PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a multifix to my lathe ?

TR
04-03-2011, 07:30 AM
I have just about completed fitting my new multifix tool holder to my lathe.
The multifix has two holes in its base, which I assume is for fitting a dowl pin or similar. What should I do ? Fit a dowl pin or a bolt ? What have others done.
Thanks very much.

Photo show the two hole.

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu354/topari/DSCN3912Small.jpg

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu354/topari/DSCN3914Small.jpg

macona
04-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Mine is only held in place wit the center bolt.

philbur
04-03-2011, 02:19 PM
It's for fitting a pair of dowel pins to prevent the post from slipping under high load. If you pin it then it will be more difficult to position the post at a precise angle when needed. Best is to wait and see if you have slippage issues befor you pin it.

Quote form the Original Multi-Suisse operating instructions:

"Fitting of dowelpins is only necessary if the tool-holders has to stand heavy tangential stresses."

Phil:)

Forrest Addy
04-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Yup what Philbur cited. You only need the pins if you plan to use the Multifix with the Type "J" Bush holder and a Morse taper sleeve for power feed drilling.

I have a full width compound T-slot nut like yours drilled for the pins but I've never used it for drilling. I don't know where I put the Metric pins I made for it. The post never slips even when I hog with a big boring bar but then I tighten the tool post nut pretty good.

aboard_epsilon
04-03-2011, 05:27 PM
TR
See you have one of your ball oiling fixtures stuck down ..I have one like that ..no amount of prodding will get it back right

is it a case of renewing it ..or is there another way out .

all the best.markj

TR
04-03-2011, 05:49 PM
TR
See you have one of your ball oiling fixtures stuck down ..I have one like that ..no amount of prodding will get it back right

is it a case of renewing it ..or is there another way out .

all the best.markj

Well done for noticing. Not sure what I will do.