PDA

View Full Version : Clearly not a gloat, but amusing........

J Tiers
03-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Happened on this today, and decided it was cheap (a few bucks) enough seeing as how it is a local-interest antique, in reasonable condition, and is in original box. Patent issued in 1900, may actually be a "genuine antique", although of little real value, antique or otherwise.

As a tool it would have been pretty useless, but maybe OK if the owner had nothing else.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/mic-cal-co1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/mic-cal-co2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/mic-cal-co3.jpg

vpt
03-26-2011, 08:14 PM
Pull the threaded part out and you could use it as a spanner as well. It two tools in one, see they were thinking back then!

polepenhollow
03-26-2011, 08:46 PM
What a beauty. I envy you for your good fortune. Clean it up and put it in that "Special Drawer" in your tool box or on the fireplace mantle for display.
K Liv

becksmachine
03-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Yes, agreed. It's a beauty. :)

Before we dismiss it entirely, we should realize this is/was an improvement over a spring or firm joint caliper.

Dave

S_J_H
03-26-2011, 10:26 PM
I have to disagree with your thread title, That is definitely gloat worthy!

Great find!

Steve

Arcane
03-26-2011, 10:32 PM
It's a nice find alright, definitely one of those "hey, look what I got" pieces. I'm curious, how accurate is it compared to your better quality mics?

Doc Nickel
03-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Actually, you might check with Rivett608 over on the PM forum. He's an antique tool collector, and has extensive knowledge of the early mics and other tools. He recently posted that he'd finally acquired an example of one of the original B&S mics- then used mainly for measuring sheetmetal.

I'm not saying that unit is worth any particular fortune, but I'd wager Rivett could tell you chapter and verse of the history behind the design.

Doc.

gordsgarage
03-26-2011, 11:14 PM
It's a good reminder of the evolution of machinig.

Gord

Forrest Addy
03-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Beg to differ with those who would dismiss your find as a curiousity. That is an early screw micrometer. The micrometer we know evolved from just such an instrument.

I think an expert should look it over and date it, place it in its settiing, and develop what provenence he can from details you can provide about your acquisition, links to previous owners, etc. Starrett, still in Athol MA once had a small museum; maybe they still do. Also, there is the American Mueum of Precision in Vermont.

That my friends is a museum piece.

J. R. Williams
03-26-2011, 11:55 PM
Does the unit have a patent number? Older patent number searches require a number.
JRW

TClarke
03-26-2011, 11:58 PM
Cool tool.

It says it's worth $3.50. Hope you didn't much more than that! :D

J Tiers
03-27-2011, 01:05 AM
Forrest, et al.....

it's a known item. Rivett608 has a couple, as does antiquemac, and others. Theirs are in better condition... and some have a different lock of an earlier type, a ring lock.

Patented in 1900 by Charles Coe, so this one, which is labeled "PAT ALL'D" is later than that. No patent number on it, but the patent is easily found with a google search of the company name

http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?pn=648390&id=12165

Amusingly, the antique auction folks do NOT know about them (or at least pretend not to for purposes of getting higher bids), and even Kenneth Cope wrote that it wasn't clear they were ever made. Perhaps not old enough for them.... I have older tools than this.

I shall have to watch out..... I don't want to become a "collector", I strongly dislike the breed. I associate the term "collector" with the row of fat butts usually seen totally blocking access to the tool bench at any really good tool sale.... swapping stuff back and forth since they are all buddies and collect different stuff....

John Stevenson
03-27-2011, 07:06 AM
Now if you replaced the screw and the drop in nut with a metric one and had another scale on 'toher side you could have the first imperial / metric micrometer known to man. :rolleyes:

wierdscience
03-27-2011, 09:43 AM
$3.50 back then means it wasn't a cheap tool.

A.K. Boomer
03-27-2011, 11:05 AM
First off thank you for bringing this in, when I get done telling you about the history and value of this item you will not only be pleasantly surprised but possibly a little ashamed that you've been using it as a type of C-clamp to hold your child's diaper on...
These units were built by homo-erectile in the industrial paleantoeic age (a very short lived era),,, there were literally thousands built but the fact that you have one of the chrome ones changes everything as there were only two known that were actually completed and built, the fact that its in such good condition puts it in a class all by itself --- these were precision instruments that were used primarily for measuring the skull bone thickness on the diseased - it was thought that if you combined the genetics of the related survivors that you could breed peoples (or I should say ape men) with extremely thick skulls, an extremely important trait when dwelling in caves as many were instantly killed by rocks falling off of ceilings,,,

This theory actually worked for quite a few generations and the population flourished --- but like any good thing they took it too far and the skulls became too thick to support a proper brain size, so much so that homo - e lacked sufficient mental capabilities to tie his own shoe's and therefor quickly became a meal for fast nimble creatures like the velociraptors and such,

Despite the invent of velcro shoe's by another tree dwelling tribe who was only trying to help it was not only too little too late but just prolonged the misery as homo - e kept going full steam with their skull thickening practices till they just became plain stupid...

Now for the value; since these units are so rare and unique and were also responsible for the demise of an entire species I would put the value somewhere around 1.2 to 1.4 million, needless to say I think you've done quite well for your investment, thanks again for bringing it in...

and just in case your wondering - one of these is absolutely worth two in the bush - seeing as though there is only one other I think its safe to say you won't find both of them in the same spot anyways... (there ------------- now it's amusing).