PDA

View Full Version : Lens for Cannon Rebel 300D

Black Forest
03-26-2011, 02:54 AM
I would like to buy a better lens for my Cannon 300d Rebel camera. My daughter is starting to take an interest in photography and I would give here this camera to start with. She is only 8 and I don't want to give her an expensive camera yet!

So to you photographers out there, which lenses should I buy for her. It has a kt lens on it now.

She likes to take pictures of the animals and flowers. The animals are horses, sheep and deer.

A good quality lens without be ridiculously expensive I think would be in order.

Allan Waterfall
03-26-2011, 04:34 AM
I got the 50mm lens for mine,I think it's probably the cheapest lens Canon do,somewhere around F1.8 from memory.No zoom,but takes pretty good sharp pics.Good for portrait type pics.They also do a F1.4 but that's more expensive.

I'm a bit out of touch with photography after the initial burst of interest unfortunately.

Allan

Black_Moons
03-26-2011, 04:38 AM
I thought any camera with detatchable lenses WAS an expensive camera.

mike os
03-26-2011, 06:31 AM
sigma & tamron both do some half decent glass at far less that the big name boys, good reviews at http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

I have found the reviews there pretty much reflect the actual product

Personally I would look at a prime lens in the 30-50mm range, f1.8-f2. Learning with a prime is far better that a zoom as you have to think more and move to get the shot, & you always find a better perspective than where you started from.

mbensema
03-26-2011, 08:31 AM
The 18-55 IS kit lens is optically very good, you might have the older version which is not as good that you got with the 300D. You will need to spend some serious money to get anything much better and since it is cheap, you don't have to worry about her damaging it.

I wanted more reach and a faster lens, so I bought the Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.0 lens and am very happy with it, it is on my camera just about all the time. I also have a Sigma 30mm lens that is great when it works, but it had a front focusing issue, I sent it in under warranty to repair and it came back broken, it completely misfocuses with the outer focusing points now. After two additional attempts at getting it fixed, they say there is nothing wrong with the lens, so I would not recommend this lens.

The Canon 55-250 lens is pretty good and will help her with taking pictures of animals at a distance as well as close ups of the flowers. I have this lens and like it a lot. Don't recall what it is selling for, but it is realtively cheap.

Evan
03-26-2011, 08:44 AM
The 300D has a image reproduction ratio of 1.6 to 1 because of the smaller than full frame sensor. That means you need a ~30mm lens to produce the same image scale as a 50mm lens on film. Non zoom lenses are alway better image quality than zoom lenses since there are fewer elements and moving parts. The kit lens that comes with the 300D is terrible which is why it does nice portraits. Portraits always benefit from soft focus which the kit lens has in abundance.

Any EOS series lens from the Canon film or digital EOS series will work on the 300D. A fixed focal length lens is much more expensive if bought new and a fixed focus wide angle lens from the Canon selection is in the range of $800.

If you make it to Frankfurt any time soon there is a used camera shop near the Hauptbahnhof that has an amazing selection of used and new lenses. It's worth a stop there to see what they have.

Mike Burdick
03-26-2011, 09:55 AM
I would like to buy a better lens for my Cannon 300d Rebel camera. My daughter is starting to take an interest in photography and I would give her this camera to start with. She is only 8 and I don't want to give her an expensive camera yet! ...

:eek: ... I assume you are just pointing out how foolish some parents can be - right?

Tait
03-26-2011, 10:32 AM
I have a 300D - it's the original Digital Rebel is only worth about $300 new - this one's used. If I got a new body, I would probably send this one the direction of a youngster rather than selling it.

As for lenses, remember that someone new to photography doesn't need a zoom lens - they're going to be learning about exposure and aperature and ISO and composition and holding the camera still, etc. Prime (non-zoom) lenses encourage creative composition in ways that are killed by zooms.

The 50mm f1.8 is an inexpensive lens that does a GREAT job and is even useful for indoor photography, so I'd agree with other recommendations for it.

philbur
03-26-2011, 11:01 AM
The 18-55 kit lens is more than good enough for an 8 year old. If and when she points out the lens limitations in the photos she has taken you can buy her something better, including a better camera.

Phil:)

Black Forest
03-26-2011, 12:05 PM
I assume you are just pointing out how foolish some parents can be - right?

Wrong. Why shouldn't she have a fairly decent camera? I see nothing foolish about letting her have this camera. I see it as teaching her to be responsible for her things. Which she is actually.

The other reason she should have a good lens is I will be in some of the pictures!!!! To get a good picture of me she needs all the help she can get!

I want her to have a zoom lens even if it is a compromise in quality of the picture. I don't want to over whelm her with changing lenses.

I was thinking of something in the 70 to 200mm range. With the 1.6 to 1 that will give her enough zoom to take pictures of the deer that frequent our farm and of the horses in the pasture which is her favorite.

RB211
03-26-2011, 12:28 PM
All the lenses work well, however when it comes to re-sell value, nothing beats real Canon lenses.
As Evan said, the sensor has a 1.6 cropping factor, this works to your advantage in choosing lenses designed for EF mounts. Your Rebel will take EF and EFS.
For a decent all around lens with image stabilization, the Canon EF 28-135 lens is very good. This lens performance suffers on the edges and corners on a full size sensor camera. However, since your Canon uses the smaller sensor, the sensor only sees the best part of the lens, and the soft corners are not a problem.
The downside to the 1.6 cameras however is Wide Angle. There is only one lens you should consider for this, the Canon 10-22. It is an EFS lens, designed for the 1.6 camera's, and will not work on a full size sensor camera like the 5d.
This lens has L series glass, but since it is an EFS mount, Canon will not give it the L designation.
This lens will be the most expensive part of your kit.
These are the lenses I use with my Canon 20D. The only other lenses I had temptation for would be the 1.8 50mm, and a decent Macro.

macona
03-26-2011, 01:52 PM
I went ahead and sprung for the 50mm 1.4 last week over the 1.8. Its a great lens, but almost 4x the cost. But with the 1.6 crop it is about a 80mm lens. I am heading down in a bit to look at a 24mm. That will give me almost 50mm which is a good general lens.

philbur
03-26-2011, 02:37 PM
18 - 200mm gives a better range between wide angle and zoom.

Phil:)

I was thinking of something in the 70 to 200mm range. With the 1.6 to 1 that will give her enough zoom to take pictures of the deer that frequent our farm and of the horses in the pasture which is her favorite.

Evan
03-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Here is the difference between the 18-55 kit lens and a fixed focal length diffraction limited Japanese lens. Both lenses were wide open for these shots as they were taken after sunset.

http://ixian.ca/pics8/lens1.jpg

http://ixian.ca/pics8/lens2.jpg

http://ixian.ca/pics8/lens3.jpg

http://ixian.ca/pics8/lens4.jpg