X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fasttrack
    • Jul 2005

Buying a Welder - Macona?

I realize there is a welding sub-forum but I wanted a larger audience, so I posted it here.

Now ... I'm looking for a TIG/stick welder with AC/DC capabilities. I'm partial to the red ones (fought a Millermatic 250 for several years and hated it. Have a 350 now and it seems like a good machine for a MIG welder). I will also consider the blue ones if they are a better value/product. I've got about $2500 to spend and will consider buying used. I've seen a lot of decent looking syncrowave welders listed local. Are they any good? I've been eyeballing this unit: http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...roduct=K2535-1

Any thoughts, opinions, etc are welcome. Unfortunately, I read a post by Macona about his Dynasty welder. Now all the welders in my price range look like junk
    Last edited by Fasttrack; 04-20-2011, 06:29 PM.
  • rollin45
    • Dec 2003

I like the blue ones for wire, and the red ones for stick/tig. Just my opinion.

rollin'

Comment

• rohart
      • Aug 2002

In your price range, junk ? My immediate thoughts were $2500 leaves me out. I only know about cheap AC Tigs. Mine was £900 ish.

What I didn't get was variable frequency AC. Not variable pulse freq, variable AC freq. But I think you get it if you're up in your price range. Some on the forum said I didn't need it, but there you go.

Leave some spending for getting the right torch, like light enough, and poss water cooled.
      Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

• MichaelP
        • Sep 2008

Thermal Dynamics inverters are quite decent and not overly expensive. Unless you want a transformer-based unit, of course (they are very reliable, but heavy and power hungry).

What power range do you need your machine to be? Will a 200 Amp one be enough for your purposes or you must have a more powerful machine? Also, I assume you're wired for 230V, don't you?
        Mike
        WI/IL border, USA

Comment

• macona
          • Aug 2006

I would get a synchrowave 200 or a used Synchrowave 250DX. The 250DX will put out up to 305 amps. The older synchrowave 250s are good to but I would got the newer version if I could.

Comment

• Zahnrad Kopf
            • Apr 2010

The newer Synchros are kind of amazing. Digital and pulse are wonders if you've been doing it long enough to remember when that all sounded Buck Rogers... I've got a new Synchro 350 at the day job and it makes some of the harder jobs a lot easier. Still, welding's welding and there's something to be said for the simpler machines, too. I've got a personal machine that you can't pry from my grip. An early 80's Hobart with a copper wound transformer. No bells or whistles. Amp range, polarity, and hi freq on or off with a set of points to adjust. I can dim the lights of the SouthSide when I give'r... I don't care what anyone says, there's something about those old copper wound machines that really gives'm hell when you pour on the coals. If you're not in rush, you'll find something nice in your range but remember that you're gonna drop some coin on accessories and consumables, too.

Comment

• MichaelP
              • Sep 2008

Syncrowave 250DX is, indeed, a wonderful machine and pleasure to use. If portability is not what you need, this will be an excellent choice.
              Mike
              WI/IL border, USA

Comment

• BigMike782
                • Dec 2008

I liked my Squarewave 175 until I got my Syncrowave 250.......MAN what a difference,like going from a Pinto to a Porsche and I am sure a Dynasty would be like a top fuel dragster.
                For 2500 I would look for a pre DX SW250.A tech I talk to likes the pre DX models because of the simplicity.

Comment

• BillDaCatt
                  • Mar 2007

I went through this very dilemma about five years ago. I settled upon the Thermal Arc Arcmaster 185. http://www.thermadyne.com/products/d...dID=10-3073A-2

It has all the features an advanced welder might need and relatively simple controls. It's also a little cheaper than the Miller Dynasty. (about $400 dollars cheaper in most cases) I was concerned that the Arcmaster 185 would be underpowered when compared to the Dynasty and it is but I never weld at full power on steel an I almost never weld aluminum so power has never been an issue. In fact, in terms of stick welding it's rare to go over 120 Amps so it would be very difficult to hit its duty cycle welding steel unless you were doing some serious welding. Last year I burned through a 5 lb box of 1/8" rods in a couple of hours and tripped the thermal overload after about 30 minutes of almost continuous welding. That was the first time I reached that limit and I needed a break anyway so I didn't mind at all. The second and, so far, final time I reached that limit was about an hour later just before I emptied that box of rods. (again, I needed a break anyway.)

As welders go, I am very pleased. It welds very smoothly and the arc easily compares to welders that cost twice as much and run on three phase power. (the 185 only requires 240V @ 20 Amps - single phase) In fact, I bought this welder with the idea that I would mostly use it for tig welding, but the arc is so nice I find it is almost more fun to stick weld with it. It is really easy to start a rod when you have momentary High Freq or Lift-arc turned on. As I said before, I rarely weld aluminum and I have never done so on my machine so I don't have an opinion on that but many of the guys who do say it does very nice on aluminum too. The Dynasty DX is a nice machine, but for your price range, I think The Arcmaster 185 is worth serious consideration. I'm very pleased with mine.

Comment

• rode2rouen
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Fasttrack

Now ... I'm looking for a TIG/stick welder with AC/DC capabilities...........
                    I've got about $2500 to spend and will consider buying used............
                    I've been eyeballing this unit: http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...roduct=K2535-1

This is a nice package for the $$:

5 - 315 amps
                    pulser built in
                    220V 1ph

I love my SW255!

Rex
                    Last edited by rode2rouen; 04-21-2011, 07:46 AM.

Comment

• brandonorsak
                      • Jan 2007

225 ready pak

I own the same "kit" and it works great. No complaints and use it frequently. Bought mine at weldingmart.com and it was alot cheaper and free freight. I use both red and blue but for my personal welder at home i chose the ready pak 225.....

Comment

I have 2 friends that are both full time welders. They say if you want a good welder buy MILLER brand.

We bought a new Lincoln wire welder at work. It will not weld. The wire keeps welding itself to the tip. The company replaced the whole cable with the handle and tip it still won't weld. The company replaced the whole machine and the new machine is not any different the wire still welds itself to the tip. Lincoln refused to give us a refund so for 10 years the brand new welder has been setting off in the corner with all the junk. We paid $2000 I bet they would sell it for $200 if anyone was interested.

Comment

Working...
                        X