PDA

View Full Version : hole saw extension

Black Forest
04-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Today the wife asked me if I could put a water faucet on the outside of a part of the house where we made a new flower bed.

No problem except I didn't have a drill 30mm in diameter and long enough to go through the wooden wall. I did have a hole saw 30mm in diameter but way to short. So off to the shop to make an extension.

Started off with some 40mm steel rod. Turned it down to 26mm. Then drilled a hole 12.5 mm in the end on the lathe for the hex shaped shank of the hole saw. Flipped it end for end in the lathe chuck and turned down the end to go in my drill chuck. Took it to the horizontal mill that was set up with the indexing table. Drilled the 5mm holes on the sides to be tapped for 6mm for set screws to hold the hole saw in place. Flipped it end for end and milled three flats on the shaft for the drill chuck to hang on to.

All totalled 35 minutes to make the extension. Took it outside and drilled the hole with it. No problem and I felt great. The wife was impressed and happy to have her water in a convienent place.

For me it was a great feeling to make it quick and with no problems. And it actually worked!

I know for you all it is no big deal but for me it was a great day!
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/holesaw2.jpg
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/holesaw.jpg
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/holesaw3.jpg

recoilless
04-18-2011, 12:50 PM
;) Well, the only thing I can see you did wrong was spend 35 minutes on it. I would have stretched it out to an hour and a half. Figure dropping something in the shop and have it roll out of sight into the "vortex"...

Other than that, fine work.:)

CCWKen
04-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Well done! I'll bet that convinced the wife that having $20,000 worth of tools on standby pays off. :D

Over on this side of the pond, those hole saw arbors are 3/8" hex. How did you handle that? I see a couple of set screws. Did you just drill a hole and use those?

Ops! Never mind. The picture makes it clear.

steverice
04-18-2011, 02:15 PM
I too would have taken much longer to design and develop such a useful tool, I would have had to figured in at least 3 to 4 redesigns before even considering the first prototype.

Boostinjdm
04-18-2011, 11:08 PM
I've made my own arbor before. Threaded to 5/8" fine and drilled the center for a 1/4" pilot bit. That seems a little easier to me than your setup. Maybe I'm missing something?

Black Forest
04-19-2011, 01:47 AM
It would have been much quicker to just make a bushing and use a rod of whatever length I would need. BUT then how would I justify having such a big lathe? The absolute pleasure of taking lots of material off in one pass can not be discounted.

Also the complexity of a bushing would not have impressed the wife. My feeble attempt to put the radius on and the turning down of different areas to different diameters impressed the wife much more than a bushing.

Never pass up an opportunity to grease the wheels of shop time!

Boostinjdm
04-19-2011, 02:06 AM
I hope your grease works better than mine.:D

Black Forest
04-19-2011, 04:11 AM
I built this stone wall garden last year. I let the wife carry water cans for a couple of months last year and then again this spring for a few weeks. Then I suggest to put a water faucet by the garden. If I had done it immediately upon completion of the garden she would not have appreciated it as much. I must be a lawyer at heart. They do the same. Create problems so they can be paid to fix the problem.

Yesterday afternoon when she watered her flowers and only had to walk two meters to get the water she really was happy. And my shop made that all possible. The grease must be applied at the correct time.

yul m6
04-19-2011, 04:45 AM
You had the perfect excuse to buy a rotary broach for that hex hole, such opportunities are very rare :D

Black Forest
04-19-2011, 05:29 AM
I used a little grease. I am thinking a rotary broach would require "magic dust"

She is blond but she is not stupid. I don't think I would have got that logic past her. She would just call a plummer to put in a faucet.