PDA

View Full Version : 9" SB head stock spindle needed

melvin1218
04-16-2011, 10:53 PM
i have a 9" SB lathe SN #46139A cat#480A 4' bed. the headstock spindle needs replaced. the lathe bed is wider than the newer machines. i would like any info on year and where i could find this shaft. any info would be great. thanks ken

Forrest Addy
04-16-2011, 11:14 PM
How about here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/South-Bend-9-Lathe-Headstock-Spindle-Shaft-Super-Nice-/360357464252?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e6fa88bc

Evan
04-17-2011, 12:19 AM
That looks about as good as you will find. There certainly isn't any new old stock kicking around. The main question is the spindle bore. If the spindle is shot the cast iron bore is probably worse. That means line boring it and relining it with bronze bushings and probably changing the oil system to overhead cups.

Evan
04-17-2011, 12:34 AM
On further examination, based on the serial number it is likely that what you have is a South Bend Junior model A made around 1929 or 1930. The above spindle may not fit. You need to measure it precisely and contact the seller to find out if the dimensions are the same.

This is the 9" Junior from that time period. Is this your Lathe?

http://ixian.ca/pics8/sb_junior2.jpg

melvin1218
04-17-2011, 09:37 AM
On further examination, based on the serial number it is likely that what you have is a South Bend Junior model A made around 1929 or 1930. The above spindle may not fit. You need to measure it precisely and contact the seller to find out if the dimensions are the same.

This is the 9" Junior from that time period. Is this your Lathe?

http://ixian.ca/pics8/sb_junior2.jpg
it looks rite but how can i be sure. the neibor kid was working on a project yesterday and got into the spindle and shortend it. i should have checked it sooner but didnt.

Evan
04-17-2011, 11:40 AM
My first piece of advice is to not let the neighbour kid use the lathe. I did some more checking and the spindle for the later South Bend 9 inch lathes will not fit since the tumble reverse gears are of a different pitch. It will be very difficult to find a spindle to replace yours. The only other option is to have one made.

That is a very collectible lathe and in good condition would be worth a lot of money. In 1929 it sold for $190 which adjusted for inflation is nearly $3000 today.

murph64
04-17-2011, 01:00 PM
A great source for old SB stuff is Ted Pflugner - latheman1 at att dot net

Also check out www.plazamachinery.com (http://www.plazamachinery.com), the last time I checked his PDF, I think I remember seeing a spindle or two. Joe gets to things when he gets to them, so don't expect a response from him in an hour :)

Andy

Orrin
04-17-2011, 11:35 PM
i have a 9" SB lathe SN #46139A cat#480A 4' bed. the headstock spindle needs replaced. the lathe bed is wider than the newer machines. i would like any info on year and where i could find this shaft. any info would be great. thanks ken

Ken, I think Evan is right about the age. I have one of those wide-bed 9" SBs from the '30s. Nothing, or almost nothing, is interchangeable between it and the later SBs.

Mine needs a new spindle, too. I figure the only way I'll get one is to make it. If you go that route you'll need to use stressproof material.

Orrin

jkilroy
04-17-2011, 11:49 PM
Ok, pics of the 'broken' spindle are needed. Outside of melting it there is a real good chance the folks around here can come up with a fix. Show us a pic of the machine with spindle in it and lets go from there.

Shortened it how? Can it be sleeved, welded, added to in some way to make it work again? Otherwise the hunt for the part, of even buying an entire machine to get the part, could take a long time.

J Tiers
04-17-2011, 11:53 PM
The "good news" if there is any, would be that unless the spindle is seized or frozen in the bearings, it is still part of a "lathe", which is a device well-adapted to making 'spindles", and probably can be used to fix itself

melvin1218
04-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Ok, pics of the 'broken' spindle are needed. Outside of melting it there is a real good chance the folks around here can come up with a fix. Show us a pic of the machine with spindle in it and lets go from there.

Shortened it how? Can it be sleeved, welded, added to in some way to make it work again? Otherwise the hunt for the part, of even buying an entire machine to get the part, could take a long time.

I have pictures but have no idea how to get them loaded, can someone PLEASE HELP!!! thanks, ken's wife

lynnl
04-25-2011, 02:15 PM
On Evan's picture (post #4) what is that crankshaft looking apparatus shown underneath between the legs? ...is that some sort of tracing device?

topct
04-25-2011, 04:58 PM
On Evan's picture (post #4) what is that crankshaft looking apparatus shown underneath between the legs? ...is that some sort of tracing device?

That's the back drive for the spindle. Driven by an overhead shaft. The two plain pulleys would have been driven by two different diameter pulleys on the line shaft and the clutches would let you engage them for the speed you wanted.

melvin1218
04-25-2011, 10:36 PM
I have pictures but have no idea how to get them loaded, can someone PLEASE HELP!!! thanks, ken's wife

jkilroy could you email at my home e-mail heilman1218@neo.rr.com so I can attach the photos you are requesting.
Thanks, Melody

melvin1218
04-26-2011, 11:12 PM

James could you email at my home e-mail heilman1218@neo.rr.com so I can attach the photos you are requesting.
Thanks, Melody