X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • firbikrhd1
    • Mar 2001

Motorcycle Gauge Panel Project

A while back I posted some info about increasing the capacity of a small late as seen here: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=47856

Following are some pictures of the finished product of the project I was working on. My motorcycle didn't come with a tachometer and I've wanted one for years so I finally got around to a solution.

Original Speedometer only

Completed face panel

Tachometer clamp. Uses an "O" ring to hold tach to reduce vibration imparted to Tach. Relief cut for clamp hasn't been cut in this photo.

Clamp installed on panel and gauge installed in clamp.

Next post continues pictures
  • firbikrhd1
    • Mar 2001

Continued

Side view of same

Completed panel with gauges

Installed on bike. Still needs chrome or powder coat.

Comment

• Peter.
      • Mar 2008

Nice job!

Needs graining, polishing or sandblasting for a nice even finish
      Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
      Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
      Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

• MotorradMike
        • Nov 2009

Nicely done.
        I like that you mounted the lights on an arc!
        Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

• Dawai
          • Dec 2005

Cool as ice cream..

Hi.. Like the mod.. I mounted a camera on mine there too..

Have you saw the speedometers with the circle of leds for rpm readout?? Might solve two issues there. I think most of them are digital input thou. Even the ones with needles and analog readouts..

My roadking they mounted the tach up there on the handlebar mounts, the speedo is in the normal place in the fatbob....s....
          Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

• firbikrhd1
            • Mar 2001

Originally posted by Peter.
            Nice job!

Needs graining, polishing or sandblasting for a nice even finish

Thank you! I forgot to mention in my original post, this isn't the finished item. I haven't decided whether to chrome or nickle plate it or powder coat it. So, you're correct, it does need polishing and finishing to complete the project. I guess I got so excited about getting this far I posted too early.

Dawai, I'm not too big on the digital/led items. I guess I'm more of a traditionalist. I like a separate analog gauge much better than a combo unit although if they had an combo analog type with dual readouts the size of my original gauge I would have gone that route. It would have been a lot less work, but also would have kept me from having the fun of designing and making this project. In any case, they make a larger combo unit but not one this size. I believe Harley did offer one in the past, but no longer.
            Last edited by firbikrhd1; 05-11-2011, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• sasquatch
              • May 2006

Nice workmanship.

Definetly go Chrome!!!

Comment

• Pherdie
                • Jan 2003

A very nice home shop project.

Thanks for sharing.

Fred

Comment

• topct
                  • Jan 2004

Put's capital letters on the words Home Shop.

I would leave it with some kind of metal finish. Powder coat is being over done these days. It has it's place, just not everywhere.
                  Gene

Comment

• Doozer
                    • Jan 2005

The machining content is excellent, but in my opinion the design does not flow. Placement of the tach looks a bit odd. Maybe bend it up so it is more in your field of vision. The asymmetric look has been done to death by the import crowd, so that's out. Sorry to criticize without offering an alternative idea, but to me the inline flat panel just sticks out at you. Not sure chroming it will help either. Maybe drill some lightening holes.
                    --Doozer
                    DZER

Comment

• firbikrhd1
                      • Mar 2001

Originally posted by Doozer
                      The machining content is excellent, but in my opinion the design does not flow. Placement of the tach looks a bit odd. Maybe bend it up so it is more in your field of vision. The asymmetric look has been done to death by the import crowd, so that's out. Sorry to criticize without offering an alternative idea, but to me the inline flat panel just sticks out at you. Not sure chroming it will help either. Maybe drill some lightening holes.
                      --Doozer
                      I appreciate your honest opinion. Criticism, without personalizing it, makes for improved outcomes. No one mind has all the good ideas. After taking the bike for a ride last night and before seeing your thoughts, I had decided the outcome was OK, but not great. The viewing angle was also OK but if the panel had a slight bend upward it would be better. I am considering a change similar to what you suggested, a bend so the angle of the tach parallels the angle of the handlebars at that point. Something similar to this:

Thanks to all for your kind comments and suggestions!

Comment

Working...
                      X