PDA

View Full Version : o/t company in the workshop

oil mac
04-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Hi guys,
today was not a very good day, in fact a fairly miserable day, I lost my workshop companion, it will be a bit lonely in the shop now in fact even worse, he was my supervisor, He was not a human, only an old cat, But he was a nice wee guy I had him around me for sixteen years at least, so that was not a bad life span, Although the last few months he went downhill, and the vet said, today, it was better to end his suffering

One thing about him being a shop companion, was the fact i could talk away to him, and it was another being in the place, and something homely in the corner

sometimes i think that members of the animal kingdom could teach the human species a lot if our kind was not as big headed as we are.

some of these humans i have come across, one would not want as shop companions, One came in to my shop some years back, and i was showing him with some pride a workpiece i had spent some considerable time on working to really tight tolerances, and for my effort, i got a haughty retort " Iwould not waste my time making something like that" Then he stumped out never to return-- Strange behavior
this was after over a period of some years helping the said person out with free gifts of tools etc, However everyone doesnt behave like that 99% of the shop visitors i get are really nice guys

However everything in balance It would be a real trauma, if my loss was human (such as the loss felt by the parents of the young student) Certainly i feel grief bad enough losing my buddy the cat

EddyCurr
04-18-2011, 12:54 PM
My condolences for your loss.

I like animals and there is a pet in the household now, but I only really
ever connected with one special critter.

justanengineer
04-18-2011, 12:58 PM
My condolences on the loss of your animal friend. I too think that animals have much better manners than many people do. This is the reason that unless I know someone well enough to predict their behavior fairly decently, they dont get into the shop. Not that its much consolation, but I think you should feel lucky and thankful for the happy memories. I have always wanted, but have never been able to get a shop pet of any species to behave well enough for me to trust them there.

Dennis WA
04-18-2011, 01:21 PM
My condolences - the loss of an animal that was a companion is always a sad event. Whilst they are spared further suffering, you miss their quiet presence, particularly as they get older and know their place and your routine.

A.K. Boomer
04-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Sorry to hear it Oil Mac - critters are the best friends going and I have one getting up in age and having some troubles.:(

Arcane
04-18-2011, 01:38 PM
You have my sincere condolences also.

John Stevenson
04-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Sorry about the moggie Mac.

What are you doing with it's bowl ?

Boucher
04-18-2011, 02:35 PM
Get another one. It will not replace the one you lost. Cats are mostly very independant and it can be a while before he becomes the shop surpervisor. It will help to take your mind off your loss.

TGTool
04-18-2011, 02:55 PM
My condolences too on the loss of your companion. Wishing you well with the time it takes for adjustment and grieving.

I've got three who come into the shop from time to time to check up on progress and just spend a little time. Several years ago I'd left the shop door open for several days and a feral mother had brought three kittens in and entrusted them to my care. Hers was a hard life but she wanted better circumstances for her offspring and I've tried to honor her effort. CalliePurr was just in this morning

Alistair Hosie
04-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Sorry to hear about your cat Dan my friend best wishes and hope you are not too downhearted will phone you through the week am very tired tonight kindest regards to you pal and Margaret Alistair

Black_Moons
04-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Sorry to hear. Sounds like the cat had a good long life however.

I allways worryed about my cat when I had a cat and a shop. Never let her in there.. She'd likey start playing with the swaff and maybe eat some of it. Or jump on my lathe and leave rusty footprints.. :P

38_Cal
04-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Too bad about your shop cat, lots of good memories, I'm sure. Ours is a house cat only...we're right next to the highway, and don't need him flattened into a sail-cat. White with reddish ears, tail and feet, so we called him Rusty, since he did around the edges. About 19 y.o., deaf as a post, but otherwise fairly healthy. It'll be a bummer when he goes...

David

Liger Zero
04-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Get an older cat from the shelter/pet recycling center.

Younger cats will want to play dangle-string with power-cords and long sharp chips... they are very curious critters!

Older cats are as well but they have a bit more restraint when it comes to playing with the dangles.

Just my experience. Two house-cats and a business-cat that lives in the warehouse section. :)

Jim Doherty
04-18-2011, 04:55 PM
I'm sorry to hear of your loss, I know it's tough right now but just remember that there will be another kitty who needs a shop job. Don't let your grief prevent you from having another buddy or two. My thoughts are with you
Take care.

Jim Doherty

Liger Zero
04-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Oh... and it is not silly at all to grieve over the loss of a pet.

I had a rather large plecostomus that was a constant occupant of my primary fishtank for a very very long time. I actually shed tears when he was done and it still upsets me a bit to think about it.

I buried him out back next to some tree roots. Recycling dontcha know. ;)

Give me **** about it if you must. :p

bborr01
04-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Mac,

Sorry to hear about your cat. After that many years, you get pretty attached to the little critters.

My wife and I have two cats now, devon rex's. My wife showed me a picture of a devon that was something like 37 years old.:eek:

Just how attached can you get?

We are re-writing our estate plan and putting a pet trust in it in case the cats out live us. (we are mid 50's, but it never hurts to plan ahead)

Brian

Oldbrock
04-18-2011, 06:53 PM
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj232/brockley1_bucket/catonahottubroof2.jpg My 19 year old Omah died last week, just went to sleep and didn't wake up. We are sure going to miss him. Peter

Arcane
04-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Peter, I'm sorry to hear of your Omah's passing, but at least you had the not so trivial blessing of him going peacefully in his sleep. My GSD Mickey is coming up on 10 years old this June 10 and he has aged considerable these past few winter months, hips and arthritis, eh. I dread the coming of his final days and the prospect of having to have him put down. :(

wierdscience
04-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Time to hire on a replacement,I would suggest a Manx,no long tail to get caught in the change wheels.

sasquatch
04-18-2011, 07:38 PM
Sorry about your,e shop mate Mac,,,pets become just as one of the family.
Three years ago my little border terrier got grabbed 50ft from my door by a wolf, carried him away never did find a sign of him or his collar even.

PixMan
04-18-2011, 07:42 PM
Sorry to hear of your losses, guys. Me, I hate cats. At least that's the "company line" I've been using for years. ;) We have....er, I mean....my wife has 3 of them. The oldest is one given to my now-27 year old daughter for her 9th birthday. Rascal is in perfect health, other than some teeth starting to go bad.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/kenm10759/Misc/rascal.jpg

The next one is a 3 or 4 year old rescue kitty, black, and as fat as can be. She's 10Kg (22 pounds) now, and loves to have her fat belly massaged. (Helps improve circulation in the fat cells.)

Lastly is "Hissy", a little black fuzzball that showed up in an industrial park where I was working a part-time job a night for 1/2 of last year. I was out for a cigar break (one of my last, btw) and this cat was sneaking around in the shadows. Very vocal, and skinny as a rail. She had a collar, but there isn't a house within a half-mile of this place. She was clearly lost, or more likely...dumped. She wouldn't get within 15 feet of me, but followed. I told my co-worker about it, he had his daughter drive over with some dry cat food. We filled a HEAPING plate and put it out. After a 1/2 hour of trepidation, hunger overtook caution and she approached the plate. She down the entire plateful, probably half her body weight, in 15 minutes.

She was there all day the next, so when I got in at 5, I called my wife to come rescue her from the industrial park. The cat was getting closer to the hand(s) that fed her by now, so I scooped her into the cat carrier. An ad in the local newspaper and on Craigslist both went unanswered. She's ours now that we paid for parasite infestation treatments, vaccinations and spaying.

There's some new companions out there looking for you guys right now. I hope they find you as ours found us.

But I hate cats. :cool:

Black_Moons
04-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Just how attached can you get?

We are re-writing our estate plan and putting a pet trust in it in case the cats out live us. (we are mid 50's, but it never hurts to plan ahead)

Brian

"To my cat, I leave the house, the cars (He loved sleeping on the hood), And all my remaining money in a trust fund. To my son, I leave my cats litter box, To be cleaned twice a week, For $20/week out of the cats trust fund."

bborr01
04-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Sorry to hear of your losses, guys. Me, I hate cats. At least that's the "company line" I've been using for years. ;) We have....er, I mean....my wife has 3 of them. The oldest is one given to my now-27 year old daughter for her 9th birthday. Rascal is in perfect health, other than some teeth starting to go bad.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/kenm10759/Misc/rascal.jpg

The next one is a 3 or 4 year old rescue kitty, black, and as fat as can be. She's 10Kg (22 pounds) now, and loves to have her fat belly massaged. (Helps improve circulation in the fat cells.)

Lastly is "Hissy", a little black fuzzball that showed up in an industrial park where I was working a part-time job a night for 1/2 of last year. I was out for a cigar break (one of my last, btw) and this cat was sneaking around in the shadows. Very vocal, and skinny as a rail. She had a collar, but there isn't a house within a half-mile of this place. She was clearly lost, or more likely...dumped. She wouldn't get within 15 feet of me, but followed. I told my co-worker about it, he had his daughter drive over with some dry cat food. We filled a HEAPING plate and put it out. After a 1/2 hour of trepidation, hunger overtook caution and she approached the plate. She down the entire plateful, probably half her body weight, in 15 minutes.

She was there all day the next, so when I got in at 5, I called my wife to come rescue her from the industrial park. The cat was getting closer to the hand(s) that fed her by now, so I scooped her into the cat carrier. An ad in the local newspaper and on Craigslist both went unanswered. She's ours now that we paid for parasite infestation treatments, vaccinations and spaying.

There's some new companions out there looking for you guys right now. I hope they find you as ours found us.

But I hate cats. :cool:

Pixman,

They make cat toothpaste that cats like to eat. Enzymes do the work of a toothbrush. Vet told us bad teeth in cats can lead to liver and kidney problems, to name a few.

Brian

IdahoJim
04-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Really sorry to hear you lost your pal. I'm a cat AND dog guy, and losing one of them is always hard. Best of luck in your search for a new buddy.
Jim

Dan Dubeau
04-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Sorry to hear. I used to be a dog guy, but we picked up 2 cats from a litter of 6 2 years ago (Johnny, and June). My best buddies. I'm outside on the porch havin' a pint right now waiting for one to get home). The one I'm waiting on Is my outside buddy. She follows me everywhere through the woods (until I fire up the chainsaw). She's more of a dog than a cat (she loves playing fetch). I just need to teach her to flush rabbits and she'd be perfect. The other one is more of a nancy boy. Big fat tabby, only likes to go outside to do his business and catch the odd mouse/bird, bring it back and eat it on the porch.

Out here we're more likely to lose them to coyotes than to old age, and I know the day will come one day when they don't come home. But for now it's nice company, and I do my best to keep the coyote population down ;). They got one of "my" fawns a couple weeks ago the bastards.

I've also got 2 barns cats that came with the house. If you're looking for another shop buddy you're more than welcome to one (or both) of those. Had all their shots, fixed and friendly, but they just don't get along with our cats (they were here first I guess :rolleyes: )

David Powell
04-18-2011, 10:02 PM
Firstly, my condolences to those who have recently lost their companions. I have 2, a tiny cat we rescued 16 yrs ago, who never grew beyond kittensize. She is the defective apprentice, all she does is walk around my feet until I give up, turn the machine off, carry her upstairs and feed her a treat, then I return to work and 15 minutes later she returns,and we repeat the performance. The inspector is a large ginger fellow, rescued the day before he was due to be put down. he sits in the doorway for hours just watching me. When I leave he jumps on the bench and inspects my work, leaving his stamp of approval( very fine ginger hair and the odd whisker) on the pieces tested!! They cheer up even a rotten day in the shop, and they make a good one a pleasure.Regards David Powell.

fredf
04-19-2011, 12:07 AM
sometimes i think that members of the animal kingdom could teach the human species a lot if our kind was not as big headed as we are.

Very sorry to hear of your loss, it hurts when they go, but they are so necessary for our well being. As soon as you are able, start looking for another, That has always helped us. We still miss the lost, but the joy of a new arrival helps.

fred

oil mac
04-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Hi Guys,
I really appreciate the kind thoughts from you folks, The experiences of all my other colleagues on the forum, has helped me greatly, the loss of your pets also, was to you all, equally very stressful, I/we (wife also) are still feeling very raw, As she said "As well as the wee guy being your buddy, he doted on you , and was always there to meet you when you returned from being out"

The neighbours in the adjacent houses will certainly miss both of us going along the street , a few house lengths, They then realised it was our "time out period" and time when they would trundle out various items for repair to foist on us I will miss him also joining in the television watching time, & begging from my dinner plate, & sleeping on top of my knee

Again,very many thanks guys for the kind thoughts at this time

Dan.

Alistair Hosie
04-19-2011, 04:21 PM
Dan, Bron told me you were not at home today anyway I got home from Alistairs ( MY son) late so will phone or you telephone me tomorrow onwards sorry about your lovely Cat again God bless you and margaret are good friends of ours. kindest regards Alistair

The Artful Bodger
04-19-2011, 04:30 PM
I was brought up on a farm with a lot of working dogs and we have since had cats and dogs in our lives, they are all remembered and sadly missed.

Now I have developed alergies to them so no more animals in the house, now there is a little red cat lives next door I have been trying to entice into my workshop, time will well, but it would be nice to have a visitor at times!:)

derekm
04-19-2011, 05:03 PM
To feel grief and remorse as though the loss of a child is perfectly normal and natural.
The neotenous response behaviour we ellicit in cats(from tabbies to tigers) is matched by our parental response behaviour they stimulate in us. This response of ours has its benefits but alas a price to pay at the end.

We seem to create a similar response in dolphins, which are normally vicious predators but they must think we are cute enough to rescue if we are in difficulty in the water.