PDA

View Full Version : Kondia FV-1 Powermill question.

Lu47Dan
05-09-2011, 09:19 PM
I recently purchased a Kondia FV-1 Powermill that was formerly a CNC or NC machine. The control panel is shot I believe, the first clue was it was setting out in the weeds, the machine other than the panel being bad is complete as far as I can tell.
Would modern controls work with the old motors that are on it? It is a three axis machine, and I was wondering if I should update this old mill with new controls or just add controls to regulate the speed of the table and quill drive motors making it a glorified manual machine.
I am a newbie to CNC, as the last CNC I ran was a Mori-Seiki AL2 Lathe a long time ago.
I can get more information on it once I have it set up and under power in my shop.
Thanks.
Dan.

djc
05-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Would modern controls work with the old motors that are on it?

The first thing to establish is what type of motors you have. Presumably you are able to Google the machine's name, where you will find a source for a manual.

My gut reaction, whether the motors are (analogue) servos or steppers would be to dump them. Motor power, and control technology has developed immensely since the machine was made; downstream of the motor coupling not much has happened.

Fit modern digital servo motors that accept step-and-direction input (second-hand Mitsubishi or Yaskawa or new Chinese - Dugong, Keling, etc.) and use Mach3 or EMC to drive it.

macona
05-11-2011, 01:40 AM
There is a board you can make to control the analog servos. Open source: http://max-mod-shop.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47

FWIW, the Dugong is not chinese, I believe they are made in Hungary.

sansbury
05-15-2011, 03:37 PM
EMC2 can interface with pretty much anything, including closed-loop servos with encoders. The emc-users mailing list would be the place to go to see if anyone knows anything about that mill.

macona
05-16-2011, 10:20 PM
You could do it with a servo2go card.

Lu47Dan
05-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the information guys, I have been busy getting Both mills set up and running. the Bridgeport is useable and the Kondia has wiring problems. I need to order a manual on it and an E-Stop button. The head will run if I push the contactor in with a plastic rod.
At least the hole for the E-stop button will take a 22mm operator, I think I have a few operators laying around from a pump control panel I salvage 11 years ago.
If one of those do not fit I will be ordering a new operator and switches from FM.
Dan.