PDA

View Full Version : Hole Saw Arbor?

Boucher
04-16-2011, 04:02 PM
The retaining nut on my hole saw arbor has left hand threads. The saw can be turned over to reverse the cutting direction. My understanding was that the preferred direction of cut was in the conventional direction. This means that the rotation changes with the side and direction of feed. The key keeps the saw and spacers from turning. So why did they go to the trouble to use the left hand threads?

Black_Moons
04-16-2011, 04:26 PM
some people remove the key, As they feel its better to spin the saw then explode it, if it jams.

becksmachine
04-16-2011, 07:12 PM
Hole saw arbor? Or milling cutter arbor??

Dave

darryl
04-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Left hand threads usually used to ensure the nut stays on rather than loosening- depends on the direction of rotation of the arbor. My table saw with the arbor to the left has a normal thread. The ones at work with the arbor to the right, the threads are left hand. Chop saw- left hand. Skil type saw- right hand.

This is pretty basic, so maybe there's more to the question than that-

Lew Hartswick
04-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Hole saw arbor? Or milling cutter arbor??

Dave ?? I never saw a "hole" saw that could be turned over. All I've ever seen
are like a cup with a hole in the center of the bottom.
...lew...

jkilroy
04-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Sounds like you are talking about a regular milling arbor, like those used commonly on horizontal mills? I've never seen a hole saw arbor with a spacer, or one that you could change cutting direction.

The left hand nut is to make sure the 'stack' of spacers,cutter(s) and/or running bushings don't get loose. I fall into the "I use keys" club, I use a key, usually under my cutter and running bushing at least, most of the spacers are held just by the compression force of the nut.