PDA

View Full Version : Chickens& Weddings?

Bob Fisher
04-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Not wanting to be a wet blanket here, but there are plenty of places to read about chickens and weddings. Do they belong here? I read both posts and don't find the machining content that I hoped for. Thanks, Bob Fisher.

RB211
04-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Not wanting to be a wet blanket here, but there are plenty of places to read about chickens and weddings. Do they belong here? I read both posts and don't find the machining content that I hoped for. Thanks, Bob Fisher.
My fiance' and I were thinking of having our wedding in a country / farm setting, with chickens.

Rustybolt
04-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Since when do chickens get married?

Alistair Hosie
04-22-2011, 04:27 PM
They don't they live in SIN like the royals.Alistair

KiddZimaHater
04-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Darn, I was just getting ready to start another OT Thread about the Tooth Fairy, Donkeys, and Marshmallows.

Weston Bye
04-22-2011, 04:51 PM
Diversity of thought - one dimensional websites get boring after a while. Shows that our members here have multifaceted lives that revolve around machining but touch other areas.

Why wade through the machining drivel to get to the on-topic subject matter on wedding and chicken websites when you can get it all here?

sasquatch
04-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Re: "Chickens and Weddings",,,,,

I thought they both fit together quite well,,,,,,,,,,They both have the same IQ.:D :D

Weston Bye
04-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Here, a quote from another thread relevant to both machining and weddings. Seems appropriate here to save the thread.

Well today, I finally managed to remember to bring the camera to work,
just finished these spikes up, they fit into the end of some aluminium tube,
which is then screwed into the ground over which a flag pole sits.

25 of them in total (not all pictured).

Bit of a rush as they are being taken up to london by the customer for flags
at a certain wedding thats coming up.

They are 1 inch aluminium bar, the "thread" is 20mm (approx) wide, and on a 28mm
pitch takes 7 minutes to make each one, not too bad for a 20 odd year old cnc.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g290/synoguy/SpikesSmall.jpg

John Stevenson
04-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Darn, I was just getting ready to start another OT Thread about the Tooth Fairy, Donkeys, and Marshmallows.

In that order ?

Cobbler
04-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Kate Middleton does have chicken legs...:D

Dawai
04-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Tools used to produce the chicken shack..

Scotchman 35 ton ironworker to shear angle iron,
Makita 4" grinder to preclean areas to weld,
Hobart Stickmate welder utilizing 3/32nd 7018 Low hydrogen rods.
25 foot Lufkin tape measure
Pencil and paper to layout design using materiels at hand.

I am sure most the WORKING TOOLS you Home shop machinist do not have, but alas most here can explain in detail from written information available for use of them on Wikipedia whereas you can all argue the finer points of.

By the way, my lil garden now means several thousand dollars in food related income bettering the lives of myself and my wife..

wierdscience
04-22-2011, 07:38 PM
I could post pictures of what I did at work today,but inventory and paperwork are pretty f---ing boring as subjects go.

J. Randall
04-23-2011, 01:38 AM

I think most of us like the variety here, you might like the atmosphere better over on PM, or if a post here does not meet your expectations, just skip it. That is what I do.
James

mike4
04-23-2011, 02:31 AM
In that order ?

Sir John , have you received your invitation ?
Or are you just going to watch the wedding on the news like the rest of us commoners.

Michael

John Stevenson
04-23-2011, 05:43 AM
No TV for me that day.

I have managed to work a flanker and will be going to install a couple of CNC milling machines into a place whilst it's shut down for the day.

Hint, do it my way, not how their Elf and Pastry dipsh´ts insist it's done which takes 3 times as long and isn't even safe.

gda
04-23-2011, 09:13 AM
It has been brought up before that there could be a special OT grouping, but never happened.

How about a specific "machining projects" grouping then? I get bummed out when machine related posts quicky hit the third or fourth page over general chatter.

Going to PM will not filter it all out either - there was a long thread about socks a month ago.

It would be awesome to be able to click on a thread - and never have it show up to you again.

Maybe I'm just getting cranky.

lynnl
04-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Yeah, you're just getting cranky.

That's the aggravating thing about life. We mostly just have to take it as it comes to us, not as we'd like it to be.

Just scoop out the parts you like, and leave the rest.

A.K. Boomer
04-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Can't believe I checked out this OP and it had nothing to do with either chickens or weddings - thanks to all who contributed afterwords...

I was thinking chickens could just hang out outside after the wedding to eat the rice that was thrown but then I remember rice kills birds but everyone now knows that and they use bird seed instead so indeed chickens could hang out outside and then just eat all the bird seed and everyone would be gone by the time their leaky digestive system kicks in, IMHO chickens would be perfect for weddings...

tmc_31
04-23-2011, 03:15 PM
They don't they live in SIN like the royals.Alistair
SIN? Where's that? I'll never figure out the UK:D

Tim

Evan
04-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Just curious, has anybody here ever had a job where you were only allowed to talk about things directly relevant to the work? That would really suck.

This forum is all about people and what they do. Much of it concerns a common interest which is why we are here in the first place. However, restricting it to only that common interest would be pretty boring. It would also mean no posts about electric vehicles, underground wiring, favorite tractors, motorcycles, trucks etc unless you happen to be building or modifying one. Computers isn't machining either and neither is electronics but both are covered by our sponsor in their publications. Village Press also publishes magazines about dogs, fine dining and beverages, Aircraft, Live Steam including boats AND machining.

Richard86
04-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Just curious, has anybody here ever had a job where you were only allowed to talk about things directly relevant to the work? That would really suck.

This forum is all about people and what they do. Much of it concerns a common interest which is why we are here in the first place. However, restricting it to only that common interest would be pretty boring. It would also mean no posts about electric vehicles, underground wiring, favorite tractors, motorcycles, trucks etc unless you happen to be building or modifying one. Computers isn't machining either and neither is electronics but both are covered by our sponsor in their publications. Village Press also publishes magazines about dogs, fine dining and beverages, Aircraft, Live Steam including boats AND machining.

Thank you Evan, every time I see one of these critiques of OT threads that is exactly what I think of. I've never worked a job where we all don't B.S. about each others lives. While I don't post very much on here, I still think of everyone here as friends. And I know no matter what type of trouble I was having, there is a lot of caring folks on here that would be happy to offer what ever help they could. That's one of the reasons I like this place so much.

I check the forum several times a day and never have a problem not clicking on a title that doesn't interest me. I imagine it could get out of hand but I feel it's self regulated quite well.

gda
04-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Maybe the forum should be named "The group of swell people forum", "home shop machinist" might give people the wrong idea ;)

John Stevenson
04-25-2011, 01:12 PM
SIN? Where's that? I'll never figure out the UK:D

Tim

Next village to Adverse Camber.

Seastar
04-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Next village to Adverse Camber.
Now if this ain't thread creep I've never seen it!
LOL
Bill

rolland
04-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Speaking of chickens. The difference between kinky and perverted???
Kinky is when you use a feather to tickle your pardners fancy.
Preverted is when you use the whole chicken. :eek:

38_Cal
04-25-2011, 06:09 PM

My former employer was getting that way when I was "downsized"...I've heard from my spies that it's only gotten worse!

David

Black_Moons
04-25-2011, 07:18 PM
My former employer was getting that way when I was "downsized"...I've heard from my spies that it's only gotten worse!

David

You used to be a 50cal?

jugs
04-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Speaking of chickens. The difference between kinky and perverted???
Kinky is when you use a feather to tickle your pardners fancy.
Preverted is when you use the whole chicken. :eek:

Alive, dead, frozen, cooked,

which do you recommend :confused:

john
:)