PDA

View Full Version : Tail stock 3MT to 3MT extension

TR
05-07-2011, 11:41 PM
I've been using an MT3 to MT3 extension on my tailstock. Works okay for me...so far. Seems to be rigid enough for what I do. Thinking I making it a permanent arrangement. Freeze the extension and tap into the tail stock.

Are there disadvantages to what I am doing ? Seems to work really well. Chucks are removed using a taper drift. Chucks and drills always lock into place.

Has anyone else done something like this ?

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu354/topari/DSCN3988Medium.jpg

mechanicalmagic
05-08-2011, 12:31 AM
I use a live center enough that I prefer the stiffness of a short tailstock. To the point that I crank it back to "0" as often as possible.

DJ

philbur
05-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Deflection when subjected to a radial load. Maximum precision means turning between centres. Maximum precision requires maximum rigidity.

A better question might be are there any advantages.

Phil:)

Are there disadvantages to what I am doing ?

2ManyHobbies
05-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Why not move the tailstock?

justanengineer
05-08-2011, 08:51 AM
If for some reason you frequently need extra reach with your tailstock, a better idea might be to convert yours into a capstan tailstock with a feed wheel on the front of the tailstock. A new tailstock quill can then be machined to be as long as you want.

Forrest Addy
05-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Make a second longer quill out of pre-HT stuff..Fairly simple project and it only takes a minute or two to swap quills.

Carld
05-08-2011, 10:52 AM
I'm going to assume your tired of cranking the crossfeed back out of the way for drilling.

A long extension in the tailstock has problems. Even a long quill has some problems but is better than the extension.

I don't have a problem with cranking the crossfeed back out of the way and sometimes I have to set the compound at 45 deg so everything will clear a live center in the tailstock.

I hope your not using a live center AND the extension.