PDA

View Full Version : Myford Super 7 MSRP

EddyCurr
04-18-2011, 11:57 AM
I notice on Myford's website (http://www.myford.com/s7p-prices-options.html) that the MSRP for a new Super 7 Plus with the
30-3/4" long bed and quick change gear box (p/n 10/041) is 7,380 ex VAT.
(At current exchange rates, this is $US 12,040 FOB the Myford factory.)

Is the statement "dealers may sell for less" implicit here, or is this the price
that new Super 7's actually trade hands for in the UK?

Circlip
04-18-2011, 01:33 PM
They sell for twice that amount if you can get it.

Don't forget, it's a MYFORD :rolleyes:

Regards Ian.

MrSleepy
04-18-2011, 01:46 PM
When I was apprentice Instrument mechanic at CibaGeigys in the 80s we had a main workshop with a fairly newish condition colchester and a brand new condition 1609 DSG...
The instrument repair block had a myford super 7..which was as new.

I was rarely allowed to use the DSG..could use the Colchester when ever I wanted so long as it was free.. and the myford was for our use only.
I hated the super 7..after using the other two...

If someone stole my Emco maximat v13 and left me a brand new super7..I would hunt them down..mercilessly...

Rob

Circlip
04-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Yar but NEW Engrish has to be better than OLD Austrian? :D (V10 owner)

Regards Ian.

plunger
04-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Rob how can you compare an enco to a myford?

Just kidding This is what I always get asked when I tell people I have an emco v13

MrSleepy
04-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Rob how can you compare an enco to a myford?

Well.. for a split second you got me..lol...till my eye caught the lower line..

I've had that comment quite a few times..on here and elsewhere..

Rob

EddyCurr
04-18-2011, 06:26 PM
I was rarely allowed to use the DSG..could use the Colchester when
ever I wanted so long as it was free.. and the myford was for our use only.
I hated the super 7..after using the other two...The DSG and Colchester were both 10 x 31" machines like the Myford ?
Or were you making an apples-to-persimmons comparison ?

Here's why I am interested in valuations.

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/110412/456r9/01283lf_20.jpeg

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/110412/457r6/7528dge_20.jpeg

EddyCurr
04-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Don't forget, it's a MYFORDWell, that may be what the aficionada claim, but the factory pens their logo
in Upper/lower case.

Like so

http://www.myford.com/s7p-specification_files/myfordlogo.jpg

Arthur.Marks
04-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Answer to original question is, "Yes"; although, there are some promotions. There is one they currently offer where they take 1,000 pounds off the price if you visit them at a trade show. I recently asked about a new Myford on another list. A British member responded,

"Note that if you get a new Myford, they will often 'cut a deal' with discount, which varies between say 7% , or say 800 discount/accessories, etc etc... it varies.
The deal now shown on their home page is 1000 off if you attend the show... though you can get a discount without attending.
They also have discounts around the beginning of the year, and also maybe near the 'Harrogate Show'
They often have 'we pay the VAT' or around a 15% of accessories for items ordered at the show."

EddyCurr
04-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Answer to original question is, "Yes"; although, there are some promotions.Thank you for the thorough and helpful answer.

The machine pictured above appears to be available for the equivalent of
1,275, all in.

Even ignoring the pricy optional items like the milling attachment & ect, this
seems like a good value for what looks like a very tidy machine.

John Stevenson
04-18-2011, 07:25 PM
That's about the correct price, I was going to post and say 1200 but you beat me to it.

If Myfords had that same lathe in their showroom they would want 3,000 for it and get it.
The name is powerful enough for some punters to ignore bargains elsewhere.

Two for sale here.

http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/index.php?option=com_adsmanager&Itemid=15&view=search&text_search=myford+super

EddyCurr
04-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Thank you, Mr Stevenson.

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/110412/457r6/7528dge_20.jpeg

Is there a taper attachment between the motor and the crossslide in
the picture above ?

John Stevenson
04-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Yes I just spotted that, be interesting to see what's in the boxes underneath as part of the TT attachment is missing, the link but even so it's an easy part to make.

So long bed, TT, vertical slide, the tilting one to boot, plus gearbox makes this a god deal at the advertised price.

Also forgot the power cross feed and the QCTP.

EddyCurr
04-18-2011, 07:58 PM
... as part of the TT attachment is missing, the link ...I expect that it is just tucked out of the way while not in use.

What is your opinion about the dull appearance of the ways ?

The Artful Bodger
04-18-2011, 10:14 PM
I inherited a paint can full of rusty Whitford nuts and bolts. Can I offer them on-line as Myford spares?:D

John Stevenson
04-19-2011, 03:05 AM
I expect that it is just tucked out of the way while not in use.

What is your opinion about the dull appearance of the ways ?

They look fine to me, they were never really shiny just a ground finish, never scraped on the bed ways

MrSleepy
04-19-2011, 04:44 AM
Or were you making an apples-to-persimmons comparison ?

Yes..and a totally unfair comparison at best..

But when you get used a larger machine..going to a small S7 is not a nice experience...for me anyway..
I've seen some amazing work done on S7s...but I'll never own one.

Theres still plenty of Emco v10s,v11s out there to fill that requirement.

Rob

plunger
04-19-2011, 05:08 AM
I agree that it is hard to use a small machine after using a larger machine. I have never seen a myford but was alsways under the impression it was in a different class especially for hobbiests . The emco 8 was also sopposed to be a good lathe . I have an emco compact 8 on the emco cabinet with 3 4 jaw and milling attachment and collet set but cant sell it because people in my country are ignorant as to what it is worth. I also never use it because its stands in the shadow of my v13 and you wont want to ride on a vespa if you can ride on a harley

jugs
04-19-2011, 05:43 AM
Myford & Bridgeport (& I have both) are in the same class of machines, you only use them if the other machines are busy, but not out of choice :(

john
:)

EVguru
04-19-2011, 07:19 AM
If you should be interested in a new smallish lathe (but of better quality than the usual Indian, Chinese, etc. offerings), how about a Ceriani.

I had a good look around one at the Allly Pally show and it seemed very nice for about half the Myford price.

http://www.ceriani-mu.com/uk/start_uk.htm

I'll not be breaking out my wallet, I'm happy with my Harrison L5 (although I occasionally wish it was an L5A or L6) and I also have a Denford Orac CNC to play with.

Mcgyver
04-19-2011, 09:09 AM
I agree that it is hard to use a small machine after using a larger machine.

I would say that depends on the size of the workpiece. I have bigger stuff but my little unimat still gets used occasionally for very small items.

Is there good value there? I had a myford super 7 for a awhile (third lathe at the time) they are first class quality imo and probably have gone down in price over the years if you index say as a percentage of a new car cost or such. Considering that new price as a percentage of a car, it probably is historically cheap and what a well made lathe fropm the first world costs. It's not for me as i wanted heavier duty stuff (and ran out of room) however I can see why someone would go that route; working with quality machines is so much nicer, new with no wear or dings would be awesome and the cost difference over the decades a man might use it doesn't matter much....and in the end when he or the estate sells it it may well sell for what was paid for it - resulting total cost of ownership of zero :)