PDA

View Full Version : OT-Diesel truck thatís been sitting for a While

Mike Hunter
05-01-2011, 08:01 AM
I've got a 1990 Ford F350 with the 7.3 L Diesel (non Turbo) thats been sitting for 5 + years, it's about time that I got her running again. She ran when I parked her.

I figured I would change the oil and all filters, any other thought/ideas?

Thanks

Mike

mike os
05-01-2011, 08:26 AM
turn over by hand before trying to start

change fuel & filters

vpt
05-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Personally I would throw the batteries in it and crank it up. Let it run for awhile then change oil and filters.

Carld
05-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Check the fuel tank to be sure it hasn't went bad and gelled. You may have to flush the fuel system. Turn it over without starting to get the oil pressure up.

Mike Hunter
05-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Ok, so how do I Crank or turn over a Diesel without starting it up, it's not like I can pull the coil wire?

Cranking by hand.... not sure I can do that with a diesel either, it's got something like 18 or 20: 1 compression.

chriskat
05-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Pull the fuse for the fuel pump to crank it without starting. Theres probably another way but I don't know what it is.

rode2rouen
05-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Never mind, I just noticed "non-turbo" in the OP.

Rex

mike os
05-01-2011, 01:59 PM
uaual way... socket & long bar on the front pulley... you can use the starter, but is a valve is stuck open it's a head job.....

wierdscience
05-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Bump the ignition switch a dozen or so times is all it takes.It most likely won't spin off right away anyway.

I would de-water the fuel system and change the filter before cranking though.

Black_Moons
05-01-2011, 02:43 PM
I allways like to take the spark plug (Glow plug in your case) off, and pour about a half teaspoon of oil into the cylinder before letting an engine rest, or starting it back up again after ages. (For lawnmowers and really small engines, its more like a dozen drops, I use a 1/4" ID hose, put it into fresh oil, then plug the other end with my finger to make a little oil dripper)

It might be a bad idea, someone here will have to comment, but my theory is it gets the top of the piston all nicely coated in oil and gets the rings all nicely coated and any excess should burn off harmlessly. Just to help them get back to operating conditions. (also, storing the engine with oil in the cylinder will help prevent rust)

Course, to be combined with the starter bump method, since theres a LOT more then the cylinder/rings that need oil too.

PS: if you leave the plugs out during the initial starter bump, You won't get any compression, and hence the stress on the crank and pistons will be TINY compaired to what it normaly is. letting it get lubed up without any load whatsoever.

Your Old Dog
05-01-2011, 04:42 PM
I have the turbo charged version and mine never starts right off unless it's been running for awhile and just turned off such as when shopping. I would just turn the key and release the key before it starts. Do that a few time and then let it fire up.

My 2001 is for sale as I now have a motor home and don't need it to tow a travel trailer. A quick search for current price ideas was comforting :D

zoom
05-01-2011, 05:50 PM
On a 7.3 just take the hot wire off of the injection pump and you can crank it without starting. It might be worth baring the engine over by hand two revolutions just to make sure nothing is stuck before you try it with the starter. Change the fuel filters, I would be concerned that fuel that old has grown algae in it. You might want to drain the fuel and replace it or you could try one of the fuel system treatments that you can add to the tank.
Zoom

Dawai
05-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Check for squirrels in the intake box..

When you pull the filter, cut a old inner tube, Hose clamp it on the filler neck and put about two to five pounds of air on the tank to "bleed" the filter and injector lines.. makes it much easier.

I always roll them over by hand, you can feel things sticking before you crash things. I am not sure if a international engine is a interference engine or not. (pistons can hit valves if stuck or out of time)

Old diesel fuel is crap.. only good for painting wooden things you don't want to rot.

wrenchbender
05-02-2011, 01:17 AM
bar it over. I failed to perform this little detail on a 6.2 gm after it just sat for one winter and it cost me a head job and a starter, mine exploded the bendix and blew the nose housing to pieces..
don't check the fuel. replace it the fuel in the tank will have lost it's volitility and will be hard to start it.

rock_breaker
05-02-2011, 03:34 AM
Does it have glow plugs ? If so pull them out and then turn it by hand to check for stuck valves. If O K turn it over with the starter to get oil back in the bearinggs etc.

I would put new oil in prior to starting, it would drain any water in the bottom of the oil pan.

I would not put much lubricant in the cylinders due to the extra energy created when starting. Ford dealer might have some ideas.

I had a friend that would spray diesel in the cylinders on his older Caterpillar on low compression mode priior to starting. You may be able to get the same thing by turning with the glow plugs out and pushing the foot feed down.

Someone on this forum recommeded Marine Stabl for fuel treatment may not be a bad idea.

Good luck

Ray

J Richardson
05-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Having owned several of these, I would say check the fluids, replace the fuel filter (fill with fresh fuel before installing), and let it rip. The glow plugs can break easily and if they are still functioning, I wouldn't remove them. I think your biggest concern is going to be rotted battery cables and possibly a weak starter. Good luck.

John

Black_Moons
05-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Check for squirrels in the intake box..

Haha, Im gonna have to double this suggestion, after seeing my friends RV with more nuts in the intake box then you'd find holding most cars togethor, Suprised they did'nt try and eat through the air filter to store more in there.