PDA

View Full Version : OT: Sanctuary from Royal Wedding..

MrSleepy
04-22-2011, 08:07 AM
Every time I turn on the TV or open a newspaper its "Wedding this" , "Kate that", "Kate vs Diana", "Is Harry gonna come dressed as a nazi?"..

Couldn't care less about the royals..(If their sh1t comes out smelling of roses..then they may have a place..otherwise their no better than anyone else..just lucky).

So where is the best place to get away from this drivel.

I was born in Montreal..so should be able to get Canadian passport..

I could try digging for gold for a few months..is there any in Canada.

Rob

Rustybolt
04-22-2011, 08:17 AM
I'd much rather put up with the royals than the Obamas.
You want some company?
I got a couple of gold pans somewhere.

Duffy
04-22-2011, 08:20 AM
There is a saying that covers your situation quite well:- "Life is a b!tch and then you die!"

aboard_epsilon
04-22-2011, 08:33 AM
if japan hadn't of happened ..youd be suicidal by now ..

amazingly there hasn't been that much coverage of it all in the UK ..thats compared to previous royal weddings

all the best.markj

philbur
04-22-2011, 08:55 AM
Your workshop.

Phil:)

wierdscience
04-22-2011, 09:20 AM
Oh come on Mr Sleepy,aren't you the least bit intrigued as to what Sir John Earl of Sudspumpwater will be wearing to the wedding?Given his level of infamy.......cough!:) I mean fame he's sure to be on the guest list:D

We already know what our Pal Al will be wearing:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/wierdscience/unnamed.jpg

Iraiam
04-22-2011, 09:30 AM
I don't have a TV, for reason's just like this. I do buy a newspaper now and then, but I don't have a subscription because the biggest section in the paper is usually sports.

The wedding plans of an heir to a dead empire is not news.

Evan
04-22-2011, 09:57 AM
The queen still owns all public lands in Canada which is 95% of the country.

vpt
04-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Kinda makes a guy hope there is another disaster somewhere to get the stupid wedding out of the news.

We just went threw a big hype about Charlie Sheen. I can never understand why people care about what other people are doing so much. Its annoying!

Weston Bye
04-22-2011, 10:52 AM
I can never understand why people care about what other people are doing so much.

It's because they have so little of any significance going on in their own lives - no business of their own to mind.

Sad to say, there are more of them than there are of us, so that is what gets reported in the media. If nobody watched, it wouldn't be there. Unless...
... you subscribe to the media distracting us by telling us what to think about theory.

radkins
04-22-2011, 10:57 AM
I don't have a TV, for reason's just like this. I do buy a newspaper now and then, but I don't have a subscription because the biggest section in the paper is usually sports.

The wedding plans of an heir to a dead empire is not news.

Same here, I axed our TV service (with my wife's blessings), because it had become nothing but garbage! TV shows have become a way for the Hollywood libs to push their political agendas and with all the annoying computer generated trash superimposed on the screen over anything we were trying to watch, station logos and moving banners for upcoming programing, we just said to heck with it. :mad: I also agree that our local newspaper was more about sports than anything else, often covering local sports on the front page. We use the internet to scan news web sites and it is way better that way, just skip the bull$!@^ and get to what matters. Been gone over two years now and we honestly don't miss it a bit!:)

KIMFAB
04-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Lemme tell you a story about drivel.
Several years ago I was in the hospital for another back operation.
As I'm lying there unable to do much of anything except watch the hated TV Michael Jackson died.

It was Michael Jackson this and Michael Jackson that and now we are going to interview the man that cleaned his toilet.
Yes it was that bad and I was lucky enough to catch every cliff-hanging minute of it.

Several other worthwhile people died at the same time and got nothing while they all gather around the child molester.

jep24601
04-22-2011, 11:13 AM
I am an Englishman by origin, though always a regicidist, and a US citizen for the last 25 years, and the drivel in the US media over these idle parasites never ceases to amaze me considering that this is a republic with a constitutional aversion to such regal wastrels.

Rustybolt
04-22-2011, 11:23 AM
I am an Englishman by origin, though always a regicidist, and a US citizen for the last 25 years, and the drivel in the US media over these idle parasites never ceases to amaze me considering that this is a republic with a constitutional aversion to such regal wastrels.

Wierd, huh.

aboard_epsilon
04-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Same here, I axed our TV service (with my wife's blessings), because it had become nothing but garbage! TV shows have become a way for the Hollywood libs to push their political agendas and with all the annoying computer generated trash superimposed on the screen over anything we were trying to watch, station logos and moving banners for upcoming programing, we just said to heck with it. :mad: I also agree that our local newspaper was more about sports than anything else, often covering local sports on the front page. We use the internet to scan news web sites and it is way better that way, just skip the bull$!@^ and get to what matters. Been gone over two years now and we honestly don't miss it a bit!:)

You are right

You know, there are people subscribed to channels here ..paying more than £40 a month for channel packages..
for the privilege of ..

...endless repeats,
...banners going across the bottom
..logos
...adverts twice as long as the main stream channels
..adverts were you have to turn the sound down
.... more adverts for what's on other channels,
...adverts for what's coming up,and whats being shown in the future, three months before it is eventually shown.
...Massive push adverts telling you to pay extra for HD and how pleased you will be with the result...on your large screen TV that now that it's emphasizing the bad quality of non HD
... because definition/resolution of normal TV toned down to make HD look better.
....all showing stuff that was shown in the USA 6 months ago
..and in the wrong order.
....series that go on for ever, with 6 months breaks between each series.
...the subscribers are required/ ordered to have a phone cable plugged into their satellite box so they can monitor what you are watching...and so that you can pay for other stuff

Fxck Murdock ..he can keep his crap.

all the best.markj

A.K. Boomer
04-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Yup it's all upsetting - but the "royals" are extra upsetting, and i live in the US, can't imagine what it would be like over there - I think id be outright pissed.

scmw
04-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Fortunately I have enough work to do in my shop that the wedding of two people across the pond will have zero affect on whether or not I get parts done on a project that I'm working on.

What mindless drivel. The fact that so many Americans thrive on this simply amazes me. And to think that we won a war to separate ourselves from this tripe.

lynnl
04-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Well I think it's great! After all, we earthlings are all in it together.
And I wish all the best to William and Kate. Though I am a little put off at not receiving an invitation. I had my heart set on that.

Say, did you hear the latest about Lindsay Lohan? You won't believe this... :)

saltmine
04-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Damn! I thought this was all over with when Prince Chuckie and Diana got married...
Royals should not be allowed to breed. I know it's illegal in the US.

For a country that's supposed to be flat broke, they sure have a lot of ceremonial junk to drag out whenever somebody gets married....is this common? or just for the inbred, moronic royalty?

I just can't figure out how riding to and from a wedding in a crusty old ornate coach, dragged along by a couple of flea-bitten oat-burners is supposed to be an "event". I'd have thought twice about riding in a worn out old Rolls-Royce, before getting into an open coach (especially when you take into account the slightly damp weather in England...)

Yeah, I'm the guy who thought Obama should have ridden to the White House, when he was elected, in the back of a city bus.

As it turns out....I was right.

You can have my invitation, Lynnl...

danlb
04-22-2011, 01:46 PM
We have this great invention called "TiVo". It's like a VCR, but more convenient. It has MANY features that help in times like this.

1) It has dozens of 'how it's made' type shows stored and waiting for us to watch them.
2) It can pause AND fast forward the live TV feed.

We seldom watch anything in real time. When we do, it's usually 10 to 30 minutes delayed so we can skip over commercials and stories we don't care about.

Strangely, this forum was Royal Wedding free until the OP brought it up. So... Who's getting married? I've not paid it much attention. :)

Dan

madwilliamflint
04-22-2011, 01:54 PM
I'd much rather put up with the royals than the Obamas.
You want some company?
I got a couple of gold pans somewhere.

I'll bring the Whisky and a couple hundred cigars. (Sorry, ain't gots me no cubans.)

aboard_epsilon
04-22-2011, 02:13 PM
We have this great invention called "TiVo". It's like a VCR, but more convenient. It has MANY features that help in times like this.

1) It has dozens of 'how it's made' type shows stored and waiting for us to watch them.
2) It can pause AND fast forward the live TV feed.

We seldom watch anything in real time. When we do, it's usually 10 to 30 minutes delayed so we can skip over commercials and stories we don't care about.

Strangely, this forum was Royal Wedding free until the OP brought it up. So... Who's getting married? I've not paid it much attention. :)

Dan

Don't need tivo ..I have a button on the comp ..called "download this torrent "

the torrent will be guaranteed free of ads ..

all the best.markj

MrSleepy
04-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Theres one thing you missed Mark..

The way they list a program to start at say 5pm..but 5pm is where the previous program ends and the 3 minutes of adverts etc begins..
Its bloody frustrating setting the PVR to record something only to find out youve missed the program ending as they are running behind schedule anywaY.

I agree.. I do hate the way they ramp the volume in ad breaks...

Rob

lazlo
04-22-2011, 02:31 PM

It's not a US thing, per se - it's Capitalism. The corporate news media are, like any corporation, driven to maximize profits.

Reporting Scandal, war, or disaster, real or fabricated, maximizes profits.

Taking that into consideration, you have to apply a seriously skeptical view to any commercial media reporting.

Personally, I've found the BBC (a non-profit, government institution) to be the least biased, least sensational, and therefore most accurate of the common news broadcasts. YMMV...

Charles P
04-22-2011, 02:34 PM
I'm spending the "wedding day" in the workshop. I'll have the Ipod in the dock, full of useful stuff to listen to and will ignore the whole thing.

Charles

jugs
04-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Every time I turn on the TV or open a newspaper its "Wedding this" , "Kate that", "Kate vs Diana", "Is Harry gonna come dressed as a nazi?"..

Couldn't care less about the royals..(If their sh1t comes out smelling of roses..then they may have a place..otherwise their no better than anyone else..just lucky).

I was born in Montreal..so should be able to get Canadian passport..

I could try digging for gold for a few months..is there any in Canada.

Rob

Where you are, try Spurn point or Bull fort :D

john
:)

Black_Moons
04-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Havent noticed.. Don't have cable TV. Havent for years. Much better this way. Im ignorant of so many things that don't matter at all. just download TV shows if I really feel they are worth watching.. and honestly, havent heard of anything this year that was. SOOO much better watching things in seqence, on your time, as many eps at once as you wish (assuming you don't bother to download the latest ep every week.)

aboard_epsilon said it perfectly. Not to mention 1/3rd of TV is ads! (Check online, the typical 30 min show is only 22 mins)

Then they cut the intro and do splitscreen ads over the credits (that sometimes have extra scenes/audio in them), or cut the credits.

The local newspaper is worse. If you stack the flyers inside the newspaper next to the newspaper, the flyers are about 6x thicker.
Then you open the newspaper.. And only about 1/3rd of the first 10 pages have storys. And most of those have ads on the same page taking up half the page. Once you get past the first 10 pages you get into the 'cars' section... a thinly vailed attempt to deticate an entire section of the newspaper to car advertisements.

Then you get to classifyed ads. Joy!

By the time you are done, you have about 5 actual pages of news in a 400 page delivery bundle. There really should be some kinda ad/news ratio requirement. Free news papers don't care at all about if you read them or not, they just pump them in as many mailboxes as they can, call them 'subscription numbers' and use them to milk money outta advertisers by stuffing your mailbox full of crap.

But at least thats *free*! Cable TV you pay for. pay a lot for. So why the hell are they milking you for more money with excessive ads???
Free over the air TV should have excessive ads, 'Free cable' could have excessive ads. Pay cable should be ads free.

Alistair Hosie
04-22-2011, 04:23 PM
You all know my feelings about the damned royal parasites I would be rid of them all tomorrow.The most undemocratic set up in the world and we have to suffer and pay for their sorry arses.The sooner people realise that the just $hit the $ame as we all do the better .I have actually come across people who believed the queen and others did not go to the toilet as they had a special diet.Honestly the old folk who were keen on them really did believe the were god like.Now after charles gate diana gate scandal we know there just overpaid plonkers. Don't get me started GRRRRRRRRR :D Alistair

Dr Stan
04-22-2011, 04:31 PM
I can never understand why people care about what other people are doing so much. Its annoying!

Its the same reason "reality" shows and sports are so popular, they lack any substance in their own lives and live their lives vicariously through others.

Tony Pratt
04-22-2011, 04:43 PM
I actually don't mind the royals, I would imagine they bring in many more pounds in tourism than they cost. On the other hand we have many other sorts of idle parasites that I do get extremely angry about, some homegrown and a lot which come from overseas and they ain't coming here for the weather.:mad:

The Artful Bodger
04-22-2011, 04:51 PM
If we didnt have a Royal Family they would have to be invented, just look at the US for an example of how difficult that is. Everytime they change President they have to go through the whole thing all over again, family tree, wives, children, siblings etc etc.

At least with a Royal Family we have a never ending soap opera with even better scandals than Coronation Street or Emmerdale Farm, someone to open hospitals and launch ships and of course the image of real live people to put on the currency.:)

Let Auntie Betty and her brood be, she and Phil The Greek have done a great job all their lives.

sasquatch
04-22-2011, 04:58 PM
The "Ultimate Welfare Family" !!!

They haven,t a clue what real working people do or how they live.

A report i heard stated just the security for this wedding was going to cost 30 Million dollars.

(They didn,t say who was paying for that,,, any guesses?)

John Stevenson
04-22-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm still pi$$ed that I didn't put an accumulator bet on at the bookies that princes Di and Mother Teresa would kick the bucket on the same weekend.

The odds on that one must have been astronomical......................

Using the time to install a couple of new CNC's while the R & D show who have bought them are shut down.

sasquatch
04-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Heard a good one the other day:

Guy was wondering what Williams opinion was at his "Stag" party when his chums were jumping up and stuffing money into the strippers "G" strings,,,

With his grandmothers picture on it!?????????????????:D :D

Alistair Hosie
04-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Sasquatch if the royals are so well loved why would we need to spend 30million on saving them.surely everyone loves them?Alistair

jugs
04-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Insted of watching all that tripe next week

- WATCH THIS INSTEAD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kav0FEhtLug&feature=player_embedded)

john

sasquatch
04-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Alister,, you have it CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It appears the growing resistance to this group is getting a bit unruly, the younger generation is catching on that this bunch of old cronies have had their day.
Time for Chuck to get out there with his chainsaw and buzz up some firewood to help heat his parents home, and Cammila can start doing the laundry, weeding the new garden!!:D

lazlo
04-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Guy was wondering what Williams opinion was at his "Stag" party when his chums were jumping up and stuffing money into the strippers "G" strings,,,

LOL! I guess not :D

Then again, apparently there's more than an insignificant segment of the UK who are annoyed that Kate is a commoner and has been living with William for 8 years -- an unlikely virgin :)

John Stevenson
04-22-2011, 06:24 PM
I guess not :D

Then again, apparently there's more than an insignificant segment of the UK who are annoyed that Kate is a commoner and has been living with William for 8 years -- an unlikely virgin :)

That's a Liverpool virgin.
The Oxford English dictionary describes the same as :-

"any female over 12 who hasn't been f~#ked much."

Mcgyver
04-22-2011, 06:37 PM
I don't begrudge them, all they did was be born. Besides, I don't think it would be a very nice life. The ones I begrudge are the the morons, you know, seemingly most of the population. People who believe in alien abductions but couldn't tell you what keeps a plane in the sky. People who give a crap who's sleeping with who in hollywood. People who give a crap about royal weddings and affairs. It's their fault we're inundated, the masses to whom this matters. Went to send a package the other day and geez even on the Canadian post office web site you're blasted by it. I say as per usual, the blame rests solely with the moron class .

rohart
04-22-2011, 06:50 PM
When I first heard about this, I thought, "Great ! There's going to be a Royal Welding Party !"

John Stevenson
04-22-2011, 07:09 PM
When I first heard about this, I thought, "Great ! There's going to be a Royal Welding Party !"

That figures, half that lot are AC/DC

wierdscience
04-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Personally, I've found the BBC (a non-profit, government institution) to be the least biased, least sensational, and therefore most accurate of the common news broadcasts. YMMV...

:D :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-411846/We-biased-admit-stars-BBC-News.html

Gravy
04-22-2011, 07:34 PM
THIS IS THE RATIONALITY POLICE. ALL OF YOU STEP AWAY FROM THE TELEVISION. DROP THE REMOTE. PUT YOUR HANDS ON THE LATHE.

And get back to doing something worthwhile.

lazlo
04-22-2011, 07:42 PM
:D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-411846/We-biased-admit-stars-BBC-News.html

LOL Darin -- did you get this from the same chain mail as the "Slut Parade"? ;)

"At the secret meeting in London last month, which was hosted by veteran broadcaster Sue Lawley, BBC executives admitted the corporation is dominated by homosexuals and people from ethnic minorities, deliberately promotes multiculturalism, is anti-American, anti-countryside and more sensitive to the feelings of Muslims than Christians."

So wait, the BBC executives are saying that they're homosexuals and people from ethnic minorities? :confused: :p

Edit: never heard of the "Dailymail" before, but from skimming through their headlines, they're the British version of the National Enquirer:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk

Helping hound: The amazing pet who can do nearly every household chore (and really does work like a dog)

U.S. Marines mock up Britney Spears' latest song… from the middle of Afghanistan

They thought I was nuts': Meet the high school student who faked her own pregnancy for SIX MONTHS

Tattoo confession: Dumb killer caught in cold case after officers spot the murder scene he'd inked on his chest

... and my favorite:

Meet the deviant Lib-Dem candidate for the S&M tendency at the next elections (let's hope she gets a good beating)

aostling
04-22-2011, 08:10 PM
The queen still owns all public lands in Canada which is 95% of the country.

Well then, I guess she owns all the Crown Land in New Zealand and Australia too. But I doubt if she can sell any of it to cover expenses.

boslab
04-22-2011, 08:43 PM
This particular PR exercise had to be lashed together pritty quick, the old electorate over here are fairly depressed, 55% tax, massive public spending cuts, military cuts, 2 Idiots masqurading as a prime minister, the banks hand firmly jammed in the coffers of the bank of england, god bless them they need thier bonuses.
So the usual remedy, a state occasion complete with a holiday, it always shuts the idiots up, works every time [either a royal wedding or a war will do]
There is no shortage of money for pampering the elite, not just the royals but the parasitic class of ultra rich]
Without doubt the royal supporters make up the bulk of the voting south of england, want to stay in power then keep that lot happy.
I,m going to hide in the shed
mark
BTW the queen hasent even MET the brides mother, hows that for short order weddings, i wouldent have been suprised if the other numpty gets a mail order malay bride

lazlo
04-22-2011, 08:53 PM
the banks hand firmly jammed in the coffers of the bank of england, god bless them they need thier bonuses.

So the usual remedy, a state occasion complete with a holiday, it always shuts the idiots up, works every time [either a royal wedding or a war will do]
There is no shortage of money for pampering the elite, not just the royals but the parasitic class of ultra rich]

Wow, but for the Queen, I thought you were describing the US! :p

BTW the queen hasent even MET the brides mother, hows that for short order weddings, i wouldent have been suprised if the other numpty gets a mail order malay bride

Her Son has been living with the girl for 8 years, and she never met her Mother???

Weston Bye
04-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Her Son has been living with the girl for 8 years, and she never met her Mother???

Ummmm... I think we are talking grandson here, not son.

My wife and I talked this over. We couldn't remember our grandparents meeting the other's parents until our wedding. Possibly Mothers and Grandmothers might have met at a wedding shower...

wierdscience
04-22-2011, 09:20 PM
LOL Darin -- did you get this from the same chain mail as the "Slut Parade"? ;)

No chain mail on either front,BBC is biased AS ARE ALL media outlets.

A different article-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/8423193/Michael-Buerk-attacks-politically-correct-BBC.html

The BBC's trash canning of the CRU e-mail leak smacks of blatant agenda driving.Anyone who actually read the e-mails would know dam well they weren't "taken out of context"

I also noticed they're principal outlet in the US is NPR,both are multi-cult bull **** networks and have been for years.Course it could be Ron Schiller's "it's the Jooooos running the print media" remark that has me doubting NPR'S objectivity:rolleyes:

I used to donate to NPR,but quit right after 9/11 when they insisted on broadcasting the Muslim call to prayer every morning.

wierdscience
04-22-2011, 09:32 PM
[either a royal wedding or a war will do]

Cheer up,this time you get a wedding and a war,and the war is over oil and your allied with the French!:D

At least it's your oil though,we aren't at war in Lybia,it's more of an "Overseas Contingency Plan" we are just there to piss away money.

lazlo
04-22-2011, 09:58 PM
At least it's your oil though,we aren't at war in Lybia,it's more of an "Overseas Contingency Plan" we are just there to piss away money.

Or support a fledgling Democracy, depending on how you look at it.

wierdscience
04-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Or support a fledgling Democracy, depending on how you look at it.

We have to install the regime before we see who's running it.

lazlo
04-22-2011, 10:05 PM
No chain mail on either front,BBC is biased AS ARE ALL media outlets.

It's a matter of degree. US media outlets are owned and operated as profit centers.

A different article-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/8423193/Michael-Buerk-attacks-politically-correct-BBC.html

"Writing in political magazine Standpoint, Mr Buerk said: “What the BBC regards as normal and abnormal, what is moderate or extreme, where the centre of gravity of an issue lies, are conditioned by the common set of assumptions held by the people who work for it.”
He added: “It’s all very well-meaning, and painstakingly even-handed, but often notably adrift of the overriding national sentiment.”"

If political correctness is the worst of BBC's sins, that's lightyears better than the institutional corruption of the US's commercial news outlets.

mike4
04-23-2011, 03:00 AM
That's a Liverpool virgin.
The Oxford English dictionary describes the same as :-

"any female over 12 who hasn't been f~#ked much."
At least she's better looking than Camilla, and its a way of injecting new blood into that inbred lot.
Michael

MrSleepy
04-23-2011, 07:10 PM
I noticed that Oak Island is up for sale (well the 78% that includes the treasure pit)..

Will they ever find out whats down there..

Rob

lakeside53
04-24-2011, 10:58 AM
At least she's better looking than Camilla, and its a way of injecting new blood into that inbred lot.
Michael

It's referred to as "Hybrid Vigor":D

Alistair Hosie
04-25-2011, 12:14 PM
We are morons for putting up with the tossers.I hate the lack of democracy in the whole thing royal simply by birth and treated like mini gods for ever more.Surely we could vote for keeping or not keeping them but no that would be unfair on the rich ba$tards .Whores homo's and drug addicts ,and philanderers etc,etc,etc, paid for by mugs that's all they are.I still think like most british that Diana was murdered,on their behalf.Alistair

sansbury
04-25-2011, 01:43 PM
As an American I reserve the right to snort and commit lese-majeste, but I can't help but think that dumping the royals woud simply be one more step in the systematic elimination of traditional British character.

That said, the prospect of a King Charles must make even the most ardent monarchists' minds wander. It is very easy to imagine him as an absolutely awful ruler in an era when kings' words had the power of life and death.

mike os
04-25-2011, 02:17 PM
I have a wonderful device for preventing all this crap invading my space.... thank god for the off button :p

Personally I think our next monarch is getting married sometime soon... charlie boy's not going to get a look in (thank god).. & queenie is going for the record... only another 4.5 years or so to go:rolleyes:

wierdscience
04-25-2011, 02:32 PM
That said, the prospect of a King Charles must make even the most ardent monarchists' minds wander. It is very easy to imagine him as an absolutely awful ruler in an era when kings' words had the power of life and death.

Ya,I was pretty indifferent towards him until I heard him give a speech on GW once,He's nuttier than Squirrel s--- :eek:

Alistair Hosie
04-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Darin Charles once openly admitted talking to plants he said the understood and also like music and that helped them to grow.Seriously.I think the inbreeding is getting to them.:D He, if you read about it was horrible to Diana I have no time for such people.Alistair

Oldbrock
04-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Who's Charlie Sheen? The royal boys do enough in the forces to get a cameo appearance for the media, don't know how much fighting they do though. Too big a sinkhole for the british taxpayers in my opinion but can't imagine GB without their royalty. Was bonnie prince Charlie any different Alistaire? Maybe the kilt made a difference. Peter

wierdscience
04-25-2011, 04:28 PM
He, if you read about it was horrible to Diana I have no time for such people.Alistair

Agreed,he was a D--- from the get go from what I've read.I hope William is the man his father never was and does right by his new bride.

jackary
04-25-2011, 04:35 PM
I've got a feeling that this site will crash on Friday due to too many Republicans and Royalists having to pour out their emotions on this thread, over what is obviously going to be a very emotive day, virtually worldwide. Who would have thought that grizzly metal machinists had such sensitivities buried deep down, and it all is brought boiling to the surface over what to wear or whether to watch on the day. My sympathies go with poor George Bulliss who has to weather this perfect storm with a crashed help desk.
Regards
Alan

loose nut
04-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Its the same reason "reality" shows and sports are so popular, they lack any substance in their own lives and live their lives vicariously through others.

75% of the people hate the so called reality shows. They exist because they are less than cheap to produce so there is more profit for the producers.

Toolguy
04-25-2011, 05:47 PM
I find it amazing that we have 7 pages (so far) on a subject that people claim to want to avoid!:rolleyes:

wierdscience
04-25-2011, 06:15 PM
I've got a feeling that this site will crash on Friday due to too many Republicans and Royalists having to pour out their emotions on this thread, over what is obviously going to be a very emotive day, virtually worldwide. Who would have thought that grizzly metal machinists had such sensitivities buried deep down, and it all is brought boiling to the surface over what to wear or whether to watch on the day. My sympathies go with poor George Bulliss who has to weather this perfect storm with a crashed help desk.
Regards
Alan

No wrist slitting here Alan,just curious spectators spectating at a royal spectacle.

Besides we have much more important stuff going on like the looming football strike:rolleyes:

MaxHeadRoom
04-25-2011, 06:20 PM
.I have actually come across people who believed the queen and others did not go to the toilet as they had a special diet.

Well I guess the fact that Thomas Crapper was awarded several Royal warrants for improving the royal Biffy would contradict that. :D
(In spite of popular myth, he did not invent the flush toilet however) ;)
Max.

aboard_epsilon
04-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Who's Charlie Sheen? The royal boys do enough in the forces to get a cameo appearance for the media, don't know how much fighting they do though. Too big a sinkhole for the british taxpayers in my opinion but can't imagine GB without their royalty. Was bonnie prince Charlie any different Alistaire? Maybe the kilt made a difference. Peter

Like them or not ..i reckon they bring more visitors in, spending money, than they themselves use money up...and this wedding by itself, will be making, far more money, for the country, than it will cost.

all the best.markj

Rustybolt
04-25-2011, 07:56 PM
I find it amazing that we have 7 pages (so far) on a subject that people claim to want to avoid!:rolleyes:

Well.
In my defense I thought I was going to get to go gold panning. Now it looks like I'm going to have to clean my garage instead.

.RC.
04-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Alister,, you have it CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It appears the growing resistance to this group is getting a bit unruly, the younger generation is catching on that this bunch of old cronies have had their day.
Time for Chuck to get out there with his chainsaw and buzz up some firewood to help heat his parents home, and Cammila can start doing the laundry, weeding the new garden!!:D

I guess not many people understand what the role of the royal family is in the running of the UK...

They are the head of the Church of England and supposed to be the protector of the rights of all people in the Commonwealth (including ours here in AU) All laws passed have to have royal assent before becoming law..

The unfortunate thing is in reality they seem to allow parliament pass whatever laws they want to the point the UK is now more like George Orwells 1984 then a free country...

KEJR
04-26-2011, 07:59 PM
I thought I could escape it by going to bbs.homeshopmachinist.com but apparrently I was wrong :)

lazlo
04-26-2011, 09:09 PM
They are the head of the Church of England

Yes, but only because their great, great, great, great grand-dad wanted to have an affair with Anne Boleyn.

It's good to be King :)

jugs
04-27-2011, 03:55 AM
I guess not many people understand what the role of the royal family is in the running of the UK...

They are the head of the Church of England and supposed to be the protector of the rights of all people in the Commonwealth (including ours here in AU) All laws passed have to have royal assent before becoming law..

The unfortunate thing is in reality they seem to allow parliament pass whatever laws they want to the point the UK is now more like George Orwells 1984 then a free country...

The whole thing is an elaborate & expensive farce

All laws passed have to have royal assent before becoming law..

No monarch has withheld the Royal Assent on a bill passed by the British Parliament since 1708.
the Sovereign does not actually analyze the bill and make a decision on whether or not to grant Assent. In practice, the granting of Assent is purely ceremonial.
The Queen can give Royal Assent in person but this has not happened since 1854. The Queen's agreement to give her assent to a Bill is automatic.

the UK is now more like George Orwells 1984 then a free country

Now ain't that the truth :mad:

john

aboard_epsilon
04-27-2011, 06:04 AM
The latest news from Orwellian UK

Taxis have got to have three inspections and another load stuff, before they comply...will be many going out of business ..or banging the fares up to meet the standards

and postmen aare not aloud to cross the road..elf and safety..they must now walk down one side of the road ..then cross then walk up the other side ..nearly doubling the amount of walking they have to do.

on the subject of 1984 .......im convinced instead of people taking a warning from it ..the officialdom are using it as an ideas guide book.

ALL THE BEST.MARKJ

jugs
04-27-2011, 06:17 AM
The latest news from Orwellian UK

Taxis have got to have three inspections and another load stuff, before they comply...will be many going out of business ..or banging the fares up to meet the standards

and postmen aare not aloud to cross the road..elf and safety..they must now walk down one side of the road ..then cross then walk up the other side ..nearly doubling the amount of walking they have to do.

ALL THE BEST.MARKJ

Not true,
draw 2 parallel lines (scale of street)
draw zigzag lines visiting each house
measure & compare both routes,
sit back in amazement. :eek: :D

john

aboard_epsilon
04-27-2011, 06:23 AM
They should not have to deliver to every house in the street ..
so not so ziggy zaggy.
well....they never used to do ..now they have all this junk mail to deliver ..they do do ..so you may be right.

all the best.mark

.RC.
04-27-2011, 07:13 AM
on the subject of 1984 .......im convinced instead of people taking a warning from it ..the officialdom are using it as an ideas guide book.

ALL THE BEST.MARKJ

don't worry, we r not far behind u...

SGW
04-27-2011, 07:58 AM
I just found out that coverage of the Royal Wedding begins at 8:15 GMT (2:15am EDT), so I will not have a difficult time deciding not to watch it. The actual ceremony is scheduled for 11:00am GMT (5:00am EDT), still too early for me to bother with it. The re-runs (of which I'm sure there will be plenty) will be quite enough.

aboard_epsilon
04-27-2011, 08:05 AM
wedding time is 7am EDT..

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/eastern-time/convert/

ALL THE BEST.MARKJ

wierdscience
04-27-2011, 08:21 AM
The whole thing is an elaborate & expensive farce

Just like the Obama administration.

Rustybolt
04-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Just like the Obama administration.

Now you've gone and done it.:)

Oldbrock
04-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Just a thought. How many of you will change your tune if the muslim radicals get lucky and evade the millions of pounds worth of security and kill a few royals? Peter

Oldbrock
04-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Wasamatta boys, cat got your tounge?

oil mac
04-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Well guys,
The wedding is now done & dusted, Maybe some members on the forum dont agree with monarchy, fair dinkum folks, that is freedom of expression, To each his own, I thought for once, over the past gloomy decades this was a happening with a really excellent "feel good factor"

For once it took us all away from our lousy politicians (all of them) and we were treated to a pageant which was colourful and precise, A happy occasion. Such organised events is the one thing that Britain seems to excell at, It was beamed all around the world to millions, I only watched it myself for a short period, And i wish that young couple well in their future

Even more out of the norm, the bride, Kate, is a commoner, this gives a breath of fresh air to the royals, And one cannot help but think both her and her bridegroom, look nice pleasant souls, And it seems to be a real "boy meets girl " love story scenario.

Dan.

SGW
04-29-2011, 07:46 PM
The Brits are the best in the world at pagentry.

wierdscience
04-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Take away the royalty,the crowds and the pomp and pageantry and what you have is still a young couple embarking on life together and with that I wish them both love,life and happiness!

sasquatch
04-29-2011, 08:14 PM
OIL Mac,,, Could you explain to the majority of us here what is the difference between a "Commoner" and a "Royal".

Would most of us here be classed as Commoners,,,Are we a lower class of people? An understanding of this would be appreciated .

.RC.
04-29-2011, 08:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8PTrwwyLoo

bob_s
04-29-2011, 08:24 PM
There is a saying that covers your situation quite well:- "Life is a b!tch and then you die!"

I believe that you have misquoted the old saw;

"Life's a bitch
Then you marry one
Then you die"

sasquatch
04-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Misquote again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

You marry one,,,,,,,

Then you pay BIG time,,,,,

Then you die.:D :D

Peter N
04-30-2011, 04:56 AM
Well I wasn't deliberately trying to avoid it, but made the most of an extra days holiday to go out on a 600-mile motorbike ride with a few friends.

Went from Hadleigh in Suffolk down to Taunton to meet people there, then on to Dunster to pick up some more, then over to Porlock and an up the hill on the Exmoor coast and over the top for lunch in Lynmouth.
Came back following the Exe River Valley from Dunster to Tiverton, then back across country to pick up the A358/A303 to all points East :)
Left at 5.20am in the morning, back at 7.45pm in the evening.
Bit tired but had a good day out.

oil mac
04-30-2011, 05:59 AM
Sasquatch,
The designation Commoner, only applies to differentiate between rank in the hiararchy It is classed as " A person below the rank of a peer"

That in no way means either you or i are a lower class, That vanished in the middle ages, One of my late friends was a peer and every time i met up with him he looked like a farm labourer, He was a practical down to earth sort of soul who worked extremely hard in his estate & worked for the good of everyone.,

Dan.

Deus Machina
04-30-2011, 06:09 AM
peer
–noun
a person of the same legal status: a jury of one's peers.
a person who is equal to another in abilities, qualifications, age, and background.
something of equal worth or quality: a sky-scraper without peer.

Sure sounds, to me, that 'commoner' as used to say "A person below the rank of a peer" is pretty openly insulting, to me.

Then again, I have more than the normal American disdain for royalty or anyone that deems themselves as higher up some outdated social ladder by birth. :)

That said, since I don't care to know any celebrities on a personal level without actually meeting them, congratulations to them on life's journey, and to all you brits that got an extra day off.

Also from an American viewpoint, aside from the 'any excuse' reason, why is this worth getting a day off? :p

Forrest Addy
04-30-2011, 06:20 AM
I'm not going. Last time I went (for Prince Charles/Diana wedding) they gave me a really ugly horse to ride.

jugs
04-30-2011, 06:37 AM
I'm not going. Last time I went (for Prince Charles/Diana wedding) they gave me a really ugly horse to ride.

Was she a go'er
Was she called Camilla

john

mike os
04-30-2011, 06:51 AM
Was she called Camilla

john

I cant believe anyone is that desperate..... :D

John Stevenson
04-30-2011, 06:55 AM
Also from an American viewpoint, aside from the 'any excuse' reason, why is this worth getting a day off? :p

God knows ?

Anyone else gets married on a Saturday but even if that doesn't wash we have another public holiday this coming Monday, May Day. So why could they have not got married on that day ?

So we have had a long weekend previous, Easter, and now with the Friday and Monday another long weekend, no wonder the country can't produce anything.

All though they have stated that this was a private wedding and not a state wedding ?????????????

They never shut all London off when I got married and that was a private wedding.

Then to top it all Williams mate did a fly past towing his personal banner, seeing as this was 'private' I hope they charge him for the Avgas.

Circlip
04-30-2011, 07:35 AM
Even more out of the norm, the bride, Kate, is a commoner

No one with Yorkshire roots is a commoner :rolleyes:

Regardds Ian.

Timleech
04-30-2011, 07:54 AM
peer
–noun
a person of the same legal status: a jury of one's peers.
a person who is equal to another in abilities, qualifications, age, and background.
something of equal worth or quality: a sky-scraper without peer.

Sure sounds, to me, that 'commoner' as used to say "A person below the rank of a peer" is pretty openly insulting, to me.

Then again, I have more than the normal American disdain for royalty or anyone that deems themselves as higher up some outdated social ladder by birth. :)

That said, since I don't care to know any celebrities on a personal level without actually meeting them, congratulations to them on life's journey, and to all you brits that got an extra day off.

You've missed out:-
"peer - a nobleman (duke or marquis or earl or viscount or baron) who is a member of the British peerage"

A load of outdated nonsense, though I wish the couple no harm. A lot of people seem to have made an enjoyable day out of it. Here's one person's take on the monarchy:-

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/blogs/talking_politics/the-case-for-sceptical-royalism-p190998.html

I managed to avoid it yesterday by going out, but got irritated that this morning's news on the box was going through it all again at length and any serious news only got the briefest of mentions.

Tim

aboard_epsilon
04-30-2011, 02:15 PM
OIL Mac,,, Could you explain to the majority of us here what is the difference between a "Commoner" and a "Royal".

Would most of us here be classed as Commoners,,,Are we a lower class of people? An understanding of this would be appreciated .

i cant point it out to you as my comps running slow

so some one point him to the Two Ronnies sketch on lower,middle and upper class on youtube.

all the best.markj

derekm
04-30-2011, 02:45 PM
God knows ?

Then to top it all Williams mate did a fly past towing his personal banner, seeing as this was 'private' I hope they charge him for the Avgas.

a Sea King is a Paraffin Budgie not an Avgas Avian.

derekm
04-30-2011, 02:57 PM
No one with Yorkshire roots is a commoner :rolleyes:

Regardds Ian.

Certainly commoner than those on west side of the the great divide :)

mike os
04-30-2011, 03:13 PM
You've missed out:-
"peer - a nobleman (duke or marquis or earl or viscount or baron) who is a member of the British peerage"

A load of outdated nonsense, though I wish the couple no harm. A lot of people seem to have made an enjoyable day out of it. Here's one person's take on the monarchy:-

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/blogs/talking_politics/the-case-for-sceptical-royalism-p190998.html

I managed to avoid it yesterday by going out, but got irritated that this morning's news on the box was going through it all again at length and any serious news only got the briefest of mentions.

Tim

just a thought.... wonder how "welcome" most of us would be in Beverly hills, or wherever the "celebrities" hang out these days? ( same basic "divide"... just call them rich bastards these days)

philbur
04-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Commoner is at least a couple of cuts above trailer-trash so you should take it as a compliment really.

The main reason that the USA is a classless society is that it doesn't have any.;)

duck and cover:eek:

[I] Sure sounds, to me, that 'commoner' as used to say "A person below the rank of a peer" is pretty openly insulting, to me.

jugs
04-30-2011, 03:31 PM
i cant point it out to you as my comps running slow

so some one point him to the Two Ronnies sketch on lower,middle and upper class on youtube.

all the best.markj

This was it :(
http://jokeboxjury.blogspot.com/2011/04/classic-comedy-i-know-my-place-with.html :mad:

Sadly I cant find another version of it (the brilliant one [ I know my place ] with the two Ronnies & John Clease) only parody's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JSahEDRjvw&feature=related

john

oil mac
04-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Point worth considering in all this --- During all the pageantry, the lumps of manure left on the streets of London, from the various oat burners in the procession,

A) Is this crown property?

B) Is it an act against the crown to remove said material, for ones garden, flower box, allotment, Or to retain as a souvenier of the great day?:eek: :D

John Stevenson
04-30-2011, 05:15 PM
a Sea King is a Paraffin Budgie not an Avgas Avian.

Ooops senior moment from a guy who used to repair aircraft refuelling tankers for Shell. :confused:

rewind to Jet A1:cool:

Oldbrock
04-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Peter, are there still two Porlock hills, the short steep one and the long gentle one? Peter

Peter N
04-30-2011, 05:54 PM
Peter, are there still two Porlock hills, the short steep one and the long gentle one? Peter

You don't think a bunch of motorcycles would take the one without the scary steep climb and the hairpin bends do you? :D :D

I think the slow gentle one is for those deluded fools who think they can take a caravan up there:eek:

John Stevenson
04-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Peter,
Just went up it again for memory's sake using Google streetview :D

That saved a bit of diesel :rolleyes:

sasquatch
04-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Ok, i understand this topic is getting a bit tiring,, but this topic came up today amongst some of us "Commoners":rolleyes: And we were wondering the following:

#1- Have these people (the royals) ever worked at anything?
#2- If so, what were they working at? (Never mind consulting or fundraising events, actual work-labour.)

Any Brits here can inform us about this? Thanks now we will shut up!!:D

John Stevenson
04-30-2011, 08:41 PM
William, the guy who just got married flies an air sea rescue helicopter

boslab
04-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Strangely enough i can see porlock out across the channel from my kitchen window, it just occured to me im in Wales looking at England every time i eat my shreddies.
Never been up it on a bike, down it in a van was bad enough
mark

Circlip
05-01-2011, 05:41 AM
#2- If so, what were they working at? (Never mind consulting or fundraising events, actual work-labour.)

And his younger brother has been seen on the trigger end of a machine gun in Afghanistan, and their Uncle also flew a chopper in the Falklands saga, and their great uncle commanded a minesweeper in the war that started in 1939 over here.
Want anymore????

Regards Ian.

Your Old Dog
05-01-2011, 08:03 AM
I haven't read this entire thread as it rates right up there with the royal wedding but I will add this.

I find it amusing that the media tells us they only do this wall to wall, tree top tall coverage because it's what the public wants. I beg to differ, they are all in competition to see who can cover it like a blanket so they can later do promos about it how great they did on the coverage. I know of no one who wants all this coverage about ANY story except a disaster natural or otherwise. It's media for medias sake, not because we have a need or desire to know.

jep24601
05-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Ok, i understand this topic is getting a bit tiring,, but this topic came up today amongst some of us "Commoners":rolleyes: And we were wondering the following:

Grandma was a Land Rover mechanic.

Lew Hartswick
05-01-2011, 10:02 AM

I think Sasquatch has been living in a cave all his life or never reads a
paper or seen a TV set. if he doesn't know all the facts posted between
his post and this one. :-)
...lew...

oil mac
05-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Talking of the fact," Do the Royals ever do any work?" I do not think i would care to be in the shoes of any monarch, Everything is never quite what it seems

The queen has been a hard working soul for decades, and still is, I do not think her life is her own, every day virtually accounted for Imagine every year having to go and sit through the Royal Variety Performance, and have to smile &clap at some of the so called entertainment !:eek: I sat and watched it one year and that was enough, At least on my television i can either change channel or switch off, I am not a captive prisoner like Elizabeth the second during the hour and a half of utter drivel

As well as that having to put up with some of the creatures she has to meet (And by that i dont mean the corgies or horses) I mean humans

She has my admiration Now back to my lathe

Alistair Hosie
05-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Sorry Dan she can always abdicate none of them are queing up to leave the system they inherit do they? it can't be that tough.Look they are all living the most fabulous lifves imaginable aND believe me it's not work every day or anything like it.I have no respect for any of them especially after the disdainful way Diana was treated by them.He (Charlie boy shagger)was sleeping with Mrs park your bowels all through and before his marriage to Diana even during the honeymoon not right or very royal is it. I am still convinced she was killed by the authorities. All through history they have shafted us right down the line.I don't have any great animosity towards any of them really as people.I wouldn't do kill them like some of the irish want to do, just that I don't agree with monarchy.inherited and undemocratic .Alistair

laddy
05-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed it!!!! What a show! The couple is great and the crowd contol was Marvelous. Why be a sour puss....

aboard_epsilon
05-01-2011, 04:43 PM

and he calls at my local chippy every friday .....that's if the guy isnt a double with HRH on his jacket and a minder in tow.

all the best.markj

Your Old Dog
05-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Talking of the fact," Do the Royals ever do any work?" I do not think i would care to be in the shoes of any monarch, Everything is never quite what it seems

Roger that. I can't imagine having to push my way through a crowd of flashguns and cameras just so I can take a crap. It would sure get old soon. Bite your tonge and frown.....bingo, you just made page one of every news paper in the world. Sink a wet fart and you're the lead on every network worldwide. Best to avoid those artificial sweetners :D

aboard_epsilon
05-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Sorry Dan she can always abdicate none of them are queing up to leave the system they inherit do they? it can't be that tough.Look they are all living the most fabulous lifves imaginable aND believe me it's not work every day or anything like it.I have no respect for any of them especially after the disdainful way Diana was treated by them.He (Charlie boy shagger)was sleeping with Mrs park your bowels all through and before his marriage to Diana even during the honeymoon not right or very royal is it. I am still convinced she was killed by the authorities. All through history they have shafted us right down the line.I don't have any great animosity towards any of them really as people.I wouldn't do kill them like some of the irish want to do, just that I don't agree with monarchy.inherited and undemocratic .Alistair

Well Alastair ..you may get your wish soon ..

Results of elections yesterday, show nearly all of bonny Scotland being in control of the Scottish national party ..which could mean your Independence soon..and you having to have a passport to get over the border . :D

Scotland nearly all yellow

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/scottish-politics/8495468/Scottish-Election-2011-results-map.html

all the best.markj

Peter N
05-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Well Alastair ..you may get your wish soon ..

Results of elections yesterday, show nearly all of bonny Scotland being in control of the Scottish national party ..which could mean your Independence soon..and you having to have a passport to get over the border . :D

Scotland nearly all yellow

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/scottish-politics/8495468/Scottish-Election-2011-results-map.html

all the best.markj

Let's hope so, then we can finish off Hadrians Wall to keep them all up there :D :D

John Stevenson
05-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Let's hope so, then we can finish off Hadrians Wall to keep them all up there :D :D

No need, just throw two bob over the wall and that will keep them looking and fighting for the next twenty years.

jackary
05-07-2011, 05:25 AM
No need, just throw two bob over the wall and that will keep them looking and fighting for the next twenty years.

Brilliant John (coffee snort)
If thats all it takes I am sure it will be easy to get a whip round to have enough to ensure it works for ever.
Alan

Circlip
05-07-2011, 05:53 AM
And what are all the Scottish going to do that are presently hiding in Westminter??

Roll on.:cool:

Regards Ian.

John Stevenson
05-07-2011, 05:59 AM
And what are all the Scottish going to do that are presently hiding in Westminter??

Roll on.:cool:

Regards Ian.

Simples they are illegal immigrants once independence is granted so bang then into Long martin Concentration camp.

Circlip
05-07-2011, 06:15 AM
Can't we talk nicely to the Collonials and use Guano-antamino now that the war on terror has been solved???

Regards Ian.

Alistair Hosie
05-07-2011, 01:06 PM
The Scottish mps just like the English mps revolve regularily between westminster and wherever there constituents live. You can't have it both ways so long as most of the important stuff is decided for Scotland by westminster (in England ) we must be represented .When we have hopefully full independence then you and we can all decide on your own future. Thats all were asking for .We have had our country Scotland decided upon for hundreds of years by English mps mostly in England so thats abit rich circlip.
Alistair

Peter N
05-07-2011, 02:12 PM
We have had our country Scotland decided upon for hundreds of years by English mps mostly in England so thats abit rich circlip.
Alistair

That's 'cos you can't cope without us Alistair:D
The banking crisis of 2008 unfortunately showed that if you were independent - both politically and more importantly financially - then without us you would another Greece or Iceland. Bankrupt and on the brink of collapse.
The bailout by the Westminster Government of the two Scottish Banks - Royal Bank of Scotland and Halifax Bank of Scotland was at around £100 Billion, just about the same size as the entire GDP of Scotland.

MrSleepy
05-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Then with a little arm twisting from Westminster...the Shetland Isles demand independance from Scotland..and sell the Oil to England bypassing Scotland..

Everyones happy

Rob

Alistair Hosie
05-07-2011, 02:33 PM
you get about ten times that in Scottish oil in anycase bank of Scotland was mostly owned outside uk and you're forgetting northern rock hardly Scottish is it? the truth is all bankers inc here Europe and USA were acting greedily this has nothing to do with Scottish Government ,which has despite most of the power remaining in westminster been doing very well.On question time two weeks ago the english were asking Alex salmond if he could not represent them especially in the North were the people feel equally badly represented by westminster.We have been shafted time and again by westminster as so have the nothern English welsh etc thats why we want change its not aboput being anti english if it were I would have nothing to do with them just about taking our own decisions.it will happen one day.Alistair

MrSleepy
05-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Ohhhhh..Dont mention Question Time...

The apologetic ,appeasing baxxxxxs....They all know that Osama got what was coming to him..and rightly so imho.. If it were left up to Ashdown and co..they'd have stuck OBL in a 5 star cushy prison for a few months then let him go for lack of evidence or such like..

mike os
05-07-2011, 03:56 PM
you get about ten times that in Scottish oil in anycase bank of Scotland was mostly owned outside uk and you're forgetting northern rock hardly Scottish is it? the truth is all bankers inc here Europe and USA were acting greedily this has nothing to do with Scottish Government ,which has despite most of the power remaining in westminster been doing very well.On question time two weeks ago the english were asking Alex salmond if he could not represent them especially in the North were the people feel equally badly represented by westminster.We have been shafted time and again by westminster as so have the nothern English welsh etc thats why we want change its not aboput being anti english if it were I would have nothing to do with them just about taking our own decisions.it will happen one day.Alistair

face it... the scottish boys club could never have bailed out RBS/hbs, with or without oil revinue..... let alone the others. RBS may be a world bank but it would still have gone down if the english parliament had not bailed out the provinces yet again. Given the spending plans up there, without UK funding you will be little better off than a 3rd world country in but a few years.;)

oil mac
05-07-2011, 07:09 PM
I certainly will be very sad to see the break up of the union, Simply because as an island we are too small to survive if all its constituent parts are dimembered, Saying that from a military perspective where would the Westminster clique be if they throw Scotland to the wolves? Like our brethren in Northern England, Ireland &Wales, Many of the bravest of the brave, (from all the areas i have mentioned,) Have paid in blood to show the flag in battle in every corner of the world since the Union of the Crowns

Coupled with that fact, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, were until some years back, by and large a very important industrial heartland of Brittania, I do not somehow or other hear the palace of Westminster buzzing with the sound of industrial activity, All i hear is the sound of snouts in the trough

Pity over the last few decades we had to put up with the scumbag politicians &greedy "persons" in the financial sector who only think on self before their fellow man

I will finish with the battle cry of the brave Scottish soldiers of the 1800/s, fighting for Englands glory

Scotland For Ever

aboard_epsilon
05-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Well some of them are alright ..the rest talk absolute drivel

worked for so called consultancies ..and are masters in the art of drivel

Ive sat down and listened to lectures by these artists ..

telling me how i could achieve my goals by being dynamically set .

you just read the minuets of thousands of meetings of these Pratt's, on the net in pdf format ..and try and understand

i tell you ..the longer the words they use the more they are respected by their peers...but they get nothing done ..only talk..for months and years ..

consultancy.
criteria relationship.
We are a consultancy company emphasizing the special relationship between consultant and client. We are able to meet all consulting and implementation needs with a dynamic and flexible approach, which sets us apart from existing companies.
clear and open communication is the key not only to our success but to business success in general.

we are able to provide additional value to the existing relationship, building the partnership to success.

I'm sure this sort of speak was exported from the USA large "corporations"..as they like to call them.

so for every 1 part of our government ..you have a 1000 working in offices.. holding meetings , power pointing , drivel ..all trying to out do each other in their multi- million pound buildings designed by top architects and paid for by the people out of their taxes.

sorry to drivel on ..

all the best.markj

Georgineer
05-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Of course, if Scotland becomes independent they will have to have their Royal Family back (remember that King James I of England was already King James VI of Scotland). That would solve the problem of Royal Weddings - just don't watch Scottish TV (the BBC wouldn't want to show it).

It's interesting to reflect that Scotland asked to join the Union because they were effectively bankrupt - 1706 was it? - after their plans to establish an empire failed, and have been putting it about ever since that they were subjugated by the English.

George

Weston Bye
05-08-2011, 12:04 PM
I find somebody else's political rant thread amusing. A British political debate rather than an American political debate. The rules still apply though, and the thread might get locked if things get out of hand.

Watching in fascination.

Circlip
05-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Never stopped whinging since 16** odd when the English "Bastard" took the throne.

Regards Ian.

Alistair Hosie
05-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Your'e correct circlip the english throne has never been without bastards.Just remember a Scottish vote is not an anti English vote we are not anti English any more than English are anti Scottish I am talking about the snot drinking greedy pigs on westminster many of them scots who have their moats built and duck houses as well as people mansions. Alistair ps I am winding up mu English pals and they can't see it :D:D;) Alistair

John Stevenson
05-08-2011, 03:24 PM
PS
I am winding up my English pals and they can't see it :D;) Alistair
Alistair me old pal, while you are stuck behind that big wall we couldn't care a rats arse :D :)

Alistair Hosie
05-08-2011, 03:46 PM
John me old son I know that.:DAlistair

derekm
05-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Of course, if Scotland becomes independent they will have to have their Royal Family back (remember that King James I of England was already King James VI of Scotland). That would solve the problem of Royal Weddings - just don't watch Scottish TV (the BBC wouldn't want to show it).

It's interesting to reflect that Scotland asked to join the Union because they were effectively bankrupt - 1706 was it? - after their plans to establish an empire failed, and have been putting it about ever since that they were subjugated by the English.

George

Can we have our bail out money back please - with interest

mike os
05-09-2011, 02:52 AM
Never stopped whinging since 16** odd when the English "Bastard" took the throne.

Regards Ian.

well what do you expect?...... you get the leaders you deserve :cool:

Circlip
05-09-2011, 04:32 AM
Most of the union activists seem to have a north of Hadrians wall accent, obviously their countrymen turfed them out? Must plug the gap.

Regards Ian.

Alistair Hosie
05-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Look when will you bums get the message Scotland is best. ;) ;) :DAlistair

Alistair Hosie
05-09-2011, 04:39 PM
OH lordie it's hard to be huuuuumbell whan u git beterr looooooookin each daaaaaaay altogether now :DAlistair

.RC.
05-09-2011, 04:41 PM
It is not wise to annoy men who proudly wear dresses..

Mark McGrath
05-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Look when will you bums get the message Scotland is best. ;) ;) :DAlistair

Just ignore them Alistair.Make sure the wall is finished and watertight before they have to pay for medical treatment and education,although tbh the education they`ve had so far seems to have been a waste of money. :D

mike os
05-10-2011, 02:21 AM
It is not wise to annoy men who proudly wear dresses..

what ? like eddie izzard? ;)

Alistair Hosie
05-10-2011, 09:13 AM
The kilt is alovely thing to wear don't knock it til you've tried it .I wore one at my sons wedding and it was a great ocassion we had a great day and little willie was very well behaved never peaked out once to see what all the commotion was.:DAlistair

philbur
05-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Well of course those kind of things need to be free north of the border because nobody actually earns enough to be able to pay for them.;)

Just ignore them Alistair.Make sure the wall is finished and watertight before they have to pay for medical treatment and education,although tbh the education they`ve had so far seems to have been a waste of money. :D

Alistair Hosie
05-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Sounds like a childishly jealous remark to me the English people understandably don't like the fact Scotland is governing itself better than England I feel sorry for the northerners who also feel badly ignored by westminster maybe we should have two parliaments in England one for North and the other which seems to concentrate on the south mostly anyway.Alistair

aboard_epsilon
05-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Sounds like a childishly jealous remark to me the English people understandably don't like the fact Scotland is governing itself better than England I feel sorry for the northerners who also feel badly ignored by westminster maybe we should have two parliaments in England one for North and the other which seems to concentrate on the south mostly anyway.Alistair

Say that next time you bugger two tyres up :D on roads with pot holes

and Kwik fit WAS Scottish..started off in Edinburgh...Tom Farmer (red hair, cant get much more Scottish than that :D )

few more companies like that, and you be wishing the wall torn down.

all the best.markj

Alistair Hosie
05-10-2011, 02:39 PM
So what your saying Mark is there is no equivelent to quick fit in England or Wales I think your wrong there aRE rouges everywhere arent there? Anyway I didn't say I was certaing I didn't need that second tyre I am complaining also about these damned potholes from which the whole uk is suffering very little gets done despit collecting billions in roaD fund duty (Tax).:DAlistair

aboard_epsilon
05-10-2011, 02:48 PM
He's rouges trader :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBx6IjYrN1I

all the best.markj

philbur
05-10-2011, 03:43 PM
I guess the Romans where smarter than the English, they at least realised there was no point in going further north so they just built a wall. After all there's only so much you can do with all that rock, heather and snow.;)

Mark McGrath
05-10-2011, 05:31 PM
I guess the Romans where smarter than the English, they at least realised there was no point in going further north so they just built a wall. After all there's only so much you can do with all that rock, heather and snow.;)

You forgot the oil.

Alistair Hosie
05-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Yes mark in their desire to be rude they frequently forget the small subject of billions in oil revenue generated from Scotlands oil.:DAlistair

Georgineer
05-10-2011, 06:09 PM
A quotation from Literary Lapses by Stephen Leacock, published in 1917:

"Lord Rosebery spoke at some length. He considered the clause unfair to Scotland, where the high state of morality rendered education unnecessary. Unless an amendment in this sense was accepted, it might be necessary to reconsider the Act of Union of 1707. The leader of the Government said that... they were willing to make every concession. They would, if need be, reconsider the Norman Conquest."

Not much progress in the last hundred years then.

George

philbur
05-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Maybe, but I don't think the English did, they've aready had most of it.:confused:

You forgot the oil.

mike os
05-11-2011, 02:51 AM

the reason england is in the state its in is because we were stupid enough to let 2 scotsmen run it for a while,,,,, god knows what state they will end up in if we let them do it "all on their own":eek:

mike os
05-11-2011, 02:52 AM
Maybe, but I don't think the English did, they've aready had most of it.:confused:

And therefore scotland purpose in the union is?....
;)

John Stevenson
05-11-2011, 04:09 AM
;)

To hold the top part of the country down so it doesn't curl up like a slice of old toast.

Circlip
05-11-2011, 05:16 AM
And to act as a suitable target for the repository of most of the UK's nuclear weapons.

Regards Ian.

mike os
05-11-2011, 05:40 AM
And to act as a suitable target for the repository of most of the UK's nuclear weapons.

Regards Ian.
can we send the nuc waste up tehre too?:D

philbur
05-11-2011, 06:13 AM
To take a good kicking every couple of hundred years in order to make the English feel superior, which of course they are.:cool:

If Scotland where not in the union it would have the same economic outlook as Ireland - not Norway. Oil is in Scotlands history not its' future.

;)

aboard_epsilon
05-11-2011, 06:15 AM
can we send the nuc waste up tehre too?:D

Yeah, Lets dump it on the isle of Gruinard,...already plenty of anthrax up there ..so doesnt matter ..

all the best.markj

Circlip
05-11-2011, 06:17 AM
can we send the nuc waste up tehre too

Already have done.

repository of most of the UK's nuclear weapons.

Regards Ian.