PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Diagnostics - South Bend

aboard_epsilon
04-23-2011, 06:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL9BIUWw1eA

I've already added my comment :-

"lathes too clean ..those cogs should covered in open gear lube..that would go a long way to quieting the noise down .
i agree there is some wear ...but put a lot of the noise down to it being too clean.
some people use the clear motorcycle chain, non fling stuff.
that initial screech is lack of lube in the main bearings or thrust bearing...
i don't see any oil anywhere those two little oil holes in the gears look dry to me as well
whole lathe looks surgically clean .too clean"

You have a look at his fingers after handling the gears ..they are as clean as the lathe ..it's bone dry..!!!

having said all that ..its a very nice lathe ...but not for long without lube.

all the best.markj

flathead4
04-25-2011, 08:07 AM
In the time it took him to make that video, he could have made something with the lathe. The sound of tool bit on metal will drown out the gear noise.

some people use the clear motorcycle chain, non fling stuff

Way oil works for me and it makes less of a mess.

that initial screech is lack of lube in the main bearings or thrust bearing...

I think it's just the belt slipping a little. Mine will do that too sometimes depending the speed I've selected, temperature, etc.

john11668
04-25-2011, 08:28 AM
Seems a bit short on "terminology!
Can demonstrate end float, and backlash, but doesn't know the words
His technological description of an idler extends to "this guy"
May the technical description for his problem is "slopp"

duckman
04-25-2011, 09:53 AM
This person is an I D 1 0 T he should not be allowed to own a lathe until he learns what OIL is for, clean and pretty is not right, do you have oil in the engine of your car, why, your lathe runs without it and just listen to it howl,:( The majority of the repair jobs I went on were for lack of lube, and they kept me in the money so I could buy more toys. :D

Rustybolt
04-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Gears can 'sing' if meshing too tightly. A piece of paper between the gear teeth before tightening them will take care of that.

gzig5
04-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Gears can 'sing' if meshing too tightly. A piece of paper between the gear teeth before tightening them will take care of that.

They only do that for a little while until they "wear in". :rolleyes:

gwilson
04-25-2011, 03:13 PM
He doesn't sound like he is taking anyone's advice. That is a pretty old SB lathe,with the lever on the top of the QC box. 30's ?

Forrest Addy
04-25-2011, 04:09 PM
How long do you have to wiggle one gear to detect excess bushing clearance on its stud?

And I wonder if that fellow knows what a chance he's taking revving up a suspect change gear train BEFORE he checks the individual meshes.

I suspect the guy hasn't a clue.

Handsome spick and span lathe though. But I think he should be made to understand that a paint and polish job is NOT a "re-build." In a re-build (among other things) all parts are inspected and their individual sizes and fits checked and corrected. Obviously he missed the idler to its stud.

bob308
04-25-2011, 07:04 PM
this guy should take a course in how to run a lathe. before he makes teaching videos.

he only proves the old saying. them that can do, those that can't teach.

RB211
04-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Some battles you can't fight...