• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • M.I. Twice
    • Mar 2010

Cleaning brass on a tractor

Hi
    My 3/4 inch scale tractor brass parts have became dirty oxidized and my question is how to clean it and not damage the painted parts and al. parts. has any one used citric acid ? or what can I use.
    Regards M.
    M.I. Twice
  • Robin R
    • May 2008

I think you would get good results from using ketchup, though I would try it on some scrap aluminum before using on your tractor. I believe the active ingredient is acetic acid, basically vinegar. It works quite well because the rest of the ingredients help it stay in place while it does its thing.

Comment

• Deus Machina
      • Feb 2011

Go buy Taco Bell, grab a handful of the sauces there.

Really, try putting some of their fire sauce on an old penny and see what happens.

Comment

• M.I. Twice
        • Mar 2010

dirty brass tractor

thank you for the info I would not of thought of some thing out of the kitchen
        thanks again and good chip making
        regards M.I. Twice

Comment

• Mike Burdick
          • Jan 2003

Are you sure you want to polish the brass? Sometimes the value is in the patina!

Comment

• Deus Machina
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Mike Burdick
            Are you sure you want to polish the brass? Sometimes the value is in the patina!
            That's true. If it's a collectible or an heirloom, clean the whole thing with a damp rag, just to get the dust and loose stuff off. Polishing takes off both the aged look and the collector's value.

Heck, my favorite look is dark wood, pitted but use-polished steel, and patinad brass.

If it's not a collectible, polish the heck out of it and finish up with something like Nevr-Dull that will leave an oil film to prevent it from corroding again.

Comment

• lynnl
              • Jan 2002

Use Brasso. It's made for polishing brass. Does a great job too, with minimal effort.
              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

• S&S_ShovelHead
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by lynnl
                Use Brasso. It's made for polishing brass. Does a great job too, with minimal effort.
                Ive heard good things about brasso.

Comment

• Forrest Addy
                  • Oct 2002

Tooth paste for false teeth.

You can buy metal polish at most any super market or big box store. Some brands have oxaalic acid in them, a great copper alloy corrosion remover and they are kind to sound paint. .

Comment

• RWO
                    • Mar 2010

Get a can of swimming pool PH minus( sodium sulfate) at the hardware ( $10-15) and mix up 2.5 # in a gallon of hot water. Dip your brass parts and they will come clean and tarnish free in minutes. Then you can polish with Brasso to recover that mirror shine.

RWO

Comment

• JohnHarbeck
                      • Sep 2009

Metal Polish

Took all the brass fittings & trim off a 1/4 size steam locomotive two years ago, cleaned and polished for display and it still looks great.

I used Purple Metal Polish ordered from SpeedwayMotors.com 12oz for $14.99. I believe it's made by California Custom Products.

I slathered it onto a 4 inch muslin buffing wheel and polished away with a drill motor. Seems to shine MUCH BETTER than Brasso......

John Harbeck
                      Hesston Steam Museum in Indiana

Comment

Working...
                      X