2011, 11:41 AM
I recently paid $900 (buy-it now) on eBay and drove 300 miles round trip to get it. It was complete with vise and original 3 drawer cabinet/stand. Condition was excellent and I'm quite pleased with it. I'm still waiting to slide it into position in my shop but am really looking forward to putting it into operation.

Brad

12teethperinch
03-22-2011, 12:19 PM
I have an interest in machine tools without a hobby to drive it ( don't make steam engines, no hot rod or motorcycles) so my tools sits idle a fair bit. Very cool tool to watch and I am still figuring out how to use it properly. I ended up with two shapers because the nice one came along before I got around to fixing up the other one.
Darrell

jugs
03-22-2011, 02:59 PM
I have an interest in machine tools without a hobby to drive it ( don't make steam engines, no hot rod or motorcycles) so my tools sits idle a fair bit. Very cool tool to watch and I am still figuring out how to use it properly. I ended up with two shapers because the nice one came along before I got around to fixing up the other one.
Darrell

Why not ?????????????? it's the only reason for human existance :D

john
:)

EddyCurr
03-22-2011, 10:09 PM
Here is the machine that I was inquiring about.

http://www.montgomeryauctions.com/upload/165/Martin%20Bidspotter%20Pics%20059.jpg
As is apparent in the picture, the finish is a little weathered - it looks better
in person. More importantly, the machine is complete, functions well and does
not suffer from 'rounded nut/missing handle' syndrome. The top faces of the
vise had been caught a few times by passes of the tool bit, this will clean up easily.

It sold for $1,320 CDN (all in, before sales tax) and came with the solid
metal table shown in the image.

Someone else took it home.

Mcostello
03-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Personally had an Atlas, bought $75, sold $300. Bought Aamco for $85, sold $700. Bought unknown red bench shaper $2, sold $75 with frozen vise. Still have 7" Rhoades, bought $100, painted, used occasionally and tenderly. From the OSU Engineering labs which makes it PRICELESS in Ohio.

jkilroy
03-22-2011, 10:49 PM
I had a nice Southbend, sold it for what I paid for it, around $700, and took $400 of that and purchased a 20" G&E that was in better shape. Literally he Southbend would sit on the table of the G&E.