PDA

View Full Version : Lawncare season ideas

wierdscience
04-02-2011, 11:20 PM
It's that time of year,it's misery,unless you have a plan;)

Freudian Bass fishing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbmRexwgKaY&feature=related

"Reel" Mower?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWW--UY2X20&NR=1

WhoooooPaaaaaa!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPeXW41dj44&NR=1

Oh Hell Ya!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpVkT2ZW708&feature=related

Evan
04-02-2011, 11:44 PM
First rule is to wait for the snow to melt.

Ken_Shea
04-02-2011, 11:58 PM
My plan this year actually started late last year when some good ole boy stole my 10 year old Gravely from the barn, unfortunately for the insurance company, my insurance was replacement value, so ended up with a new $9k Ferris IS2000 zero turn 4 wheel independent suspension 54" cut for $2300. Has cut my 12 hour mowing time to about 5 hours, and still able to able to walk afterwords, unlike after using the very good but rough riding Gravely which I could not complete the mowing in a day, hour wise or pain wise.

Black Forest
04-03-2011, 02:42 AM
Hey Ken, I have been meaning to ask you what to do with that Gravely you had me "pick up" from your barn?

vpt
04-03-2011, 07:43 AM
My lawn is still white.

gvasale
04-03-2011, 08:05 AM
there is NEVER anything unfortunate for an insurance company. Not the way they tend to screw policy holders.

gary350
04-03-2011, 08:18 AM
I have some 3/4" sq tubing I am building a frame for 3 lawn mower engines. Front wheels will be the 20" front wheels, fork and steering system from a 20" bicycle. Back wheels will be 20" bicycle wheels and tires too. 20" blades on each 3.5 hp engine with 2" of over lap using the center engine off set about 12" to the front of the frame. I built one of these 28 years ago it worked great, pushed easy and cut a spot 56" wide. I could mow my 3/4 acre yard in 20 minutes. One day I was mowing the grass some guy driving by saw the mower and stopped. He loved my mower and insisted on buy it. I said it is not for sale many times but he insisted I give him a price. I priced it very high $500. so he would leave I did not want to sell it. He pull $500 cash out of his pocket and paid me on the spot. Damn it!!! I have been planning to build another mower for 28 years and now I am finally getting around to doing it.

vpt
04-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Why not one motor with a pulley system?

Uncle O
04-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Since my front lawn was completely wiped out last summer by grubs, I will be pulling up what little is left, killing off any little bugs I find, poisoning the ones I don't, and putting down some sod...

gary350
04-03-2011, 08:35 AM
Why not one motor with a pulley system?

3 engines are easier to build and less maintenance. ONE engine would have to be 10 or 12 hp then I would need 2 flange bearing for each shaft, several pullies, several idler pullies, belt take up pully with spring, and a large V belt, the frame would have to be stronger and I have to make shafts in the lathe built and make it all work. All that is expensive and more work and makes a heavy push mower. 3 brand new push mowers are $130 each at Lowe's all I have to do is remove the engines and put them on my frame. Wow it sure does sound nice with 3 engines running.

hitnmiss
04-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Amazing that mass production makes 3 engines (and mower deck, handle, etc) cheaper than 3 shafts and bearings but it's true.

Please post up your build Gary.

Or, just tell me where you live and I'll start saving $500!

tlfamm
04-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Years ago I saw a picture of a row-house in Baltimore - these particular houses had small two-level grassy front yards with a gentle slope between the levels.

The owner of this particular house had surfaced his entire front yard with green-tinted concrete ("seament" as the locals would say) - but on the upper tier was a small concrete pedestal, and on top sat enshrined his push-lawnmower.

On the oppressively hot & humid summer days for which that city is famous, I can imagine the homeowner sitting on a glide-chair on the front porch, brew in hand (maybe National Bohemian?), admiring the object-de-arte on the pedestal with a wide smirk on his face.

Dan Dubeau
04-03-2011, 10:14 AM
New mower is on my list. Got a hand me down 19.5hp rider last year, and it needed some tlc....everytime I used it. That got old fast, so this year, I'm looking into getting one of those zero turn types. I don't have much to mow around the house. only about an acre or so, of grass. I do have about 10 acres that will need to be bush hogged about 3-4 times this year. Trying to find a good, cheap bush hog right now. That should be fun :rolleyes:

I've got the same sort of idea as Gary for a tow behind brush mower. I'd rather have a PTO driven one for the tractor, but there are spot here where a tow behind the ATV would be better. Either way I'm into it for about $5-600, as my junk pile just isn't that big to pick from yet.

Couple weeks away though. Still got about 6" of snow on my front yard in spots, with a couple piles about 2' still. Sitting on the front porch looking at it now. 9 degrees and sunny out, non migrating canada geese buzzing the treetops, honking away, flying from one neighbors pond to another. Heard some wild gobblers when I came out an hour ago (can't wait till the end of the month :D ), and the wild peacocks (yep "wild") are honking and howling away (what an awefull sound they make) along with all the other birds around. Sundays around here are usually when everybody fire the tractors up and cut's their grass. The next month is perfect as it's nice enough to come out of hibernation, and listen to the sounds of nature, without the sound of a david brown or massey in the background.

bborr01
04-03-2011, 10:20 AM
My plan this year actually started late last year when some good ole boy stole my 10 year old Gravely from the barn, unfortunately for the insurance company, my insurance was replacement value, so ended up with a new $9k Ferris IS2000 zero turn 4 wheel independent suspension 54" cut for $2300. Has cut my 12 hour mowing time to about 5 hours, and still able to able to walk afterwords, unlike after using the very good but rough riding Gravely which I could not complete the mowing in a day, hour wise or pain wise.

Ken,

Your lawn must be huge.

I am cutting over 3 acres and it takes me 1 1/2 to 2 hours, depending on conditions, to cut with a John Deere F935 diesel with a 72" cut.

How many acres do you cut?

Brian

justanengineer
04-03-2011, 10:30 AM
One of my former neighbors when I lived in NY ties his push mower behind his ATV with a rope and mows at about 20 mph. Granted, that is also the guy with a single wide and a garage bigger than most houses so hes not all that bad. I always found the trick to lawn care is to get it started early and cut it weekly at least. If it gets too tall it just slows down the process. On the farm I used to be the official mower - 10 acres of lawn with either the old 40" Gravely or older Cub Cadet - using high gear. I once tried to use the 8 ft 3 pt hitch finish mower that we use on the pastures and found out very quickly why golf course mowers are small sections hinged together as it looked terrible when done. Luckily I moved a few months ago into a house where the lawn service is contracted out by the homeowner's association.

Ken_Shea
04-04-2011, 07:13 AM
Hey Ken, I have been meaning to ask you what to do with that Gravely you had me "pick up" from your barn?

Ha-Ha, you did me a great favor, I am still grinning about it's being stolen, thank you.
I do have a special price on, new belts, blades, pulleys and two tires that I had just purchased for it.

Not three weeks prior to it being stolen I was hot and heavy on a zero turn but just did not want to spend $9k (in this economy) to get one, I am sure that it would have raised some eyebrows with in the insurance claim section had they known it :)

Ken_Shea
04-04-2011, 07:17 AM
there is NEVER anything unfortunate for an insurance company. Not the way they tend to screw policy holders.

It is a fact, if they can they will and won't blink an eye.

Ken_Shea
04-04-2011, 07:23 AM
Ken,

Your lawn must be huge.

I am cutting over 3 acres and it takes me 1 1/2 to 2 hours, depending on conditions, to cut with a John Deere F935 diesel with a 72" cut.

How many acres do you cut?

Brian

Brian, only about 7 but most was nothing but Multifloral rose and trees when I started. That part is very, very rough terrain with many trees and other obstacles that impede maneuvering and the speed at which it can be mowed. The Zero turn and independant 4 wheel suspension is no gimmick, it really helps and I can mow much faster. I don't doubt even more time can be cut as I get used to the mower.

J Harp
04-04-2011, 09:55 PM
The guy with the mower on a rope is working his butt off fighting gravity. Better to make gravity work for you by using a rope twice as long as it takes to reach from the top of the bank to the bottom. Tie one end of the rope near the left front wheel and the other end near the left rear wheel. Attach brackets to tie to if necessary.

Walk along the top of the bank a strand of rope in each hand, starting at the bottom of the bank and work upward, steer the mower by pulling on the rope attached near the leading wheel, whichever way you are going. Just walk back and forth and steer the mower just like driving old Dobbin. I cut miles of tank dikes that way when I worked for Texaco.

vpt
04-04-2011, 10:08 PM
3 engines are easier to build and less maintenance. ONE engine would have to be 10 or 12 hp then I would need 2 flange bearing for each shaft, several pullies, several idler pullies, belt take up pully with spring, and a large V belt, the frame would have to be stronger and I have to make shafts in the lathe built and make it all work. All that is expensive and more work and makes a heavy push mower. 3 brand new push mowers are $130 each at Lowe's all I have to do is remove the engines and put them on my frame. Wow it sure does sound nice with 3 engines running.

I wasn't so much thinking of the initial build so much as the maintenance on three engines compared to one, the fuel usage, I figured one would be lighter than 3, less engines to give you troubles, etc. I would think it would be easy to find a good 3 blade deck off a old mower with the pulley system already on it and possibly a good motor.

winchman
04-05-2011, 12:02 AM
For the last twelve years, we've been having someone else do the mowing, weed-eating, power-blowing, etc. When I consider ALL the costs of doing it myself, it really costs very little to have someone come with all the needed equipment, spend an hour here, do a better job than I would or could do in several hours, and leave with $50.

Dawai
04-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Cutting close by the chain link fence pisses me off, everytime.. weedeating there..
I see why corporations pour a concrete strip under the fence. (holds the guard dogs in too)

Darin, the robot mower got chunked onto the junk mans truck. I still have the futaba ground controller, reciever, and dc motor drives.. A weather proof camera.. if you want something fun.. for about ten minutes.. Sit on the couch and mow.. The wheelchair motors and my cheap battery packs just would not hold up. Perhaps a better deal would be a self propelled mower pulling a alternator-charging the battery pack.

wierdscience
04-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Hey ya,a Robo-mower is what I want.Former neighbor lady had the Husqavarna version,all she did was weedeat the inside corners it didn't get besides flip it over on it's back once a week and change the string.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C1enKnHpys&feature=related

The new neighbor only has a lazy teenager,doesn't work as good:) The old wire from the robo-mower is still there,told them maybe the kid needs a dog shock collar so he can't leave the yard till the grass is cut.

His mother frowned on the idea,stupid soft parents these days I tells ya:D