PDA

View Full Version : Drawbar too long...

S&S_ShovelHead
04-08-2011, 12:51 AM
The drawbar that came with my PM-45M (RF-45) mill is about 2 inches too long. The threads run out before the taper holds. Is there any reason that I shouldn't turn a spacer to go on top on the splined hub to take up some extra room?

Mcgyver
04-08-2011, 12:56 AM
none that occur to me

Black Forest
04-08-2011, 03:16 AM
Why couldn't you thread the bar some more? Or would the drawbar bottom out on the tool holder?

Chief Ben
04-08-2011, 10:02 AM
I have the same problem I ordered the PM-25MV from Matt and my Draw bar is 5/8 to long, I have talked with matt about the problem starting the day I got my Mill on 10 march 2011 He tells me the new ones are on order and would be in every week I call him, I just call and he was not in, I told the person to have Matt to call me when he gets in, But the answer to your Question is yes you can use a spacer, But we Should Not Have To,
E-Mail me if you have any other Questions about the machines,
dgbentz@aol.com Good Luck.
The Chief.

tlfamm
04-08-2011, 10:17 AM
My son's PM30 mill arrived a couple of weeks ago with a factory-supplied spacer (maybe 1-3/4"?) on the drawbar.

This sounds like factory-floor improvisation and/or a one-size fits all policy that has gotten completely out of control.

tlfamm
04-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Speaking of mill drawbars, in Asian practice (at least) they are frequently of two-piece construction: basically a threaded rod with a hex-head attached.

The attachment method is critical: the drawbar on my Grizzly RF45 equivalent (G0484) failed when the soft pin holding the hex-head to the shaft sheared while the drawbar was tightened. I didn't discover this until the machine was in use: fortunately nothing major happened, but the whole tooling stack could have dropped out of the mill while under power. That might have been exciting ...

Grizzly replaced the drawbar no questions asked - but I never used it (it's just another timebomb). I had another drawbar fabricated out of stainless, with a welded head.

MotorradMike
04-08-2011, 10:36 AM
The drawbar that came with my PM-45M (RF-45) mill is about 2 inches too long. The threads run out before the taper holds. Is there any reason that I shouldn't turn a spacer to go on top on the splined hub to take up some extra room?

That's what I did but mine was only about 1/2" too long, it pushed the endmill out the bottom.
The drawbar was also a very loose fit in the bore at the top so my fix was a spacer/bushing.

Just one of those dumb things you have to improve on.
At least it wasn't too short!

You may find that the hex at the top is cross-drilled and pinned to the bar, so you might be able to knock the pin out and re-drill another hole lower down.

Black_Moons
04-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Kinda sad that you guys would need to fix something so basic.

I will note my IH clone mill has a spacer.. but its only 1/4" thick! more of a thrust washer really..

Chief Ben
04-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Yes the spacer will work, But the cap Nut will not fit, And the Black dust cover cap will not fit with the use of a space, And if they are now sending out spacers I guess i'm up **** Creek. Still no call from Matt.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u3/DaveBentz/MillCap001.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u3/DaveBentz/MillCap002.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u3/DaveBentz/MillCap003.jpg

tlfamm
04-08-2011, 11:13 AM
Chief Ben>>>Yes the spacer will work, But the cap Nut will not fit, And the Black dust cover cap will not fit with the use of a space, And if they are now sending out spacers I guess i'm up **** Creek. Still no call from Matt.

QMT has a pretty good rep for customer care - but sometimes patience is required.

This problem should have been caught before the machine was shipped to the customer, however.

EVguru
04-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Ever hear of 'twin life' drawbars?

Some dealers are selling them described as such.

Overlength to start with, use with a spacer.

When the thread is worn, cut it down and dump the spacer.

Second life.

Chief Ben
04-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Never heard of 'twin life drawbars' But I do not think this is the problem,
I Think The People we are Dealing With Do Not Have There S**** Together,
and do not care about the real problem if some one gets hurt. And as For as Needing to Add A Spacer, is not A problem for me,
But what about The poor kid or some one that does not know what he has can hurt him real Bad,
if the chuck comes out at a few thousand RPM's It could cut Right through you, Lets not give out the idea that that this is not a problem,
It Is and Could be A Real Life problem for some one,
And I could see some Lawyers Jumping on this Like Big Money in A Class Action Lawsuit,
All I Want Is....Matt Nadeji :with QualityMachine Tools, LLC
701 parkway View Dr.
BLDG #7
Pittsburgh, PA. 15205
Phone number 412-787-2876
www.machinetoolonline.com
E-Mail Sales@machinetoolonline.com To Do The Right Thing and Make this right to All of Us. Thanks The Old Navy Chief.