PDA

View Full Version : OT: Sons of Guns Question

Mike P
03-25-2011, 11:11 AM
I've only seen one and a half episodes, so maybe they've said something about it, but how do these guys make and sell automatic weapons and silencers and not have a friendly neighborhood ATF agent at the door every day?

Mike

Cobbler
03-25-2011, 11:17 AM
All of that stuff is perfectly legal if you have the proper permits/licenses to conduct that type of business. Not all that difficult to obtain if you are willing to pay the fees. Most folks can't turn enough profit to justify the fees... that is probably why there are not more of the various types of FFL's issued.

x39
03-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Machine guns and silencers are not illegal, they are strictly controlled. By obtaining proper permits and paying a tax, they can be owned, sold, and manufactured. I'm sure someone will chime in with the pre-'86 provisions on full-autos, but that is the short and sweet of it. The best place for information is straight from the regulating agency, ATF. Their web-site: www.atf.gov

38_Cal
03-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Got to add, when you watch the show virtually all of the folks bringing orders for full auto, short barrels, silencers, etc., are government agency representatives...a licensed manufacturer of machine guns, etc., can make new products for police agencies or the military as long as the proper paperwork is completed.

I watched a few episodes, but it seems to be going the way of a lot of "reality" shows with manufactured drama and little to no socially redeeming content.

David

lazlo
03-25-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm sure someone will chime in with the pre-'86 provisions on full-autos, but that is the short and sweet of it.

The key point there is that civilians can't purchase post 1986 full auto weapons, so that M2 build they botched, for example, can only be sold to law enforcement or military.

Ditto for the fake Thompson they converted to full auto.

recoilless
03-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Was the M2 kit botched a semi auto? Any full auto (after May 1986) is called a post dealer sample and for the most part is LE and Gov't. As long as your state allows, destructive devices (non sporting bore over .500"), short barreled shotguns and rifles can be made/sold as long as transfer tax is paid along with form approval. Prior approval is the operative word(s).

justanengineer
03-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Im not sure legalities applies to television anymore. Every time I turn it on I am amazed at what there is now from shows about Mormons with multiple wives to underage celebrities at home drinking and doing drugs.

Regarding that show, the most unbelievable thing I see is the silly-ness of the weapons they build for supposed "combat" situations. They make big claims but in reality they either copy existing designs, or build something so ridiculous nobody would use it other than as a toy. Personally Im trying to figure out the reason they needed an expert to build an M2 (one of the least complicated firearms I handled in 7 years), and how a proud ex-Marine/gunsmith never handled the gun the military has been using for the longest?

That being said...If theres nothing else interesting on, I still love the show.

lazlo
03-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Was the M2 kit botched a semi auto? Any full auto (after May 1986) is called a post dealer sample and for the most part is LE and Gov't.

Yes, it was full auto -- they showed milling off the denial islands. One of the few times they've used their Bridgeport :)

Seastar
03-25-2011, 03:49 PM
I think the show is really stupid.
I have built two legal semiautomatic 50 caliber M2HB Brownings and two 1919A4 30 caliber Brownings and many other kinds of guns.
They are really easy.
If I had wanted to break the law I could have made them full auto easly.
I don't see the big deal.
Bill

squirrel
03-25-2011, 04:49 PM
x2 that on the show. Based upon their appearance and temperment in the show its hard to imagine they can even own a gun in their state. I kinda suspect something is up with the old man because the daughter owns the company, she might be the only one without a DWI or domestic charge.

CCWKen
03-25-2011, 05:36 PM
I've seen a few of the shows. I'm pretty sure they turn a profit. None of the items they've made or sold went for less than $1500. And that was for a fake WWII bazooka. Not counting the fake amunition at $250 a pop. They always have guys showing up on the show and drop 3-4 grand for custom firearms. Seems like all they did was restock, bed and custom sight it. I missed the end of the show where they bought (and sold, I think) a $250,000 canon. :eek:

lazlo
03-25-2011, 06:43 PM
I missed the end of the show where they bought (and sold, I think) a $250,000 canon. :eek:

That was another bogus episode, IMHO -- they wanted to X-ray a Civil War era cannon before they fired it. Good idea. So they hire some ultrasound guys, and they look at a 3 square inch section and call it good to go :confused:

wierdscience
03-25-2011, 08:19 PM
That was another bogus episode, IMHO -- they wanted to X-ray a Civil War era cannon before they fired it. Good idea. So they hire some ultrasound guys, and they look at a 3 square inch section and call it good to go :confused:

Been there done that,but with ultrasonic testing.Friend of mine owns two 12lb mortars.one came out of storage in a barn and the other off the bottom of a river.Basically the idea is you buff the barrels and then examine any discolored spots.Discoloration can indicate prosity that was filled with water and possibly corroded under the surface.

The one found in the river went for ultrasonic testing since it had two spots the size of a golf ball in the side that looked bad.Turned out it was only about 1/16" deep and didn't affect the strength.The one found in the barn didn't get testing,no suspicious marks and since it was still here(didn't explode during the war) there was no need to.

I don't doubt the testing done,but I do doubt the story.I think it was one of those Antiques Roadshow moments where they brought in a ringer.

tsmartin_98
03-25-2011, 08:53 PM
I've only seen one and a half episodes, so maybe they've said something about it, but how do these guys make and sell automatic weapons and silencers and not have a friendly neighborhood ATF agent at the door every day?

Mike

In one episode a guy came in to buy a suppressed shotgun and when Steph told him there was a 4 month wait, I think, for the paperwork to clear he left.

TS

RPease
03-25-2011, 08:54 PM
x2 that on the show. Based upon their appearance and temperment in the show its hard to imagine they can even own a gun in their state. I kinda suspect something is up with the old man because the daughter owns the company, she might be the only one without a DWI or domestic charge.

My guess is that the daughter makes the company qualify as a "woman/minority owned" business and gets them all sorts of tax breaks and such. If I had a business.....it would be in my "beagles" name. She's female, various colors (tri-color - white/black/tan), and handicapped (lost 1 eye as a pup). It that doesn't qualify as "minority owned", I don't know what does.

Now if I can only teach her to sign the loan paperwork........ledgibly........:D

tsmartin_98
03-25-2011, 08:55 PM

Nice attack on people you don't know.

TS