PDA

View Full Version : SB Gloat

Rex
03-28-2011, 07:34 PM
CL ad said South Bend lathe Model A $100
I called and said. I'll buy it, be there in an hour"
I halfway expected him to back out, but he didn't.
He was cleaning out a rent house for a landlard and there was all this old iron. He was told to get rid of it.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c196/rburkheimer/da4ca86e.jpg
It took me a couple hours of cleaning and a trip to the car wash to get it this nice. Bed has scraping markings evenly evident all along the front vee. Backlash is minimal
Even came with some tooling.

CL444A s/n 22950NAR9

Looks like this would be a 1950 model

wierdscience
03-28-2011, 07:43 PM
That definately counts as major gloat:)

Al Messer
03-28-2011, 08:31 PM
And for only one hundred bucks you can sleep at night with a clear conscious? LOL! Congratulations on your find!!

Bill736
03-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Wow ! A 9 inch SB with the QC gearbox for $100 ! Isn't it nice, just once in a while, to be in the right place at the right time , and in the front of the line !

gwilson
03-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Great find. However,it's the INSIDE edge of the front vee where the wear will be seen most. As the lathe tool cuts,it pushes the carriage away from the front of the lathe(trys to.)

JCHannum
03-28-2011, 09:27 PM
Nice score. That thread counter looks familiar, was it a HSM project at one time?

Dr Stan
03-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Very nice score. Virtually identical to my 9" except for the threading dial.

JoeFin
03-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Dude - NICE Score

wooleybooger
03-28-2011, 10:21 PM
just like at a dance- some guys get the pretty girls, some guys are stuck drinking beer with their buddies.

Rex
03-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I really lucked out. He said after I called the phone rang off the wall. There was a crowd of people buying other stuff and I heard a couple of conversations like "That is the $100 lathe???" Pretty rough-looking crowd at that. I decided haste was of the essence.

I don't know about that thread dial. It doesn't look shop-made, but it sure doesn't look like the factory version.

Near as I can tell, the only thing missing is the tailstock lead dauber.
Might be the first project.

Came with 4-jaw, drive plate, 3 lathe dogs, various drill chucks on MT arbors, TS center, chuck wrench. I spent the evening cleaning those and dropping them in Evaporust.

I have a good 3-jaw left from an Atlas that I think will fit, and a faceplate someone recently gave me for a chinese 9X20, which I think is all 1-1/2-8 thread.

gwilson
03-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Never saw one with the lead dauber still there.

I bought a truly magnificent hydraulic tracing head that substitutes for the top slide of a 9" SB. I wish I had one to mount it on,though I can make adapters to put it on my Hardinge HLVH,or my 16" lathe. I have used a Lehigh manual tracing attachment for many years,which has worked just fine,and made me a lot of money making spinning chucks. I only ever saw 1 other,though,which I bought for my helper.

Fasttrack
03-29-2011, 01:16 AM
Lead dauber? Someone illuminate me, please! :)

J. Randall
03-29-2011, 03:57 AM
Fasttrack, see that empty hole on the top left corner of the tailstock casting? It was made to hold a white lead and oil paste to lubricate the tailstock center. What is missing is a little dauber, most had a round brass head and either a tapered body or rod that extended down into the lube.
James

aboard_epsilon
03-29-2011, 07:59 AM
Nice score. That thread counter looks familiar, was it a HSM project at one time?

Hmmm, the one that came with mine looks exactly the same

all the best.markj

coldformer
03-29-2011, 08:44 AM
CL ad said South Bend lathe Model A $100
I called and said. I'll buy it, be there in an hour"
I halfway expected him to back out, but he didn't.
He was cleaning out a rent house for a landlard and there was all this old iron. He was told to get rid of it.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c196/rburkheimer/da4ca86e.jpg
It took me a couple hours of cleaning and a trip to the car wash to get it this nice. Bed has scraping markings evenly evident all along the front vee. Backlash is minimal
Even came with some tooling.

CL444A s/n 22950NAR9

Looks like this would be a 1950 model
you power washed it?

JCHannum
03-29-2011, 08:46 AM
The thread dial in the photo appears to be made with an aluminum body and is of a very different shape than the South Bend casting. I seem to recall a build article a few years ago in the magazines for a similar article.

The typical SB dial is as in this parts list;

http://www.wswells.com/partslist/929C.pdf

bborr01
03-29-2011, 08:56 AM
That is a score. I bought a SB heavy 10 about 6 or 7 years ago for $300 with no tooling and was thrilled. Sold it a couple years ago for $450.

That is a major deal.

Brian

aboard_epsilon
03-29-2011, 10:44 AM
The thread dial in the photo appears to be made with an aluminum body and is of a very different shape than the South Bend casting. I seem to recall a build article a few years ago in the magazines for a similar article.

The typical SB dial is as in this parts list;

http://www.wswells.com/partslist/929C.pdf

The guy who i had it off, must have made one from the same article then .

had a load of books off the same guy ( his son ..father owner of lathe deceased) of Home Shop Machinists projects ..so he must have made it from a design in there then ..me thinks.

all the best.markj

Fasttrack
03-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Fasttrack, see that empty hole on the top left corner of the tailstock casting? It was made to hold a white lead and oil paste to lubricate the tailstock center. What is missing is a little dauber, most had a round brass head and either a tapered body or rod that extended down into the lube.
James

Ahh! I always wondered what that hole was on SB tailstocks... Thanks for informing me! I probably never would've figured it out otherwise.

fciron
03-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Ahh! I always wondered what that hole was on SB tailstocks... Thanks for informing me! I probably never would've figured it out otherwise.

I did figure out not to oil the dauber hole, but that was only after I spent three years religiously oiling a hole on a Little Giant power hammer that turned out to be nothing but a leftover center hole. D'oh!

Dang, one c-note, with tooling! I'd find a use for a second lathe at that price.

Rex
03-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Does anyone have a photo or dimensioned drawing of that little dauber?

I'd like to make one for the sake of completeness, though I never use them.

Or better yet, anyone have an extra?

ETA: Found this http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/making-tailstock-dauber-130321/

3t-
03-29-2011, 12:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgwsigIyz0c

At 2:30 into this vid. you see the Dauber in use.

George Bulliss
03-29-2011, 12:34 PM

It was more than a few years ago. The article was published in the May/June 1986 HSM and can be found on page 128 of the "Projects Three" book. "Threading Dial Indicator for the Lathe" was written by W. Pete Peterka.

JCHannum
03-29-2011, 02:54 PM
You are quite the detective George. I don't have the magazines back that far, but have been buying the books, which is wh i thought it might have been more recent.