PDA

View Full Version : Okuma..Buy or avoid

MrSleepy
04-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Hi there..

I have a Harrison L5 which has served me well since 1984..but I'm looking at a few lathes as a replacement..

I've noticed this Okuma for sale..
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac180/MrSleepy123/okuma.jpg

The details are
Model : LP Swing : 350mm (14") Distance between : 650mm (26") Spindle Speeds : Variable : 50 - 3000 RPM

I've vaguely heard of Okuma..it certainly looks heavily built..(like a Russian lathe)..
Is it worth following up on..

Rob

Rich Carlstedt
04-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Magnificent Japanese Lathe.

Just look at how long the headstock and carriages are !
On par with a Monarch or American Pacemaker
Rich

Forrest Addy
04-19-2011, 03:50 PM
Depends on condition. Even the best lathe in the world is worn out when its worn out/

The Okuma is an excellent lathe. Few are better. If the lathe you're looking at is in "gently used" condition and you can afford it snap it up.

RussZHC
04-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Personally, if the specific machine is in a condition you can live with as it sits (complete would be first on my list, then condition etc.), I would not hesitate.

Most of what I found about Okuma is CNC but there was one thread with a machine that looks similar to your post here:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/machinery-sale-wanted/fs-okuma-lk-p-213316/

and that owner seems to think its a Monarch 10EE on steroids AND one reply says he would sell the Monarch and keep the Okuma...so to me that says quite a lot!

Okuma is still around, European HQ appears to be in Germany but have no clue how much support there would be even in finding out information.
The only "common" point of discussion on Okuma in general (given its mostly all CNC) is that manuals are hard to find used with huge differences in price from $1000 to $70 on EBay...to me, assuming it is a manual machine, that is not so much of an issue.

RussZHC
04-19-2011, 04:10 PM
P.S. the only other little tidbit I found was the drive systems can be quite complex

Dr Stan
04-19-2011, 06:21 PM
I have run some Okuma equipment and found it to be well designed and built. If its in good condition and within budget I'd certainly consider buying the machine.

sasquatch
04-19-2011, 06:27 PM
Great looking Chunk of a Lathe!!

becksmachine
04-19-2011, 07:56 PM
The Okuma probably has the feed reverse on the headstock instead of on the apron which is a feature I always disliked.

Dave