PDA

View Full Version : Pressure regulator OT

Boucher
04-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Can an Acetylene regulator be used on a Propane tank? I have a variable pressure Propane regulator on a jet type burner on a fish fryer. It works great at the 10psi pressures used most of the time. It doesn’t work very well less than 5psi. A good quality Acetylene regulator would appear to be a good prospect for providing smoother low-pressure flow control.

Abner
04-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Maybe....
There are 2 factors, pressure and flow.

rws
04-02-2011, 05:32 PM
I bought a burner that was sold for outside deep frying and such. Well, the regulator was direct from main land China and wasn't worth a damn. It was adjustable, or at least it appears it was, but it didn't work.

It has what I think you're talking about a "jet" type burner, looking at the orifice. I canned the regulator that came with it, installed a regulator off of a propane heater I had that had a valve to adjust the flame.

Well, if I burn fairly strong, it does OK, nice blue flame. But when I want a low flame, it goes yellow and smoke and soots up the pot big time.

I would love to know how to control the burner on this without the soot at low flame.

BTW, to stay on topic, I used an acetylene regulator with an adapter on a 20 pound propane tank to use on my cutting torch. You need the right tip, but it works fine.

sasquatch
04-02-2011, 07:22 PM
My torch,s regulator has been used with propane for close to twenty years.

winchman
04-03-2011, 03:49 AM
The sooting would be caused by not having enough air mixing with the fuel. At higher settings, the fuel disturbs the surrounding air enough to pull more of it into the stream and improve the mix ratio.

You'd need to go to something built like a propane torch nozzle. They seem to burn cleanly at very low settings. Maybe you could make some sort of forced air system could be turned on after lighting the gas.

Boucher
04-03-2011, 09:04 AM
One solution to both the sooting and regulation is to go to a smaller orfice operating at higher pressure. This will be much noisier.