PDA

View Full Version : Organizing tubing benders, roller, brake, bead roller, etc. how?

vpt
03-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Some of you seen that I just got a HF tubing roller. Well I realize that I have quite a few (supposed to be bench mounted) tools now and I am running out of room to put them and they are heavy to keep dragging out and then put away. So I would like to build something that they all could be mounted on and be able to be used without moving them. 4 of the tools have corresponding die sets that would have to be with the tool as well.

Anyone want to share some ideas?

I am thinking something like "THE grinder table"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/ghart3/Tools/-Rightside.jpg

These are the tools I would like to mount to this thing or store in, whatever.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8144/randoms003.jpg

http://www.metalshapers.org/101/bead-roller-mods/pics/beadroll5-300.jpg

http://www.zukikrawlers.com/albums/zukinoobi/HFtubeRoller2.jpg

vpt
03-24-2011, 04:44 PM
and

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/attachments/workshop-tips-secrets-tools/916d1169077622-homebuilt-metal-forming-tools-131_3162.jpg

PTSideshow
03-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Use 2" hitch receiver and corresponding tubing with a mounting plate on top for each item. you can mount it horizontal or vertical. When I re do my sheet metal bench, since I have a Beverly knock off shear, a straight shear, the tube and stock bender, and some others that are only used occasionally.

I also am planning on putting a couple receivers under the other benches, so I can free up some space. I have a small arbor press that I will mount on one. A grommet setting press along with some off the wall and smaller type stock benders. One side benefit is they will fit in the receiver tube on your truck. My pipe vise will take up less space, than setting up my rigid tripod!
If I remember correctly they are called gonzita's or something close.

vpt
03-24-2011, 09:12 PM
That sounds like a good idea. I have my brake on a table right now that I think can be modified to hold all the tools and dies. It will need casters and stuff as well.

rohart
03-24-2011, 09:24 PM
First, my terminology may not be spot on.

But slightly off the subject, but is there any reason why a set of slip rolls can't be made up by extending the HF tube bender by adding a base, another end and longer rolls ? Basically, using the HF bender to provide the sturdier end and the gearing.

I have a small strip bender, and I want both a bender like the HF one, and a tool to bend sheet steel up to 15" wide and 3/32nds thick into a 10" radius.

Back to the topic, I haven't got a clue. My one car garage is overflowing as it is. I'm thinking about a large lean-to shed below the kitchen window. I'd plumb a central heating radiator in. It may have to be lower than walk-in, so the roof would be raisable to make a dry weather open air workspace. Her indoors wouldn't like her garden view to be blocked by a lump of felt roof.

I like the trolley idea though. Didn't Gary Hart do that with his welding kit ?

Maybe instead of a trolley with spaces for different tools, a trolley which only becomes a trolley when the larger tools are bolted together back to back, rather like those motorcycles that use the engine as a stressed frame component. Wheel the contraption to the work site, withdraw the wheels, undo the bolts or clamps and drag the part you want a few feet away from the rest to use it.

BadDog
03-24-2011, 10:27 PM
I agree with PT, and I've been doing it for many years.

The problem with mobile carts when combined with those tools is that you generally need some resistance to forces in a variety of orientations. Long pieces of tubing hanging off one side, applying torque to the cranks, and so forth. Any mobile cart that doesn't have a LOT of mass and/or outriggers will have problems, or at least it would for what I do (roll bars and 4x4/"rock buggy" stuff).

In my old shop I had a 3' tall piece of receiver tubing mounted to a ~14" square 1/2 thick plate bolted to (through) the 6"+ concrete slab in my shop. That's where I put stuff when I was REALLY cranking with it, like using my big tube bender to bend tubing for 4x4 buggy body and roll bar sections. For lighter stuff, I had several mounts on my heavy welding table. And for more portability I had adapters that allowed use mounted to one of my trucks. And finally, not only did I have my bending/fabrication tools mounted on 2" mounts, I also had extra grinders, vises, small shop made anvils, and tables that could mount in the receivers.

With a system like that, you could easily add one or more receivers to a mobile cart for use when appropriate with small stuff, then move it to a heavier mount when/as needed.

Dawai
03-25-2011, 07:34 AM
Mount each tool to a plate, on the plate, sideways or vertical.. mount a 2x2 piece of square tubing..

I did mine mostly vertical.. hard to couple and uncouple.. perhaps a better idea to do it sideways.. ON the big tools.. that must sit on top of a table I guess you'd be better off to have the balance over the table's center.. A lift arm.. ceiling hook?

DOing over?? I'd put sockets all in the concrete floor slab to "take" moving post stands.. which take tool sockets.. which...

See my power-helve hammer run around the floor?? anchors are good..

NOT saw the "hf" rolling tube bender.. I built my model3 welectric pump and home made mount for the 24" stroke cylinder..... A old engine protractor on the head.. measures degrees..

My model3 is on a table.. wheels on one end only.. handles on the other end.. it is 30x30" so it can fit through a door.. lift one end, trolley it like a wheelbarrow.. rollers are "too small thou" and hitting a poc on the floor gives you a feeling it is going endo-endo..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/sscn1388.jpg

I even had a 2x2 socket on the dump truck.. on pretty days.. I would work outside.. I have saw excellent driveway sockets on here too..

MY english wheel frame, has a 2x2 socket on it.. great for hammer dollies.. or a tool that don't have a thing to do with metal shaping.. just metal fabrication..

vpt
03-25-2011, 09:12 AM
The problem with mobile carts when combined with those tools is that you generally need some resistance to forces in a variety of orientations. Long pieces of tubing hanging off one side, applying torque to the cranks, and so forth. Any mobile cart that doesn't have a LOT of mass and/or outriggers will have problems, or at least it would for what I do (roll bars and 4x4/"rock buggy" stuff).

The only tools I have that will be going on this table that really need to be anchored good is the brake. The aluminum bender in the first pic is my roll cage bender and is hydraulic driven. So the only leverage with that tool is pulling on the pump handle. I think once I get everything together on this table or in the cabinet under the table I think there will be enough weight to hold the table still enough while working. I noticed HF had some big casters with brakes/locks that should work good for the table.

Another reason I want the table to roll is because of space in the shop, there isn't much and I need to be able to get vehicles in the shop for work. I figured I could roll the table out when needed, do the work, then roll it back in the corner out of the way.

All excellent ideas here though! I just so happen to have some receiver 2" steel from a canceled receiver hitch job.